Which VR headset?

Discussion in 'Video Cards & Monitors' started by summoner, Jul 9, 2018.

1. joerandom

joerandom Member

I like drinking.

Rift dude..

2. Sphinx2000

Sphinx2000 Member

Unless you have tonnes of cash to throw around on a headset and the rig to run it, the Oculus Rift is the best bang for buck right now @ $449 USD with free AU delivery, includes everything you need.

joerandom likes this.
  3. dzajroo

dzajroo Member

Answer is simple:

- If you have infinite budget or you Rich Bitch then Vive PRO
    - If you have limited $$$ to burn then Oculus Rift.

summoner likes this.
  4. bart5986

bart5986 Member

If you want to make a proper investment into VR then the Vive Pro is worth it as you get the tracking 2.0 lighthouses and controllers.

Even the 1.0 lighthouses were a good investment as you can use it with future headsets like the Pimax.

You can then also use the future Valve Knuckles that are coming out.

With Oculus you are stuck to the Facebook ecosystem and that isn't going to change as nobody wants to use webcam tracking.

5. havabeer

havabeer Member

Does the rift have room sensors yet.

I liked that I could walk and move around with the vive when I had one. I don’t think I could handle just being stuck in a chair with an oculus

6. joerandom

joerandom Member

I don't know what you're on about, my rift sensors are amazing and what facebook ecosystem?
    I use DCS world and XPLANE with their own NATIVE VR and every steam VR game etc. The rift touch controllers shit on vives.

7. Sphinx2000

Sphinx2000 Member

Yes, supports up to three room sensors for a while now. The $449 USD touch pack includes two desk-stand sensors that you can also wall mount, etc (they use standard size camera mount thread) which I did with some cheap $3 camera mounts off ebay, and the sensors work well for me. Also included is two wireless touch-controllers you hold in each hand for VR room stuff which are not very bulky and easy to use, as well as some free games (including RoboRecall). The headphones included with the headset are also very decent IMO and I did not bother removing/replacing them.

Oculus has its own software delivery platform with many free titles and tech demos to get your feet wet, but you can also use the headset with SteamVR and all that comes with that.

Last edited: Jul 17, 2018
  8. bart5986

bart5986 Member

Lighthouse is more accurate and doesn't require usb cables across the room.

I didn't say it was better, the developers/companies did as they are supporting lighthouse in the future.

Nobody is using the Oculus/Facebook ecosystem for anything.

9. dzajroo

dzajroo Member

yeah the rift controllers are looking really nice, much better than the bulky vive controllers (although it's not an issue at all, never had any complaints about the vive controllers from anyone playing with them at my place).

As for the lighthouses, all they need is s power cord, which is nice, can't imagine running (USB or any other) cables for them across the room. i ended up purchasing telescopic stands with standard thread that works fine, costed me like $20 delivered, works fine.

joerandom likes this.
  10. joerandom

joerandom Member

How in the fuck does a lighthouse not use USB? I don't own a vive so don't know but there HAS to be a cable to transfer the data otherwise if its wireless you still have something plugged in using a port that collects the data.

And as far as im concerned running a power cord is just as annoying if not worse than a USB cord. You need more plugs... A USB hub is cheap as shit and I got two running shit all over the place, no dramas.

So again how is it better? One cord vs one cord?

11. bart5986

bart5986 Member

See here https://www.gizmodo.com.au/2015/05/this-is-how-valves-amazing-lighthouse-tracking-technology-works/

Almost everyone says the Lighthouses are better for using around your room, yet you disagree without using it. Pretty easy to see your bias.

No USB, no wireless. It does optionally have bluetooth if you want to remotely turn them on and off.

The reason a lighthouse is easy to connect is you just plug it into a wall socket somewhere in the room, it doesn't connect back to your computer, which is how messy cabling starts.

12. Panzer4

Panzer4 Member

I use a regular Vive, i've had no noticeable issues with it running on an R9 290. Had no issues in Raw Data or ED, so I have no idea what this stuff with 1080 minimums is. You can do fine on a lower end GPU, though there will be compromises with AA and the like, but it's certainly playable. Lighthouses are very easy to use and set up, just stick a nail in the wall near the roof and hang them from it, works fine.

SteamVR works fine, I can't say anything about the oculus equivalent as I haven't used it

13. Jedi Jezz

Jedi Jezz Member

Picked up a Vive from the Microsoft ebay store with one of the ebay 20% off sales (~$700 shipped) a few weeks ago. Have had a good play with it using a i5-4690 and 1060 and it seems to be coping so far, good fun although Doom VFR looks a bit grainy (I assume the 1060 is running out of puff). Hopefully GPUs drop in price a fair bit more and I can pick up a resonable upgrade during the black friday sales.

With the extra cpu overhead required for motion tracking on VR I wonder if hyperthreading makes an appreciable difference to FPS or even more cores? Anyone seen any reviews looking into this?

summoner likes this.
  14. joerandom

joerandom Member

I'm not bias, I am happy to try anything or buy a Vive pro if it wasn't overpriced.
    Still there is a cord, power points or computer doesn't matter.

15. nope

nope Member

Vive and Rift
    Some people tried other ones and said that suck.
    I know they all suck so i havent tried them.
    8k 244hz (whatever comes first) and has to be wireless.

16. bart5986

bart5986 Member

There is a huge difference in having 3-4 webcams at different points in your room with huge 10m usb cables running along the floor back to your computer. Then dealing with usb signal issues due to cable length, losing usb ports etc.

and

Plugging in two base stations to an electrical outlet at either side of the room.

If you don't understand how much better one of these solutions is, I feel sorry for you.

Then there's the fact that the webcams can technically be used to spy on you given the correct malware/hacker. Not possible with the lighthouse.

Oculus only has one thing going for it, lower price. But the lower price means you become part of the product, which isn't surprising given its owned by Facebook.

Last edited: Jul 18, 2018
  17. dzajroo

dzajroo Member

for me this does matter a lot. No way I would be able to run USB cables from both lighthouses (or 4 of them with Pro) across the whole room to plug back to the PC. Power plug is directly on the wall where the lighthouses are, all you need is 2m power lead. Much easier/simple, at least for me as the lighthouses are 6m and 8m away from my PC.

Idea behind the Oculus was from start a seated experience, hence it came with xbox controller and desk sensors (aka require USB). Vive was designed around room experience from the beginning, lighthouses are much neater solution.

top comment

Last edited: Jul 18, 2018
  18. HuggyBear

HuggyBear Member

Had a Rift for ages now, which I use for flight and racing sims. Don't have touch controllers or play any other games with it.

Absolutely love it, even though it's far from perfect.

The resolution is poor but the immersion is so good that I won't sim on a 2D monitor now.

I only use it seated and one sensor works perfectly.

I don't care which brand I use, price/performance will decide the next headset I buy.

Cheers,

- Bear

joerandom likes this.
  19. DEMONDOCTOR

DEMONDOCTOR Member

I have Vive Pro, Vive and Rift... Vive Pro is absolutely the best of the 3 except the headphones are a bit crap (can be removed to use your own) and the cable gets lots of twists in it which is annoying and can't be perfectly smoothed out. I find it very comfortable to wear and it's completely brought new life to VR for me. Such an improvement having the increased resolution. I don't care what people angry about the price say about it.
    I still use 1.0 lighthouses and controllers but aim to move to 2.0 when you can buy them separately (currently can only be bought with the Pro) and once the wireless unit comes out ("late winter" apparently).
    Using 6700K and Titan XP I do have some performance issues in a number of games though. Particularly when you start modding skyrim! Shame Vive doesn't have ASW.

OP like others have said go to a MS store and demo a Vive if they're still doing them or find someone who will give you a go with whatever headset they have. I have never got any nausea EVER but have some friends with very low tolerances.

If you're on a budget and with your current hardware maybe go the Rift as it's cheaper, has less SDE than the Vive 1 and uses ASW which is better than reprojection. Personally I don't like the image warping with the Rift with head movement. A lot of people call it "pupil swim". I find it quite distracting and immersion breaking but many others don't seem to care or notice. Keeping your eyes forward relative to your head is a solution but isn't possible all the time and I find straight objects get warped with head/eye movement and it really screws with me.

If you're NOT on a budget beef up your PC, get a Vive Pro, get 2.0 tracking, consider a third lighthouse/base station depending on your room set up, buy the wireless as soon as it comes out (if it doesn't suck), buy the Valve knuckles whenever they eventually release, get a Protube Carbon for extra fun in shooters, consider the Pimax too when it launches if it looks good, consider getting a diamond studded dick piercing too, whatever makes you happy...

Sorry for the wall of text... HTH :thumbup:

20. Ap0c

Ap0c Member

Has anyone tried the Samsung Odyssy? Same resolution as the Vive pro I believe but almost half the price.

Also DEMONDOCTOR , with the Vive pro, if all I was using it for was sim racing do I still need the lighthouses if all I’m doing is turning my head?

joerandom likes this.