Which VR headset?

Discussion in 'Video Cards & Monitors' started by summoner, Jul 9, 2018.

1. Nethiuz

Nethiuz Member

Ha, Hahahahahaha. Ok got me.

walker_2003 likes this.
  2. The Beast

The Beast Member

Got my Quest 2 on Tuesday, colour me impressed!

The Link cable turned up today, although I had luck with a regular USB A to C cable I had from another device, and a decent USB 3 extension cable.

For some reason Oculus shipped this in three separate packages over four days from Taiwan: Carrying Case and Elite Strap, Headset, Link Cable. Seems like a highly inefficient and expensive way to do it, but whatever.

Side Quest is amazing, a few hoops to get it working but way easier than I anticipated.

I'm also a fan of how Bigscreen has evolved in the last few years, had no idea!
    Also just bought Pigasus so I can load local version of movies from my Plex server for trips.

walker_2003 likes this.
  3. walker_2003

walker_2003 Member

Be careful with elite straps..

I might reinforce mine with with white duct tape. Would it be worth putting a splint or something in too?

I have a big head and wear unit tight so break risk is high.

More quality from zucker.

4. grrrr

grrrr Member

Last edited: Oct 23, 2020
  5. bart5986

bart5986 Member

Had some more time to play with the Quest 2

Some good things I noticed:
    Room set up is very easy (Although I feel like a depth camera could make it automatic)
    Elite Strap makes VR very easy to start, which is great for lazy days you just want to play a little.

Bad things I've noticed:
    • A lot of games/apps are not 90hz and look very bad in bright areas.
    • Either IPD adjustment doesn't go high enough for me or the lens are not very good, looking left and right is a little blurry.
    • No nose piece to block outside light
    • Lens sits too far back which just amplifies the feeling of looking through binoculars.
    • Controllers only track in your front 180 degree viewing area, not a huge issue if you only play oculus games as they build around this limitation. (you can't for example, shoot/kill things you aren't looking at)
    • Controllers feel quite poor in the hands compared to the original HTC Vive controllers, it feels more like I'm holding controllers rather then the controller becoming part of me. The controllers also might be too lightweight to feel good in the hands.
    • Tracking speed feels very average, this seemed most noticeable in Beat Saber making fast swings, probably not noticeable if you haven't used Lighthouse controllers.
    • Texture quality overall in games is very poor and ruins some of the realistic experiences as it becomes almost like a cartoon (like the ISS experience), but really this is to be expected, being a mobile VR system, the graphics are still impressive.
    • Barely any free games, and most of them are quite bad.
    • Games/apps are insanely expensive, you'll pay a lot more on the Oculus store, I guess this is why the Quest 2 is cheap, they make the money back on the store. You'll generally pay $40-50 per experience/game, with many not having much replayability.

Overall: A great system for Beat Saber, Onward and other games where having no cables is a huge benefit over anything else.

walker_2003, Nethiuz and Sphinx2000 like this.
  6. walker_2003

walker_2003 Member

Yeah I Def feel like I'm looking through binoculars and have to have it quite tight to block out light getting in through nose area. Assume custom faceplates can fix that.

I assumed all VR has a degree of binocular vision, I guess some are better..

How come bright stuff looks bad in lower hz?

Squadrons didn't look good in link mode but Alyx looks amazing.

7. bart5986

bart5986 Member

Pimax, and probably the Valve Index have basically removed the binocular effect by having eyes closer to lens and much higher FoV.

When its brighter the slow refreshing of the screen becomes a lot more obvious, its quite a common complaint with the Oculus Go/Quest and it seems, the quest 2, but 90hz mode might solve this if the devs update their apps.

In the oculus go you could just reduce the brightness to reduce the eye strain from the flickering, but I honestly can't see the option in the Quest 2.[/QUOTE]

walker_2003 and Nethiuz like this.
  8. Nethiuz

Nethiuz Member

Yeah i am super not keen on low FOV, that's why almost all headsets are rubbish in my eyes.
    Lower Hz can really get motion sickness going, also for some reason i can see flickering at 60hz in VR yet not on a monitor, might be the distance.

9. walker_2003

walker_2003 Member

Ah k I didn't see flickering but bright stuff in squadrons just looked off to me. Maybe cause was at 80hz.

I wonder if we can force 90hz on pc link yet with a workaround.

10. bart5986

bart5986 Member

I hope you've tried a Pimax! :)

The reason you can see flickering at 60hz (or anything below 90hz really) is because Oculus use low persistence LCD screens which basically makes them super sensitive to this, which is why 90hz is a bare minimum, and why I love 144hz on my Pimax.

People should take refresh rate seriously, especially on these low persistence LCD screens, you don't want to limit yourself to dark games for shorter periods because brighter games or longer sessions give you sore eyes and other issues due to the horrible flickering.

For comparison, the original Oculus Rift, and the HTC Vive used OLED screens and among the various benefits were much better blacks, with the one downside being more obvious screen door effect, which I believe current gen oled panels have fixed.

Nethiuz likes this.
  11. Nethiuz

Nethiuz Member

I have tried, there aren't perfect, but they have done a bloody good job with pushing FOV.
    I like the index's 130 FOV but it's still got some helmet on the head effect, of course normal human FOV is much greater than 130. As for screens, i find the blacks much blacker and colours better in the Index LCD than the Rift was with OLED, not to mention the awful god rays in the rift.

I hope Pimax improve their quality for the next models and start to really push awesome to a new level.

bart5986 likes this.
  12. walker_2003

walker_2003 Member

Is there any pimax with built in trackers? The lack of base station with the quest 2 and Reverb are great.

Nethiuz likes this.
  13. Nethiuz

Nethiuz Member

Nope unfortunately.
    I wouldn't grab one yet anyway, give it time to mature, or another brand to come to the FOV party.

walker_2003 likes this.
  14. walker_2003

walker_2003 Member

Yeah I hear apart from the epic screens the rest is lacklustre.

I think people will see quest 2 sales and there will be more standalone VR units.

I think the next revision of the HP Reverb will be amazing as a pc tethered unit.

Nethiuz likes this.
  15. bart5986

bart5986 Member

I doubt it.

If a company as big as Facebook struggles to get VR games onto their platform, I doubt there will be much competition, these devices simply don't have enough power.

Success in VR headset goes where the GPU power goes, which is Nvidia/AMD and PC's and consoles.

The problem with VR right now is that Pimax is miles ahead of the competition, but lacks the polish the average person would expect, by the time the competition catches up, Pimax will probably be way ahead of them again.

Nethiuz and walker_2003 like this.
  16. Dilligaf666

Dilligaf666 Member

just got hre oculus 2 - well a week and a bit ago
    Gee Im enjoying it
    just played first online game of Hyper dash - there are servers in Sydney so it was pretty goo
    Also seem to be playing a lot of virtual poker - poker stars VR - a good way to be social when in lock down

Attached Files:

17. walker_2003

walker_2003 Member

Yeah I spose. And be hard to compete with oculus store.

18. bart5986

bart5986 Member

Thought I'd share my girlfriends comments in contrast to mine...

Loves the Quest 2:
    Fits her smaller face better
    Quick to put on (Because of Elite Strap)
    Lighter controllers (I had this as a downside)
    Stays on properly during intense situations (Elite Strap again)
    Loves how it doesn't need my gaming computer
    Loves how you can get into your game without annoying things like Steam VR and other setup

What isn't being taken into account is that I've pirated all the games because I'm not buying things twice, and not for 2x the price to be locked into the Oculus store.
    She also doesn't know that the whole headset could be banned for it (It warns you of this in the headset) :wired:

Either way its interesting to have another opinion on things. My free Pimax kit is coming soon which has a fancy strap, but it probably won't be as good as the Elite Strap (but at least I have a nose light cover!)

Prangitt likes this.
  19. walker_2003

walker_2003 Member

Yeah I wouldnt risk pirating on the thing, people are bricking them when their FB account is banned for posting inappropriately etc, so I imagine piracy be similar.

20. Spyder6052

Spyder6052 Member

HAHAHAHAHA confirms for me that i will never own an oculus.....

Nethiuz, bart5986 and walker_2003 like this.