1. OCAU Merchandise now available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion here.
    Dismiss Notice

Which VR headset?

Discussion in 'Video Cards & Monitors' started by summoner, Jul 9, 2018.

1. Revenger

Revenger Member

Virtual Oasis posted a video about modding the Rift S headstrap etc.

2. terroristone

terroristone Member

i watched it, not too keen on it, ive got no issues with how my rift s feels on my head, id be concerned that over time the headset may fall off with only being double sided taped on. I'd like to see the official one they are making and how that fits to the main unit.

T1

3. Revenger

Revenger Member

Yea not too keen myself, the only thing I can take away is the replacement padding being removable with Velcro.

terroristone likes this.
  4. terroristone

terroristone Member

i agree with that, the replacement of the visor section looks good and would possibly make it a bit more comfortable, but may also push the headset slightly more off your head lowering fov

5. Sphinx2000

Sphinx2000 Member

Oculus announce new update soon to connect Oculus Quest to PC via USB-C to play Rift games:
    https://www.pcgamer.com/you-will-so...s-quest-headset-into-a-pc-to-play-rift-games/

Pretty cool, but this will make the Rift S redundant?

terroristone likes this.
  6. Nethiuz

Nethiuz Member

It's nice, i like the inside out tracking for sure. But i didn't pull the trigger because of the same old 110 FOV.

Picked up an Index and i think i hit the best of the bunch in VR. I have Pimax, Vive and Rift.
    The audio is amazing on that thing too and windows thinks it is headphones so you can use "Dolby Atmos for Headphones" with it. Crikey.. so lovely!

7. Sciflyer

Sciflyer Member

Part of the answer to that lies with Oculus themselves of course but from a personal POV i dont think so, the Rift S despite having slightly lower-res displays has better tracking due to extra camera and will have better image quality that the Quest even when the Quest is PC-linked, because it will be using compression to stream data to the headset

Also if your primary gaming PC is a laptop, there isnt the same benefit to having a play-anywhere Quest as there would be vs. some other headset and a fixed playing location due to non-portable PC and/or basestation setup

8. Talaii

Talaii Member

I have a quest and an original rift (CV1) and I played a bunch of demos over the few days of PAX, most of which used the Rift S.
    I can honestly say I'm more tempted to buy the Rift S now - it's noticably more comfortable for me than the quest - which is too front-heavy and not particularly comfortable - and the original rift; and the display doesn't feel like a step down from either. Would my opinion on that change with another 10-20 hours in the headset? Maybe, but if I was looking to buy into PCVR right now, it would be my first choice by a long way.

The other question is how well will link work - it's definitely not going to be as good as a HDMI/Displayport connection, encoding/decoding adds latency and lowers quality. Hopefully it'll be 90%+ of the PCVR experience (whereas I'd rate wireless streaming to the quest as ~40-50% currently, I haven't had a very pleasant experience trying it).

Sphinx2000 likes this.
  9. theSeekerr

theSeekerr Member

[QUOTE="Talaii, post: 18338818, member: 44548"The other question is how well will link work - it's definitely not going to be as good as a HDMI/Displayport connection, encoding/decoding adds latency and lowers quality. Hopefully it'll be 90%+ of the PCVR experience (whereas I'd rate wireless streaming to the quest as ~40-50% currently, I haven't had a very pleasant experience trying it).[/QUOTE]

All the previews made it sounds like they had the latency sorted - the bigger issue seems to be that 72Hz just isn't as comfortable as 90/120.

10. bart5986

bart5986 Member

72hz is not comfortable at all.

Even if you can handle the lack of smoothness due to the lower refresh rate, at 72hz you can actually see the lack of high refresh rate in brighter areas, its very uncomfortable on my eyes.

11. Talaii

Talaii Member

I'm hopeful - looking forward to it, honestly; I would love it to work well. But I've heard a lot of people say similar things about latency with wireless streaming, and my experience of that has been anything but pleasant. Turns out different people are differently sensitive, I guess.

12. cdtoaster

cdtoaster Member

i had the Dell WMR and wasn't a huge fan, granted i didn't try that many games before i sold it and maybe they released some patches to improve usability. i was definitely skeptical of the Rift S especially since the specs are equal or lower than the WMR on paper. A friend brought one over and i got to try it in the Occulus "intro game", Space Pirate Trainer, Holodance and Operation Warcade. Overall the experience felt far more refined, i didn't have the same issue reading text or using the controls to navigate menus, it just felt more intuitive. some of it might have just been better software designed but i really enjoyed using it, i was going to wait a gen or 2 before trying again but i'm really tempted to get the Rift S now. I still had the issues of motion sickness when i was inside of moving vehicles, i hope wider FOV, higher refresh rates and refined development techniques will address that. old games like Wolfenstein3d and Blakestone made me feel the exact same way.

13. nope

nope Member

14. Sphinx2000

Sphinx2000 Member

Last edited: Nov 30, 2019
  15. sTeeLzor

sTeeLzor Member

I feel like theres no answer. I am ready to buy but without a general consensus on whats great, then I feel none are good neough for the amount I would be shelling out.

16. GoneFishin22

GoneFishin22 Member

but the prawn videos.............

17. bart5986

bart5986 Member

Virtual Reality is a premium space to be in.

Just get something second hand if you want to try it out for a while first.

18. nope

nope Member

the headsets are like 200-300usd now dont let our shitty aud put you off its a good time to get in alot of good new games coming out boneworks this year then alyx next year

19. Revenger

Revenger Member

There's 3 options of headsets in order these below are the general consensus from online from my looking.

Top is Valve Index but Pricey, need Revive for Oculus stuff.
    Next is Oculus Rift S for PC gaming, Plays all PC games.
    Then there is Oculus Quest, mainly portable and some PC with a link cable.

These are your main 3 options in the market currently.
    Others are all varied like Pimax WMR etc and for those that want something a little different from mainstream for whatever reason.
    So take your pick of the above 3 based on wants.

20. grrrr

grrrr Member

is it possible to get light houses to use with the pimax yet? (without buying a vive2 pro kit and selling the head set).