Which VR headset?

Discussion in 'Video Cards & Monitors' started by summoner, Jul 9, 2018.

1. bart5986

bart5986 Member

Gen 2 from who?

Companies are struggling to come up with a Gen 2 headset from what I can see, lots of Gen 1.5 headsets because the technology doesn't exist for a headset to have all positives and no negatives.

Pimax is the only company doing Gen 2 in my opinion, despite the fact that its not perfect.

Nethiuz likes this.
  2. nope

nope Member

Everyone? WMR is basically dead so dont count on that getting another gen

3. Nethiuz

Nethiuz Member

Ebay, some dude in Carolina sent it to me brand new unopened box. Got it for a good price too. Arrived within a week. :)
    Vive Pro is pretty sweet, but the FOV made me open my wallet so much faster than anything HTC could offer.

4. bart5986

bart5986 Member

Most companies do not have a gen 2 headset in development, at least publicly.

And based on history, companies are more interested in taking an existing headset and putting bells and whistles on it, rather then a proper gen 2 headset.

5. ChinoPD

ChinoPD Member

Risky Nethiuz. I don't think I'll go down the eBay path.

Which ones? I'm genuinely curios. Also, Oculus isn't even in my shortlist for a very obvious reason, so they were never a consideration. I could get a Vive Pro set now if I was super impatient, locally. But I too, want the wider FOV + the higher refresh rate!

6. bart5986

bart5986 Member

Not sure what your exact question is.

The Pimax is the main next gen headset, its really miles ahead of the competition.

Some of the best choices from Pimax:

Pimax 8k X (Native 8k, 3840x2160 per eye, 200 FoV, )
    Pimax 5k+ (Native 5k, 2560x1440 per eye, 200 FoV, and 120hz,) And 144hz is coming soon in an update.
    Pimax 5k Super (Coming Soon) (200 FoV and 180hz)

For comparison

Valve Index: 130 FoV, 1440×1600 per eye (Compared to 3840x2160 of the Pimax 8k X), and 120/144hz

Vive pro: 110 FoV, 90hz and 1400 x 1600 per eye.

My summary:

The Vive Pro is not worth the money, its seriously outdated.

The Index is no where near as good as the Pimax in terms of specs.

The Pimax is not as polished as I assume the Index is, the price of being on the cutting edge of technology. Valve are always going to be ahead in terms of game/software support.

What you purchase is up to you, but I can tell you that The Index/Pimax 5k/Vive Pro still has plenty of SDE depending on what you are using.

The 8k X looks great, but I've never used one.

Last edited: Feb 4, 2020
  7. Nethiuz

Nethiuz Member

Why not? PayPal is the best thing ever invented.
    I have had them support me on some buyer protection claims no dramas at all, in fact the issues i had weren't with eBay.

I've stopped using other forms of payment as the bank is difficult and reluctant to issue chargebacks when things go wrong, i have also stopped using PCCG and other well known PC retailers because i always find the part i want cheaper with Postage included on eBay.

8. ChinoPD

ChinoPD Member

Yeah I'm quite new to the VR scene. I should have been more specific, the question is what Gen 2 headsets are there for the home category. I've seen the Pimax, but haven't looked into in depth only because I know I don't have the hardware to drive it. 5k - 8k is ridiculous, my rig may be able to drive it but I want a smooth experience gaming, not a slideshow. That's all it's intended use is at home, no need for complex professional/design application, just purely home entertainment.

Fair enough, I felt similarly RE: Vive Pro. It's marginally cheaper even when I compare it to the Index which to me offers a bit more, but not too much more. I've tried the Vive Pro.

nope likes this.
  9. bart5986

bart5986 Member

VR doesn't really work like that.

Everyone wants the highest resolution headset possible, even if they can't drive it at that resolution.

This is because we can adjust the render resolution in the SteamVR control panel, you can adjust it to any resolution you want.

There is a performance hit for increased FoV, but you can also lower this.

Also a lot of VR games that are made specifically for VR have very low hardware requirements, it depends what you want to play.

You also have Motion Smoothing which essentially doubles your FPS, its not perfect but works very well in certain games.

Either way the whole point here is to avoid the huge problems with VR, some of these are

Screen Door Effect (Fixed with higher resolution headset)
    Godrays (Pimax has almost none)
    Motion sickness (Fixed with higher refresh rate and FoV)

So basically I wouldn't be avoiding a high resolution headset because you think you don't have the GPU for it, as its going to work fine and also means you don't have to upgrade your VR headset if you upgrade your GPU.

Also about the Index: Don't forget about the Index controllers which are a huge upgrade on the Vive Controllers.

ChinoPD likes this.
  10. ChinoPD

ChinoPD Member

Thanks for that, I very much appreciate it! I don’t deny that I’ll have more reading to go. These things are really good to know. I’ve heard about god rays. Am familiar with motion sickness too, I didn’t experience it with the Vive Pro however I didn’t play it for very long.

11. Sphinx2000

Sphinx2000 Member

Auspost have a US shipping service called Shopmate, they charge in AUD not USD, and handle import GST for you:
    https://shopmate.auspost.com.au/

Based on $999 USD item that weighs 8Kg at 23L x 15.5W x 8.5H inches - shipping + tax calculator says $107.10 AUD
    https://shopmate.auspost.com.au/our-rates/shipping-calculator

They also offer Extra Cover for items valued up to $5,000 AUD. It covers against loss, theft or damage of your parcel while being shipped by Auspost.
    It costs $2.75 AUD (including GST) per $100 AUD of your parcel’s value.

FYI

coolroy and Nethiuz like this.
  12. nope

nope Member

13. ChinoPD

ChinoPD Member

Looks like I'm shit out of luck in ordering the Index kit, I believe it's still in backorder. Huhuhuhu, I'm tempted to go for Option 2 (Vive Pro Kit).

nope likes this.
  14. nope

nope Member

option 3 piimax

15. Nethiuz

Nethiuz Member

Why would you get Vive Pro when Cosmos is better?

Christ the index kits on ebay are 3 grand, hah yeah you're fucked there. I got hell lucky.

16. MotoMan

MotoMan Member

The Cosmos has the worst tracking on any headset available I believe..

17. Nethiuz

Nethiuz Member

Really? So they stuffed it up?
    Well here I was thinking inside out was the go.
    How's the Rift handle it? Which one has it S or something? Hmmm. I'm more than happy to stick with lighthouses.

18. nope

nope Member

Nothing can be worse than WMR

19. MotoMan

MotoMan Member

Inside out tracking works ok most of the time.. The cosmos somehow managed to stuff it up with 6 cameras onboard.. There are several reviews and youtube videos about it.

I have the Samsung Odyssey+ which is a great first headset.. especially considering the $450 I paid for it brand new
    I'm shopping for my next one now.. Would purchase a Valve index in an instant if it was available locally.
    Also considering a Pimax 5k Super.. but want to see real user reviews first

Nethiuz likes this.
  20. proffesso

proffesso Member