1. OCAU Merchandise now available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion here.
    Dismiss Notice

Which VR headset?

Discussion in 'Video Cards & Monitors' started by summoner, Jul 9, 2018.

1. Sphinx2000

Sphinx2000 Member

No thanks. See latest drama: https://uploadvr.com/pimax-support-situation-update/

TLDR; Pimax COO admitted "it's unfortunate that all Pimax service and support now comes out of Shanghai" in an interview when questioned about support complaints, This was then mentioned by the UploadVR website in a recent article. Afterwards some Pimax director chucked a public and unprofessional hissy fit on Twitter about it, announcing a ban on UploadVR from all Pimax events and interviews from now on... and they even threatened them with legal action... Red Flags! :rolleyes:

Last edited: Feb 14, 2020
    nope and Nethiuz like this.
  2. nope

nope Member

Wait they spazzed out at upvr ?
    Why i thought those guys where fairly well known and based within the vr scene? Fuck giving poomax money then

3. Nethiuz

Nethiuz Member

I almost grabbed the Pimax 5k plus but I had the 4k and it was very very bad. 5k+ looks decent however from people who have it I keep hearing the fishbowl distortion at the edges kills immersion and I don't really want that.

nope likes this.
  4. bart5986

bart5986 Member

You can just reduce the FoV a little to get rid of the distortion. It also depends on the game as to if the distortion is noticeable at the maximum FoV. Many people claim not notice it at all (But I do) Probably dependant on your eye IPD or something, my IPD is quite high.

Pimax is not a perfect product, but its easily the technically superior product that makes most other headsets poor value in my opinion.

I think the other option is the Valve Index, but its definitly lacking compared to the Pimax, but has a lot of polish.

For my next headset I would easily buy a Pimax 8k X or whatever else they have if other headsets have not caught up with the resolution and FoV they have.

Resolution matters so much for VR and even 8k is not enough, so people should always try to get the highest possible, as well as other features like FoV, good tracking etc.

Its probably a good time to remind everyone that headset resolution has mostly nothing to do with computer hardware required to run the headset. This is due to being able to set the render resolution in Steam.

Last edited: Feb 17, 2020
    nope and Nethiuz like this.
  5. boneburner

boneburner Member

Last edited: May 30, 2020
    Sciflyer and Nethiuz like this.
  6. Ap0c

Ap0c Member

very exciting :)

7. Nethiuz

Nethiuz Member

Decent.
    Here is specs for the quick info: https://uploadvr.com/new-hp-reverb-g2-specs/

For the price for a full kit, it is great value for money for the everybody group to get into some great VR resolution.
    However for me the 114 FOV and 90Hz is a downgrade so i'm patiently awaiting some Gen 3/4 stuff.

8. grrrr

grrrr Member

i haven't looked in a while ... can we buy V2 lighthouses and base stations yet? Like separately?

9. Sciflyer

Sciflyer Member

inside out tracking is the way to go IMO, stuff having to have base stations everywhere

i’ve had a Rift S since last year, i think i could count on one hand the number of times i’ve noticed any tracking loss, it really is that solid.

The S and the Quest are the price sweet spot right now, the more expensive Cosmos and Index (assuming you could get one) are nowhere near twice as good considering they are 2 to 3 times the price.

To someone buying their first headset i would not even think of recommending anything over $1000, certainly not with the current options available.

terroristone likes this.
  10. Nethiuz

Nethiuz Member

My mate bought his first boat for $45k. It goes out twice a year.
    I think even $5k for a hobby you'll use often is completely worth it...

Lots of people spend more time on their computer than in their car, yet buy some shitheap $90k SUV that can't even go offroad then buy budget PC parts. Stuff that if it's a hobby, you enjoy it and spend hours in/on it, Go big!

terroristone likes this.
  11. MotoMan

MotoMan Member

I've got a HP Reverb (G1 ver 2) and it is amazing for simulators.. But the cord is just way too thick for anything movement based...

So I've also recently bought a Quest.. I think true wireless freedom is going to be amazing..

The other big thing on the horizon is dumb headsets powered by your smartphone..

The quest is only powered by a Snapdragon 835..

Could only imagine the upgrade of Snapdragon 865

Nethiuz likes this.
  12. Sciflyer

Sciflyer Member

When the price of AAA titled games is an issue for most people im going to suggest blowing $1000-$1500 on a VR headset would also be too, particularly as the number of AAA games with full VR integration is still pretty low. You might have cash burning a hole in your pocket but im sure most people like to get some value for money?

A Rift S is $650
    A Cosmos is $1300
    An Index is $1500, plus the cost to get one here

The only scenario where i would recommend either a Cosmos or an Index to someone looking to buy their first headset was if they had just won the lotto. Actually thinking about it, given that a Cosmos is overall only marginally better than an S, at twice the price i wouldnt recommend one at all.

13. Nethiuz

Nethiuz Member

Fair enough but i got the index for $1100 AUD not $1500.
    Winning the lotto has nothing to do with it, people spend $300 a night on restaurants and nights out, what is $2k even for 1000 hours of hobby?

14. Sciflyer

Sciflyer Member

You dont have to justify your purchase to me, im cool with it - but i think you massively overestimate the average person's willingness to blow that sort of money on VR at this point. The amount of whining from the non-VR havers when Halflife Alyx came out is proof of this.

I personally think the way to get into VR right now is to spend just enough to have something reasonable while you wait for the next gen headsets to come out

Nethiuz likes this.
  15. Nethiuz

Nethiuz Member

I guess i am a hardcore simmer, so it means more to me. Most people just want to play basic VR games. At least HL Alyx helped VR move more into the mainstream and the effects should be better, cheaper and more options in the future :)
    Win win for everyone.

Sciflyer likes this.
  16. dANiel_

dANiel_ Member

How did you get the index for $1100?

17. Nethiuz

Nethiuz Member

eBay. $850USD i think 6 months ago. [Including postage from Chicago so that was like $200]
    Just the headset as i had the vive bits for tracking. Now they are even pricier on there and a full set which is pointless to me is like $2.5k. Crazy when demand > supply.

Last edited: Jun 1, 2020
    dANiel_ likes this.
  18. proffesso

proffesso Member

I liked the reverb v1, v2 should be better. not enough to interest me though, another incremental upgrade. I wont bother upgrading at home until 8k old, lightweight headsets are out. I've got a varjo at the office on a full motion sim...everything else res-wise pales :D

these days we are finding most of our customers want to go tether-less now. portability / ease of use outweighs anything else. I wonder how long tethered only will last...

19. leighzor

leighzor Member

was about to buy a reverb g1 until i saw reverb g2 is coming out soon.. i'll just hold off.

mostly for use with racing simulator, but will play some other normal vr games too

Nethiuz likes this.
  20. Sciflyer

Sciflyer Member

Exactly, this is why basestation-tracked systems will go the way of the Dodo. Not sure that inside-out systems will disappear quite so fast until they can fit gaming PC processing power onto the headset itself without requiring a 10kg battery and cooking your hair :)