1. OCAU Merchandise is available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion in this thread.
    Dismiss Notice

Which VR headset?

Discussion in 'Video Cards & Monitors' started by summoner, Jul 9, 2018.

1. bart5986

bart5986 Member

While I'm sure these prototypes are all priced for "consumer" use, so $500 AUD, I can't help but think headsets like "butterscotch" are already dated.

Narrow Field of View, what seems to be 4k or 5k resolution I think? We've had headsets with similar pixels per degree for a while and they are about to be blown out of the water.

Why does Starburst need 20,000 nits in HDR?, seems like it would make you blind.

I don't see any wide FoV headsets.

nope likes this.
  2. nope

nope Member

yeah in this rare instance maybe the pimax will come out better

Last edited: Jun 21, 2022
  3. Sankari

Sankari Member

Bloody hell, now I know why it's called the 12K; because that's basically what it costs.

:wired: :Paranoid:

nope and qwertylesh like this.
  4. nope

nope Member

There was one that weighed 2kg and cost 10k axios what a joke hopefully quest 3 isn't that fat away maybe a year or two for a higher end one with 4k hdr and eye tracking

5. proffesso

proffesso Member

ive got a varjo vr2 pro here...if the new headsets can match that center resolution, we are in for a good time

nope likes this.
  6. nope

nope Member

figured out a little hack if you set res per eye in steamvr to 500% then set each game to 50% it downsamples and looks quite nice, until i have a gpu that can run like 5k :D

7. grrrr

grrrr Member

hey nope, have you tried PCVR with an RTX3080 or better to compare it with your 6900XT?

I will be looking to build a gaming machine 1/2 for PCVR to a quest 2 a bit later this year. I will get one of the new AMD cpus when they come out and will watch video cards between now and then. I would like a new series video card but getting a current series video card at the right price might make more sense.

Last edited: Jun 23, 2022
    nope likes this.
  8. nope

nope Member

The 6900xt is comparable to a 3080 now runs great in almost every game except dcs and fs which run bad on everything dcs is more gpu limited but fs is more cpu limited
    Both extremely gpu limited you'll be lucky to run the quest 2 at 60hz/fps in flight sims
    Assetto corsa 2012 runs way better and has an insane amount of mods

Also that varjo vr2 old mate has is about equal to the old wmr odyssey+ I have God I hate windows and Microsoft vr it flat out doesn't work

Last edited: Jun 24, 2022