1. Win some Crucial goodies in OCAU's Christmas Treasure Hunt!
    Dismiss Notice

Which VR headset?

Discussion in 'Video Cards & Monitors' started by summoner, Jul 9, 2018.

1. bart5986

bart5986 Member

You can't get tearing as vsync is forced on and can't be disabled.

2. nope

nope Member

so you get the lag from the vsync? God thats terrible no wonder people get motion sickness it would be horribly noticable in VR.

Is freesync 2 going to work with vr?
    LiquidVR looks interesting but theres no info on what games support it?

3. bart5986

bart5986 Member

No, there is no input lag from vsync in VR.

There is no need for freesync or anything else, it wouldn't add anything.

VR is built around low latency in general, you just need to ensure you have the computer to run your game at 90fps, as the Vive/Oculus are 90hz.

Just to repeat myself, you can use reprojection, but its not recommended for games where you don't sit in a chair.

4. nope

nope Member

90hz seems a little slow though? 244hz on dp1.5 would be the go at 2k-4k resolution

5. bart5986

bart5986 Member

There isn't a phone sized panel that exists that can go that far.

90hz is considered the latest and greatest with the resolutions coming out (vive pro or pimax 8k) for example

Part of this reason though is because of the fps lock.

a 244hz screen would not be playable by 99% of gamers, and you would have to only play simple low graphical games.

You can't get 244fps in Skyrim normally, its not going to happen in VR.

Last edited: Jul 13, 2018
  6. nope

nope Member

with multi core 7nm gpu's 244hz is possible at 4k, no consumer versions yet sadly their all for server related shit

7. bart5986

bart5986 Member

Even if you put two 1080ti's together you probably can't get 100fps in modern games at 4k, how are you planning to get 244fps?

8. nope

nope Member

im thinking amd is gonna go full retard and shove 4 vega/navi cores on the same board/chip with a interconnect like ryzen infinity fabric that runs through the HBM2+ its the only way forward.

9. Murmandamus

Murmandamus Member

OP, VR is something you need to experience for yourself to really decide. VR brings a level of immersion that far exceeds what you can get on a monitor, especially for sims. The cost is lower display fidelity and higher system requirements. For some the loss of visuals isn't acceptable. For others it's immersion > all else. That's something you can only decide for yourself. Find someone who is willing to demo it to you (PC VR, not mobile), or head to a microsoft store where they have demo stations set up. Or just grab a Rift and see how it goes.

Always amazes me how some people argue against VR, how it's not ready etc, when they've never even tried it.

This might still be true for Vive, but it's not for Oculus/Windows MR headsets. DCS runs at 45fps for me in VR and while it would be a bit smoother at 90, 45 is perfectly acceptable. I've cranked the settings in SkyrimVR to the point where I was getting 45fps and it was hard to tell the difference. Same with PCars2 depending on the car/track combo and I can't tell the difference when racing. ASW on Rift does a very good job of making 45fps work just fine. Windows MR headsets also have ASW.

https://developer.oculus.com/blog/asynchronous-spacewarp/

ASW is why Oculus lowered their min system requirements from a 1070/980Ti to a 1060/970.

Looking forward to see how pimax 8k goes. It's 2x4k panels, but it's upscaling in the headset from 4k to 8k so it shouldn't have a big performance hit compared to vive pro/odyssey. As bart5986 said, it should give a much clearer image due to lower screen door effect. Shame they don't sell the Odyssey here.

Sphinx2000 likes this.
  10. WRX_STi

WRX_STi Member

What the hell happened in here? hahaha.

I love ASW, 45FPS is just fine for me, shame I can't keep it there a lot of the time. Stutter is bad when it dips below but still better than turning it off and running the blurry mess that ensues.

11. WRX_STi

WRX_STi Member

Thank you, this is good. :thumbup:

12. nope

nope Member

90hz isnt enough for low latency vr gaming especially with 2d traditional monitors pushing 244hz now

13. bart5986

bart5986 Member

Games like DCS at 45fps are fine on the Vive as well, its just games with a lot of movement are what cause a lot of issues with certain people. Also Skyrim at least for me isn't a big deal because I use trackpad movement.

The big killer is moving around the room, ASW helps but it doesn't change the fact that 90fps offers a noticeably better experience.

You and me can play with some reprojection, use trackpad and do other things that heavily increase the nausea potential because we are used to VR and we are lucky enough to not be as affected by it, but I demo VR to plenty of people and I would say the average person is sensitive to VR.

I do wish Vive would hurry up and get ASW though, its coming "soon"

Technically the Pimax 8k only has a performance hit because of the FOV. SteamVR resolution is so easy to change that you just need to have it as high as you can handle.

Rendering in 8k on the Pimax is still going to be the aim, not that any of our cards can handle it... haha. Outputting an 8k image, resizing to 4k then back to 8k will have some image degradation, especially on text, however the rendered image from the game will be so crisp, and we will have very little SDE, it should look amazing. This logic is based on PC monitors anyway.

14. Sphinx2000

Sphinx2000 Member

Exactly, especially in cockpit games - the immersion is far greater than a higher def flat screen equivalent (even with head tracking).
    OP, I also play many VR games at around 45-55 FPS with no problems at all (Oculus with ASW). Your laptop should be VR ready to give it a try, Ignore the armchair naysayers.

WRX_STi likes this.
  15. OP
    OP
    summoner

summoner Member

Thanks! After reading both sides of the argument I still think i'll commit to it once I'm back from next work trip.

It is mostly about immersion in cockpit games for me and stuff like iracing really doesn't tax graphics much at all, nor ETS2.

16. bart5986

bart5986 Member

As someone who owns ETS2 and ATS, its very taxing to make look good and crisp, more taxing then many of my other games due to poor optimisation and no VR performance features.

But as already mentioned, you don't move or use your controllers so 45fps with ASW will be good enough

17. nope

nope Member

1080ti's aint especially good at VR.
    better dx12/vulkan api's and foveated rendering with newer cards with better async/prim/shader support on both sides should help alleviate the bottlenecks found in todays game engines and renders.

18. bart5986

bart5986 Member

But still won't achieve 244fps that you wanted.

90fps is a practical fps to get in VR games, any higher and its beyond an enthusiast PC and becomes rich people only.

19. nope

nope Member

90fps is too slow, 144-240hz+ is ideal

20. Roger

Roger Member

So I foolishly just read the whole thread and I still don't know what VR headsets people are using, it's hard to tell with all the dick swinging happening in the thread, can't we all just go get drunk and be friends? :D

How are the Windows MR headsets compared to the Vive and Rift? I've been looking at getting a headset for a while, but I have a i5 3570k and its been a little confusing trying to work out whether this will be enough.

nope and WRX_STi like this.