Which VR headset?

Discussion in 'Video Cards & Monitors' started by summoner, Jul 9, 2018.

1. bart5986

bart5986 Member

Well there you go, I think this would cover most scenarios, and is reasonably priced for what it offers at least. I would still be curious how it handles things like grenades though, I have plenty of games that use those. The side cameras do look angled towards the back, who knows.

HP Reverb is basically dead before its released because of this. The HP Tracking solution is garbage, two cameras won't do anything useful.

2. proffesso

proffesso Member

you need to remember, gaming is only a section of the VR market. I work in enterprise and LBE vr, tons of interest in the reverb

3. PabloEscobar

PabloEscobar Member

The Acer AH101 I've got doesn't run into any issues with throwing (both in Doom and Superhot), it uses sensor data from the motion controllers while they aren't being tracked, and picks them up quick enough once they move back into tracking range. although I'm sure you'd have trouble if you were trying a 'behind the back' throw or something similar.

Arrow shooting with long draws and hold times it struggles with, because of the hand positions.

I think for Room Scale VR at home, inside-out will be the way forward. It offers 'good enough' tracking, and idiot proof setup.

Sphinx2000 likes this.
  4. nope

nope Member

next step wireless 4k and decent battery life, hopefully wont make gen 2 units too heavy

5. Murmandamus

Murmandamus Member

Also people who are only interested in VR for flight/race/space sims. Increased image clarity is much more of a draw than extra tracking cameras.

6. Sipheren

Sipheren Member

Our Vive is still going strong and I would still recommend it over the oculus. (Have used both including the new Vive pro).

The pro is great but to costly, Vive is right on the sweet spot, comes with everything you need, is easy to setup and works a treat. The controllers arent uncomfortable or anything either, they are fine and you soon forget about them anyway.

Last edited: Apr 9, 2019
  7. bart5986

bart5986 Member

You won't find many people who actually want that, for the price it will cost. Your magical headset is already outdated and it won't sell well.

Wireless for VR is always going to be a problem because the resolution keeps going up and wireless is always playing catch up.

I think this is only true for those who purchased it early.

I purchased my Vive for $1230 AUDish and on 1 Mar 2016.

Three years later it will cost $939 AUD for the same package.

For that money I spent I had a futureproof setup and was able to enjoy it for 3 years before it became quite dated.

I purchased the headset only for Pimax 5k which was quite cheap, and can get the headset only for the Valve Index which should also be reasonably priced.

For everyone else its expensive to get into high end VR.

This should be solved soon with the Valve Index, or when Pimax are finally allowed to sell 2.0 base stations.

HTC being only company able to offer base stations means things are way too expensive.

Last edited: Apr 9, 2019
  8. nope

nope Member

Lol the resolutions aint going over 8k for a long time and 4k is hardly outdated considering a 2080ti struggles to run 40-60fps minimum

joerandom likes this.
  9. bart5986

bart5986 Member

Considering The Vive Pro which is low resolution, and low FoV requires image compression to work over wireless, the 5k is miles away, let alone the 8k.

We could be waiting 5 years, who knows.

You are also forgetting that releasing the 8k at 180hz, instead of 90hz would double the required bandwidth over wireless.

You are going to be waiting a loooong time, and you'll be posting in this thread every 6 months whining about it I bet too.

10. Frag_Lord

Frag_Lord Member

Has anyone used any of the WMR headsets for sim racing? This would be a purely seated arrangement for me, so tracking behind me, etc is not necessary. Just looking for something that can still run reasonable fps and look good without crippling my PC.

11. bart5986

bart5986 Member

Literally anything will run fine via SteamVR as you can change the render resolution. FPS can be made to be the same between headsets, outside of FoV differences of course.

Sim racing can be very GPU intensive though, your 1070 will likely be fine as you can use Steam's Motion smoothing.

Last edited: Apr 10, 2019
  12. Frag_Lord

Frag_Lord Member

Cheers mate, I will be upgrading GPU in the future to a 1080/1080ti but this will do for the moment.

13. joerandom

joerandom Member

Just because i like to stir you up and you are a steam VR fanboy.

ASW in the Rift is SO much better for lower end GPU's than steams idea.
    Hehehehe.

14. nope

nope Member

What if i told you... VR.. is... lame[​IMG]

joerandom likes this.
  15. bart5986

bart5986 Member

That was only the case before Steam motion smoothing.

If only you did your research :lol:

16. joerandom

joerandom Member

Alright i'll let you be, but ASW2 looks pretty epic, although it's not something that works for all, developers have to support it, so a shame it will be a dud.

17. Sphinx2000

Sphinx2000 Member

18. joerandom

joerandom Member

YES!
    While ASW is bloody awesome, hello 45fps being good and the impossible 90 out of reach not mattering.... so much.
    That texture or whatever shimmering i do see often, ASW 2 eliminates this.. beautiful.. But again i believe it's not just automatic on the headset for all games but developers have to implement it which i can see failing.

19. bart5986

bart5986 Member

We'll have to wait and see what ASW 2.0 is like, its unlikely to completely solve the issue, they don't seem too confident of this themselves, just that its a lot better.

Features like ASW in my opinion are better suited to simulators like racing games and other seated experiences where being able to raise the graphics a lot is much better then being at 90fps.

20. nope

nope Member

so when is asw 2 coming to other sets like htc and shiz?