1. OCAU Merchandise now available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion here.
    Dismiss Notice

Which VR headset?

Discussion in 'Video Cards & Monitors' started by summoner, Jul 9, 2018.

1. taldoren

taldoren Member

Sooo, just about to hit week 9 since Index order was placed, Each week has to be a step closer right...

2. bart5986

bart5986 Member

I doubt there is any game support for it, only worth it if you are developing your own I bet.

3. boneburner

boneburner Member

Facebook finally removes the last layer of separation between itself and Oculus products.

In a press release, Facebook confirms that going forward any new Oculus product will require a Facebook account to use. If you already have an account, you’ll be prompted to permanently merge your account. If you don’t, you’ll be able to use the headset normally until 2023, at which point official support will end.

edit: normally i dont double post - but will make an exception for this (expected really) bit of dickery - so will post in general games news too.

News via: ArsTechnica

Last edited: Aug 19, 2020
    whatdoesthisdo likes this.
  4. whatdoesthisdo

whatdoesthisdo Member

Looks like i am never buying an oculus then.

Nethiuz likes this.
  5. Sphinx2000

Sphinx2000 Member

lol at all the people crying out for refunds, the development/subsidised price of Oculus gear would not be possible without FB money..
    That being said, in 2023 I could just create a burner FB account just for VR with nothing else linked to it, or start looking at what else is around by then.. but hardly panic stations.

6. whatdoesthisdo

whatdoesthisdo Member

I just don't ever want their software on any of my devices. If you log into FB you better believe they are going to track everything you do. I have a real problem with that.

7. Sciflyer

Sciflyer Member

This does suck but as the owner of a fake-name FB account its not the end of the world. I doubt i'll even have a Rift S in 3 years' time

MaximusSmurf likes this.
  8. MaximusSmurf

MaximusSmurf Member

I truly don't understand this. You don't need to have FB on any of your devices. Private browser, create account. Make it private, add password to your password manager. Use it to log onto device. It's just an authentication method if you choose it to be. Happy to be proven wrong but hardly seems like the end of the world or something worth boycotting a device for.

And great point Sphinx2000 re: FB money. There's a reason the Oculus is the best value headset on the market.

Sciflyer and Sphinx2000 like this.
  9. Sciflyer

Sciflyer Member

10. bart5986

bart5986 Member

$1099 is a lot of money for a headset that was already outdated a year and a half ago.

11. theSeekerr

theSeekerr Member

Yeah, but what's the alternative? Just wait and hope that a display of similar resolution makes it into one of the other headsets before too long? Every option currently available has its pros and cons, and the Reverb G2's screen is a pretty big deal for simmers.

12. bart5986

bart5986 Member

I agree the situation is bad, Pimax is just so far ahead it makes other options look bad, even though public pricing for Pimax is quite expensive once you factor in controllers + base stations. The backer pricing has been good value.

Even Pimax's lowest end headset, the 5k beats the reverb in everything but screen door effect which is because the Pimax has a much higher FoV and refresh rate (which I think is great for sims personally)

Innovation seems poor in the VR headset space at the moment. HTC has given up and Oculus only wants to make the Quest.

A bunch of nobodies shouldn't be able to make a better (But less polished) headset from kickstarter money, but they did.

Last edited: Sep 10, 2020
  13. Sphinx2000

Sphinx2000 Member

Eh, Pimax are nothing pain in stock shortages, quality issues, incompatibility problems, and a serious lack of support out of China, plus they rely on Valve Index's Lighthouses and Controllers which cost an extra ~$800 on top of the $1000+ HMD, plus shipping..!

Would rather grey-import a quality Valve Index kit for ~$1400 + shipping, instead..

Last edited: Sep 10, 2020
  14. bart5986

bart5986 Member

Yes, importing a Valve Index kit, which give you the nice controllers and base stations seems to be the best option.

That way you can upgrade in the future and its very cheap because you already have the base stations and controllers.

This is why those who purchased the original Vive Kit got a really good deal, cheap and easy upgrades.

Not a fan of certain companies just attempting their own inferior tracking methods.

15. mesaoz

mesaoz Member

I hated the lighthouses when I borrowed my brother's vive and I've had a pretty good experience with the inside out tracking on the Rift S.

Nethiuz likes this.
  16. Nethiuz

Nethiuz Member

I am pretty much over lighthouses, pain the ass.
    The G2 looks like a good kit but FOV means more to me than anything so i am sticking with the Index until all these "next gen" VR headsets finally stop being so useless with their 80-110 FOV.

mesaoz likes this.
  17. bart5986

bart5986 Member

I don't know why you guys don't like lighthouses, perfect tracking, better then inside out tracking if your hands aren't in front of you.

The only thing they can't do is change rooms easily.

18. mesaoz

mesaoz Member

I didn't have that experience, for me it kept losing the controllers and the number of times I'd have to take the headset off to adjust shit to get it work again was extremely frustrating - having glasses makes the process much worse too.

Maybe I just got unlucky with the unit I was using but the lighthouses were... shithouses.

Meanwhile the inside out tracking has exceeded my expectations, Gyro for movement of the controllers and headset and then cameras to keep it from drifting... works great (for me).

Played all the way through HL Alyx with the Rift S and it was great, only complaint was the darkness of the blacks due to the LCD.

19. bart5986

bart5986 Member

The only thing I can think of is it doesn't work very well if you have a large mirror in the room.

20. Nethiuz

Nethiuz Member

Most VR required me moving hands under desk and it's all gone then.
    I guess i could fork out another $180 or whatever the things cost and put one under the desk but that seems like a waste. Also i am completely full of USB, i have hubs and they are full, too many!