1. OCAU Merchandise now available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion here.
    Dismiss Notice

Which VR headset?

Discussion in 'Video Cards & Monitors' started by summoner, Jul 9, 2018.

1. leighzor

leighzor Member

Which VR headset should i get for driving sim racing? Quest or reverb? Or something else? Budget is up to $1000

2. bart5986

bart5986 Member

I'm assuming you mean the HP Reverb G2, if so out of those two, HP for sure.

The quest is much more suitable for a wireless roomscale use rather then a driving sim, and a lot of people say the pc linking is not perfect.

I would make sure you have a look at all the headsets and decide exactly what you want from your VR experience.

In a driving sim, resolution and FoV are important, as well as a powerful computer to run it as ported games are generally not well optimised.

Last edited: Jun 24, 2020
  3. leighzor

leighzor Member

I was going to wait for the G2.. but I'm getting a bit antsy, so was thinking of just picking up the G1.. Is the G1 still a good option?

Running a GTX1070 would probably have to upgrade to a 2070 Super or similar, but again 3000 series coming out soon, it seems both things I want are soon to be replaced!

4. bart5986

bart5986 Member

The G1 has some picture quality downsides compared to the G2, among other things. I would be cautious of getting one, especially if you are thinking about spending decent $$$ on the 3000 series.

I would look at every single headset and weigh up what you want, Valve Index, Pimax, Rift S etc.

There are huge differences between the headsets and you don't want to buy a headset and immediately wish you had something more suitable to what you want/imagined.

Personally I find simulators troublesome because they expose lower end GPU's as well as screen door effect in your headset because of low resolution (As simulators often have you looking far into the distance instead of made for VR games that design the world so you aren't looking at details in the far distance)

5. hellaflush

hellaflush Member

I would try to find as many actual comparisons as possible as opposed to individual bias opinions. Do your own research bud!

I went with the Rift S after trying several different units and couldn't be happier at the pricepoint

6. MotoMan

MotoMan Member

I'll have a brand new HP Reverb for sale shortly..
    I purchased one a month back.. Noticed a dead pixel and have a new replacement headset arriving tomorrow.

I'm completely satisfied with my Quest for now.
    I think my next headset won't be until either the Index is available locally... Or the Quest 2.0 next year

7. bart5986

bart5986 Member

This is a very well done through the lens video covering many high end headsets and includes simulator games.

8. Sciflyer

Sciflyer Member

I run a 1070 and Rift S and can run Assetto Corsa with decent gfx at the Rift S’s framerate most of the time. Lots of cars on screen or poorly optimised sections of track can kill fps but that’s usually only temporary.

9. TheOneWhoIsMany

TheOneWhoIsMany Member

I've had a Rift S with a GTX 1070, As far as I can tell Alyx ran perfectly for me. I borrowed a friends HTC Vive a couple years back and not having to deal with external tracking is a major bonus, also at its price point and availability I think it’s much more convenient that the Index.

That said I’d love more resolution and framerate, I’m really looking forward to next gen headsets give me higher resolution, eye tracking, varifocal displays and foveated rendering!

10. leighzor

leighzor Member

Did a bit more research today and thinking maybe the Rift S then go to Reverb G2 once that comes out or if I enjoy the Rift S. The Rift S seems to be a good price point to get started.

Sciflyer likes this.
  11. leighzor

leighzor Member

I actually ended up purchasing a Quest. The girlfriend liked the idea of being able to play on it stand alone by herself, so I'll use this for sim racing as well until the Reverb G2 comes out :)

proffesso, MotoMan and Nethiuz like this.
  12. Elmf

Elmf Member

After some advice - what the hell can an Oculus Rift DK2 be used for nowadays? Can you get it to work with SteamVR or completely unsupported?

13. Nethiuz

Nethiuz Member

Ughhh so changing my PC case i noticed when i plugged back in the Index there is 3 plugs, Power, Display Port and USB. I never had the USB plugged in before.
    Now i have the USB one plugged in there is annoying LEDS on the front of the headset i don't want to see, actually what the hell are they for? what is the USB plug for? It worked 100% when i didn't have it plugged in.
    Google didn't help me.

14. Sciflyer

Sciflyer Member

:shock:

Nethiuz likes this.
  15. leighzor

leighzor Member

Am I correct in saying when buying games on my Quest that I can't download those games on the Oculus PC application? That's kind of annoying, if you wanted to play them through link for PC graphics you'd have to buy the same game again?

Also best way to get Alyx working wireless with Quest? I've seen a few methods out there, I'm thinking rather than using the link cable just wireless to stop any tripping up over myself.

16. MotoMan

MotoMan Member

Virtual Desktop is the easiest way to play steam VR games wireless

17. leighzor

leighzor Member

Wow it's amazing just played some Alyx wireless, worked great!

I think I'll just play everything wireless now, no need for link cable.

proffesso and MotoMan like this.
  18. Talaii

Talaii Member

It's up to the developers. Many games are cross-buy - if you buy the quest version, you get the PC version too. But not all. Generally I've found most of the ones that aren't are the release lineup on the quest - things like Superhot and Beat Saber (though the DLC is cross-buy).

If you look at a game in the quest store, it'll tell you what platforms it runs on (either 'Quest' or 'Rift, Quest') - or in the PC Oculus store look for 'Supports Quest'.

ssar likes this.
  19. MaximusSmurf

MaximusSmurf Member

I impulse bought a Quest last night only to read this morning that the Quest 2.0 looks to be due ~mid Sept... so cancelled and will try and hold out till that is out. Be interesting to see what the next version changes are.

20. spit051261

spit051261 Member

Is the vive pro eye with wireless worth getting .
    Fancy something different to try.