Which VR headset?

Discussion in 'Video Cards & Monitors' started by summoner, Jul 9, 2018.

1. boneburner

boneburner Member

*Reviews of the Valve Index have appeared in the wild*

@ ArsTechnica

Tested:

terroristone, bart5986 and Sphinx2000 like this.
  2. Sciflyer

Sciflyer Member

So if you buy the Vive Pro bundle kit, did you always get the V1 lightboxes and V1 controllers? Because that’s what you get now....

3. Luke212

Luke212 Member

they really need to do eye tracking with foveated render because we really need 8k panels at 90Hz+.

the main thing that kills it for me is gazing in to the distance.
    - the resolution is terrible,
    - the rendering engines do not have enough depth queues to make long distances seem real. eg. atmosphereic scattering, global illumination.

the first can be solved by hi res panels, the second by high quality renderers using foveated for efficiency

4. havabeer

havabeer Member

What the he'll kind of home system is going to run 8k at 90hz? Or are you talking 8k per eye which is even more ridiculous

5. Sphinx2000

Sphinx2000 Member

The Valve Index (ultimately better than the pro) bundle kit comes with V2 trackers, but is backwards compatible with V1.

6. Luke212

Luke212 Member

Any machine. Look up foveated rendering. It only renders what the eye is focused on.

7. bart5986

bart5986 Member

There is a lot of hype for foveated rendering but there is no implementation for us to look at the pros and cons and if we are even going to see it anytime soon.

Much better to wait until we have an implementation in my opinion. I'm not a fan of calling things the solution to huge problems as most of the time it doesn't live up to the hype or the implementation is so slow that its not useful.

Seems strange as I thought the bundle had V2 gear as well.

My guess is they have a shortage of v2 sensors.

They want $310 AUD per V2 Controller separately, so it might also be cost, HTC are greedy.

Last edited: Jun 4, 2019
  8. Luke212

Luke212 Member

of course you have to wait for an implementation. its the correct play. we need internal eye trackers though. pretty easy to do.

need lots of memory bandwidth in the gpu though, even to render a blank wall at 8k lol. but its definitely within range of high end cards now.

9. bart5986

bart5986 Member

No, not at all.

1. The hardware has to perform perfectly, for everyone
    2. The game needs special support for it
    3. Once support is enabled, that doesn't mean it will be any good. There are game/engine limitations that can exist that will make the feature ineffective.

Foveated rendering becomes pointless if its noticeable and gives a bad experience. This is why we don't have foveated rendering right now.

We actually have the hardware and the tech right now in some VR demos, its just not very good right now.

What this can also mean is that even if Valve release a perfect foveated rendering solution, we might only see certain future games implement it, and its much less likely in simulators and game ports, which is where you need the performance increase most of the time.

In VR alone we have a long list of very nice VR features from Nvidia that improve performance drastically and many games don't have these features due to the engine, engine version or simply the rendering method they have used.

In Tech alone we hype up features like DX12, multicore CPU support and Vulkan, all of which have very poor implementation. Yes most games do not have proper CPU multicore support, only partial. And they have had many many years to support it.

Last edited: Jun 4, 2019
  10. Luke212

Luke212 Member

true just because its easy doesn't mean people will implement it.

eye tracking is orders of magnitude faster already than the required speed.

so its a matter of implementation.

11. bart5986

bart5986 Member

Just because we can capture the eye at 1000fps, it doesn't mean we can figure out what it means, as well as make changes in a game, before your eye will notice it.

The huge potential performance savings figures are assuming insanely low latency of the game reaction as well as simply not noticing the reduction in quality in your view.

12. Sciflyer

Sciflyer Member

I see what theyve done - if you order the $1900 consumer kit you get the V1 stuff.
    If you order the $2200 commercial kit you get the V2 stuff.

Youre right, thats a bit of a gouge. If the Index is as good as it seems to be then no one in their right mind is going to pay even more money for an inferior kit. Even compared to the Rift S, is the Vive Pro really 3 times better? I think not...

13. Pic0o

Pic0o Member

Kind of cross-post but this looks like the dominant VR equipment thread. I have an Oculus CV1 and just picked up a Rift S. I think the visual quality is a huge improvement over CV1. Hand tracking overall seems good, except for in very dark situations. I used to run a 3 sensor setup with my CV1.

Biggest current Rift S issue is related to setting floor height. Unlike the CV1 and a foot and inches (or centimeter) binding, the Rift S floor setup has you touch the floor. Problem here, is for sitting, you are super low and below in-game standing height with no means to set your floor below what you can physically touch (cannot no-clip irl your floor). I hope this is resolved soon since it is also an inhibiting factor for any persons unable to stand up, when playing VR. It's an inconvenience for me, since I want to sit and play but accessibility wise, I consider it a big deal.

Passthrough is quite nice too. Headphones plug in on the front left side of the Rift S headset. I use earbuds since my over the ear headphones do not go well with the rift on.
    FYI when I say quality of display is better, I mean in-vr text is clearer on Rift S without glasses, than they are in CV1 with glasses on. I also put glasses on for the Rift S and it's super crisp. That's a pretty large win, imho.
    Faults: Yes the static line flashes are a real issue. Midly annoying but not a deal breaker for me. The improvements so far outrank the cons of sitting and static flash. The height should be addressable and possibly the static issue as well, via software fixes.

Sciflyer, gloonk and terroristone like this.
  14. scips

scips Member

Just got the vive wireless adapter.

Cant really notice any viewing/looking lag at all, blade & sorcery when you are battling cordfree is just full pace. Really worked up a sweat in endless mode.

Pairing it up with my proper wifi earbuds is just immersion+++

Apparently any QC3.0 powerbank can be used, the anker 10k mah one is almost the same dimensions too.

Last edited: Aug 1, 2019
  15. Sphinx2000

Sphinx2000 Member

Maybe VR isn't dead after all... - Valve Index

16. bobsled

bobsled Member

Bought the Index controllers last month but sold them to a mate for USD cost and import, then bought the full Index kit (delivered yesterday). The controllers are amazing!!

Upgrading from an OG Vive. Does anyone else here have an Index?

Sphinx2000 likes this.
  17. PabloEscobar

PabloEscobar Member

I've got a G920 now, and am using my WMR headset in iRacing, Needing to run WMR, and SteamVR is frustration, if I don't launch WMR, then translational movement isn't tracked, and with 3DOF I start to feel sick very quickly.

18. Revenger

Revenger Member

What's the current state of VR?

No Man's Sky Beyond looks like a good lose yourself in your own world thing I've played the game on and off since launch.

Was thinking of possibly picking a headset at some stage for it and the Illusion anime games but don't really know what to go for.

I know technology will change dramatically as it's still fairly young from what I can see.
    There's no like Second Life or MMO VR like Sword Art / Ready Player One yet.

No Man's Sky Beyond seems the first of that generation with infinite worlds and being able to build what you want and go racing with others etc etc etc.

Sciflyer likes this.
  19. bart5986

bart5986 Member

I think its great but I think GPU's are not improving fast enough for the current resolution/FOV of headsets (Index, Pimax)

We are unlikely to see anything decent, most of this is because the multiplayer playerbase for VR is quite poor.

I haven't worn the index before, but all the other headsets are not that comfortable for your head or eyes for a long period of time. The Index potentially helps with its higher frequency but its still not that comfortable I imagine. You also need max FPS for your frequency for the most comfort.

It does vary from person to person though.

20. terroristone

terroristone Member

I agree gpu power is lacking, they should be able to do 4K at 144hz at least.

I bought the rift s and it is very comfortable, I can’t comment on the rest of them but I can’t imagine they are all that bad. As above it all depends on the person.