1. Win some Crucial goodies in OCAU's Christmas Treasure Hunt!
    Dismiss Notice

Which VR headset?

Discussion in 'Video Cards & Monitors' started by summoner, Jul 9, 2018.

1. summoner

summoner Member

I figure since they're a monitor in a way this would be the section to post.

Given the field has had time to mature a bit since the first Oculus Rift DK's came out.. I am thinking I might finally take the plug into getting a headset..

Are there some good websites/resources for VR headsets where I can read up more on pro's/con's on different models?
    What headsets are my fellow OCAUers using?

These days due to limited gaming time mostly play ETS2, TheHunter(Classic mostly), No Mans Land and once I tidy up my office (Full of baby stuff atm) probably get back into iracing and Pure3d/Flightsim stuff..

Is support still like consoles where some games are more geared to 1 headset over another or is it 1 size fits all now? Given the games I tend to play which would best suit me?

I'm using an Alienware R15 R3 gaming laptop mostly these days with a GTX 1060 which is meant to be VR ready/capable and I do have the GPU extender case which I can always throw in a beefier GPU if required, but I imagine laptop may be ok as is with some compromise in texture quality?

Thanks in advance for any answers, completely out of touch these days with games tech.

2. dzajroo

dzajroo Member

First, I would get a better GPU, at least "full-sized 1070" not the laptop m-variant. I remember my 980Ti was dropping frames in quiet few games.

Assuming HTC Vive is the one to go for, proper controllers + room-scale, last time I've checked Oculus was still using xbox controller + sitting only.

HTC Vive has 3rd part software that will allow you to play games that are locked to Oculus

summoner likes this.
  3. Murmandamus

Murmandamus Member

It's been a long time since you checked then. Both support full room scale with tracked controllers since about 6 months after Rift launched. The Oculus controllers are more comfortable to use than the vive wands as well. Oculus room scale tracking can't do as large an area but more than enough for the average room in a house.

Vive - Simpler setup, but it's not like you have to do that often. Slightly better tracking. No facebook.

Oculus - More ergonomic (lighter). Integrated headphones. Better software (steamvr is still a pain sometimes) Much cheaper ( < $650AUD). Wider game support. Better handling of low frame rates (still very smooth at 45fps). More fiddly setup. Ideally needs 3 tracking cameras for full room scale. All need to be usb connected which could be an issue for the laptop. For sims and games like ETS2 you can get away with 1 tracking camera though.

summoner likes this.
  4. dzajroo

dzajroo Member

yeah, that's pretty much how long I had the VR collecting dust, maybe bit longer :)

I don't have spare room, to have the VR constantly setup, so I have to re-deploy, re-setup room scale every time I want to play, it takes about 5 minutes to get everything hooked up and configured, once you get the hang of it. Also it's via steam VR so the configuration is really easy.

I actually prefer the none-integrated headphones option, as I rather use proper headphones rather than the integrated MEH-phones. Are the Oculus controllers and the 2 lighthouses now included with the Oculus VR ? Or you have to buy the HMD + xbox controller and then controllers/lighthouses ?

summoner likes this.
  5. OP
    OP
    summoner

summoner Member

Thanks for the info, you both raise good pros/cons which is making it all a bit of a coin flip at the moment for me. Things such as added controllers aren't a big plus nor is full room tracking given the nature of the games I play but that isn't to say that it wouldn't be useful in the future.

6. nope

nope Member

dont do it desu, i have a 1080 and r56 and i'd consider t hem a bare minimum going forward and vr games dont have very good lighting yet.

summoner likes this.
  7. Sledge

Sledge Member

HTC Vive has a Pro version now which is meant to be better..
    But it's pretty pricey, so not worth the upgrade, but if you're buying brand new with nothing else then i'd say go for the Vive Pro..
    I do like VR (Vive) but unfortunately RL has got in the way too much so haven't used it as much for a while now.. (not that the PC can run it atm as i had to sell GPU to pay vet bills)

LovelyHorse and summoner like this.
  8. LovelyHorse

LovelyHorse Member

I agree that you should first get at least a 1080, there are quite a few going on the shop / swap forum for a cheap ~$550ea.

I've also got both the HTC Vive and Vive Pro, and it's amazing how much better the Pro version is. The screen door effect is much less prominent, and being able to actually read text without too much effort significantly improves the experience overall. I wasn't expecting much improvement going by the Linus' Tech Tips review, which was overall quite negative, though after trying it and being absolutely blown away by how much better it is I realised the only valid criticisms were either cost related or came from people with extremely small heads who didn't find it as comfortable. Personally I find it much much more comfortable.

Another interesting thing to note about the Vive Pro is that I could never really pull proper 'sessions' on the regular Vive (ie playing fallout for 2-3 hours straight was extremely uncomfortable, however the Pro makes it much much more enjoyable. Personally I'd completely abstain from getting a headset at all unless it's the vive pro.

On a side note, I'd also highly suggest getting a proper flight stick and throttle control, or wheel and peddle setup, as Driving and Flight sims in VR (ie. Elite Dangerous, Flight Sim-X, Dirt Rally) are stupid fun and provide imo the best replayability of any VR game.

Last edited: Jul 9, 2018
    nope and summoner like this.
  9. nope

nope Member

8k 244hz or bust, u dont want a small res screen that close to ur eyes alot

10. WRX_STi

WRX_STi Member

I had Pimax 4k, have used Vive normal and own a RIFT.

Rift is the best by far!!
    Vive pro might be a touch better but it's stupid price.
    Keep an eye on Pimax 8k could go either way.

Everyone on the GPU bandwagon has no idea, I went from a 1070 to a 1080Ti and see no improvement in VR and my mate on a 1060 runs similar FPS to me in DCS World.
    CPU will choke, no matter what you run. My 1080Ti sits around 45% usage in VR and CPU is dying one core 100% that's all it can do for draw calls in VR, no CPU on earth can do it properly. I have a 6700 and 2600X, both don't make much a difference.

summoner likes this.
  11. dzajroo

dzajroo Member

I've actually setup the vive again the other weekend to show my mate, 980Ti was dropping frames in Raw Data, while 1080 was dropping none. Not sure about CPU utilisation, but will check most likely tonight, because I'm actually wondering myself if there is any benefit going from Intel 920 + 980Ti to 1080 + 8700K

will share info tonight

WRX_STi likes this.
  12. WRX_STi

WRX_STi Member

interesting, I get no FPS difference with the 1070 or 1080Ti but I use ASW and lock things to 45FPS as none can get 90FPS in a decent game.
    If I turn it off I might get 70FPS on the 1080Ti and 60 on the 1070 but both are rubbish, it has to be 45FPS or 90FPS So you could be correct. I haven't really tested that.

I upgraded my CPU from the Intel 6700 to the Ryzen 2600X and gained a couple FPS.

13. bart5986

bart5986 Member

Everything you've said is wrong and shows you don't know what you are doing.
    I'm not going to bother going into detail but you clearly have a hardware issue you need to look at before you get assistance on the other claims you are making.

To OP:
    If you are rich: Buy a Vive Pro and be prepared to buy another headset in 2019 or 2020.
    If you aren't rich: Wait or buy something cheap to tide you over.

I don't think its the right time to buy a headset as the vive/oculus badly need an upgrade and the vive pro isn't a big enough upgrade for the price they are asking.

Last edited: Jul 11, 2018
  14. RyoSaeba

RyoSaeba Member

Microsoft VR headsets were going for about $300 on gumtree. Not sure if they're still around that price now. Decent gear for the price.

15. Sphinx2000

Sphinx2000 Member

Oculus Rift + Touch bundle at the more affordable $449 USD price, with free delivery.
    https://www.oculus.com/rift/

Includes:
    - 1 x Oculus Headset w/ 4m cable
    - 2 x Oculus Sensors
    - 2 x Oculus Touch Controllers
    - 1 x Xbox One Controller
    - 1 x Oculus Remote

I use it mostly for cockpit VR with sensors mounted around my desk/chair area + HOTAS setup.
    Kids love the stand/play area stuff more.

Last edited: Jul 11, 2018
    summoner likes this.
  16. WRX_STi

WRX_STi Member

I think you're wrong.
    I've got 3 gaming PC's here and two mates with VR, we all come to same conclusions.
    What evidence do you have for talking shit?

17. nope

nope Member

apparently the 8k one is kinda bs but seems interesting, im waiting for lighter wireless sets.

18. WRX_STi

WRX_STi Member

Yeah I had the 4k Pimax, it was such garbage I couldn't stand it. But I just have hopes, why can't someone push the tech!

19. nope

nope Member

Yeah, lack of innovation in VR is whats killing it atm apart from hohum display panel tech and NO GAMES besides technical demos with average graphics.

WRX_STi likes this.
  20. WRX_STi

WRX_STi Member

As for NO games, I agree in the way that nobody is developing anything decent just for VR.
    But I sim a lot and Xplane, DCS and IL-2 is pretty damn sexy in VR. I have also enjoyed Robinson the Journey as a VR only game but that's about it.

summoner likes this.