Which VR headset?

Discussion in 'Video Cards & Monitors' started by summoner, Jul 9, 2018.

1. Sphinx2000

Sphinx2000 Member

Just use the "Oculus" store / software / lobby you should be able to look around in VR once it's running. It connects via HDMI and USB 2.0
    If it's not installed you can download from here https://www.oculus.com/setup/

2. walker_2003

walker_2003 Member

so even though its DK2 it still works with the proper release version software? ill check it out thanks.

edit: even tho oculus setup doesnt detect everything i managed to give a crack on a free rollercoaster app..

Thoughts are, the head tracking and framerate was good, the PPI was bad though and boy did I get some vertigo!

Does the CV1 offer better PPI or anything?

Last edited: Nov 8, 2018
  3. Pic0o

Pic0o Member

I'm a Rift CV1 user and can confirm a 1080 Ti was a nice bump. I had a 980 Gtx Prior and felt a bit of cramping for some titles. I sold my 980 GTX (4GB) in a desktop build for someone, to offset a bit of the $$$ for the 1080 Ti.

If you can swing it and justify the cost, possibly a 2080 Ti, but it looks like a good bit of them had some quality control issues.

4. CordlezToaster

CordlezToaster Member

Anyone played with an Oculus GO?.
    Is it worth getting?

5. bart5986

bart5986 Member

I have one at work.

The only reason I would ever get one is if you didn't have a computer and didn't want to use mobile VR.

The screen looks nice but has a low refresh rate which can look bad in many scenes.

I guess you could consider it a cheap VR movie player, but then a phone is as well.

6. Murmandamus

Murmandamus Member

Go is pretty useless IMO. Better off waiting for the Quest if the Rift isn't an option for you.

7. Pic0o

Pic0o Member

I was interested in the Go, but by time I was close to getting one, the Oculus Quest announcement dropped. Also the separate software / needing to re-buy between headsets turned me off.

I have a Rift but I am curious about the wireless devices. I might check out the Quest kit when it drops, since Go only has 3-DOF instead of 6 degrees of freedom. In other words, the Go has less tracking capability than a Rift, Vive, etc.

Looks like the Oculus Quest is slated to release in Spring 2019.

8. bart5986

bart5986 Member

The quest won't be much better.

The only real benefit is the tracking.

9. Azrael

Azrael Member

I just impulse bought a cheap Lenovo Explorer Mixed Reality headset.... tell me what i should do with it. :lol:

10. dzajroo

dzajroo Member

shift + delete :p

11. Azrael

Azrael Member

FWIW, this is the intended primary purpose:

12. Murmandamus

Murmandamus Member

Having fully tracked hand controllers is a very significant factor. It's not going to have the gfx quality of PC VR, but it'll be a full VR experience at least.

72Hz refresh rate instead of 60 of the Go will be noticeable as well.
    If you got it with hand controllers install The Lab on steam. Best place to start when you want to see what VR is capable of.

13. Sphinx2000

Sphinx2000 Member

PIMAX is slowly getting better... but still using dodgy speak, upscaling instead of native and slower hz...

14. Sarsippius

Sarsippius Member

I haven't watched that vid but I'm kinda assuming he's talking about the 8k headset, for me the 5k was always the interesting one and in simracing circles the 5k+ is a big improvement over the CV1 so I'm gearing up for an upgrade sometime this year. Negligible SDE and a wider FOV will definitely be welcome.

15. Sphinx2000

Sphinx2000 Member

Yeah the 8k is just the 5k+ 2560x1440 per eye res up-sampled to 4K per eye - but is now slowed down to 80hz instead of 90hz (not good).
    Linus also got them to admit that their "CLPL Screen (Customized low persistence liquid)" technology they still spruik for both the 8K and 5K+ HMDs are just LCD screens.-

Kickstarter orders are still backlogged: https://forum.pimaxvr.com/t/apology-for-the-delays-with-kickstarter-campaign/12420

Last edited: Jan 15, 2019 at 1:50 PM
  16. bart5986

bart5986 Member

Upscaling was in the kickstarter from the start...

It would be a little embarrassing if anyone was surprised from that.

Thats why the 8kX was part of the kickstarter, if you didn't want upscaling.

As for refresh rate literally everyone so far has said its not noticeable at 80hz and if anything its better because a 2080ti struggles to drive the 8k to begin with, adding an extra 10fps would not work.

But this doesn't change the fact that the 5k+ is the better product due to it not using the diagonal pixel pattern that the 8k uses, as well as being sharper due to the lack of upscaling.