Which VR headset?

Discussion in 'Video Cards & Monitors' started by summoner, Jul 9, 2018.

1. munchkin1

munchkin1 Member

Their reddit is pretty bad, half the posts seem to be complaints about being lied to about shipping repeatedly by customer service lol...

2. Murmandamus

Murmandamus Member

New headsets have been announced at GDC. So we'll have Rift S, Vive Cosmos, HP Reverb and a possibly a Valve headset coming out this year. There's a Valve presentation tomorrow, but no idea if it will be about their HMD.

Rift S. Single 2560×1440 80Hz LCD panel. Inside out tracking with 5 cameras. $399USD.

Similar hardware requirements as the current Rift. I assume there is less lens correction warping so the render resolution is about the same, plus it runs at 80fps instead of 90. Looks like it's the same panel as the Go with the lenses and tracking from the Quest.

https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2019...s-rift-s-more-pixels-zero-cameras-better-fit/
    https://uploadvr.com/oculus-rift-s-official/

HP Reverb WMR headset. 2160x2160 RGB panels. $600USD in late April.

https://www.theverge.com/2019/3/19/...dows-mixed-reality-headset-price-release-date
    https://www.roadtovr.com/hp-reverb-vr-headset-announcement-price-release-date/

3. Sphinx2000

Sphinx2000 Member

Amazing resolution specs from HP, and price that also includes the 2 x controllers.
    I hear it is also 33 percent lighter and less bulkier than a Vive Pro, still runs @ 90Hz refresh rate and 114 degree FOV. Looks like a very similar size and mounting to the Rift:
    https://venturebeat.com/2019/03/19/...-with-super-pixel-density-and-114-degree-fov/

Last edited: Mar 21, 2019
  4. bart5986

bart5986 Member

After getting the Pimax 5k there is no way I would deal with a panel that is lower resolution or FOV. I expected more from oculus.

The resolution on the pimax 5k is really the lowest you would want it to really enjoy games/videos.

5. PabloEscobar

PabloEscobar Member

Inside out tracking is convenient, but losing tracking of the controllers when the move out of the FOV isn't a good experience.

6. bart5986

bart5986 Member

It rules out most games in my opinion.

7. nope

nope Member

was gonna get a oddessy plus but i heard it was pretty uncomfortable/heavy with terrible fit
    Apparetnly the best oled panels and least screen door
    missed the 300usd special tho anyone here have one?

8. theSeekerr

theSeekerr Member

Eh. It's really just a few specific things - games that want you to hold the controllers like a rifle and VR archery are both pretty bad with the WMR tracking. But most stuff works fine.

9. bart5986

bart5986 Member

I guess it depends what you play, but most games I play involve my hands moving around everywhere while looking in various directions. Most good games are like this.

Even a simple game like Job Simulator wouldn't be suitable without changing how you play.

10. PabloEscobar

PabloEscobar Member

Most of the time, you're not doing things with the motion controllers out of the field of view, but those few times you do, and it bites you breaks the immersion.

It's cost me Full Combo's in beat saber more than once, but the price difference between a $200 WMR setup, and a $2000 Vive Pro... to me, isn't worth a few extra points in a game

11. bart5986

bart5986 Member

Again though, there is an insane amount of VR games on Steam and I would say the majority of the games that use motion controllers have many scenarios where you can do things outside of your view.

The Lighthouse system has other benefits as well, but yes on a budget you have to make do with what you want to spend on it.

12. PabloEscobar

PabloEscobar Member

Can you link some of the better ones?

13. bart5986

bart5986 Member

Better what? Headsets?

14. PabloEscobar

PabloEscobar Member

Better VR Games, where motion control outside of the FOV of a WMR headset would appear as an issue.p

For me, Gamewise Beat Saber is the only one that has any sort of Hook.

Skyrim/FO4 were OK as tech demos. but I've played them before, so the gameplay didn't offer anything new.
    Table tennis was a resounding Meh.
    Superhot VR was good, but it was "one and done" for me.

These are all amazing experiences the first time you put on a headset, and feel like Jobe Smith in Lawnmower man. But after the initial "neat" factor wears off, didn't hold any longevity for me.

Once I get a Steering Wheel, I'll give Assetto Coorsa a run.

15. theSeekerr

theSeekerr Member

AC is amazing, but the lack of a proper VR UI makes it a total pain to actually jump in and play.

16. bart5986

bart5986 Member

DOOM VR, Payday 2, Onward, Arizona Sunshine are a few I own

There are plenty more awesome VR games that i've yet to buy and play.

Looks amazing on the Pimax.

17. Murmandamus

Murmandamus Member

Just use BigScreen, Virtual Desktop etc to use your desktop in VR. Then you can use the main menu's and launch a session without ever having to take your headset off.

18. WRX_STi

WRX_STi Member

Why are all these new ones shit FOV?
    Pimax putting out 200 Deg FOV + I can't go back... it's like being in prison!

19. Sphinx2000

Sphinx2000 Member

Interesting. Which Pimax do you run? and on what hardware / fps do you get?
    Do you run with pimax controllers or with HTC vives + lighthouses etc

The cost of the Pimax certainly ain't cheap for non-OLED.

Last edited: Mar 22, 2019
  20. bart5986

bart5986 Member

Pimax 5k (8k isn't worth it in my opinion for various reasons I can go into if you want)

FPS is hard information to give as when you play you are busy in the headset.

Most games perform very well, for games that don't (like Fallout VR or simulation games) Pimax Brainwarp fixes that, its similar to the Valve tech.

The Pimax 5k is going for a higher price then the kickstarter of $699, this is cheap in my opinion.

I use it with my Vive lighthouses and controllers.

The big price comes from buying two lighthouses and two controllers. HTC rip you off for these and nobody else sells them right now, although other places like Pimax and Valve will soon.

The pimax is not perfect, for example the IPD range is smaller then it should be.

Having used a few headsets I will say that I would say that other headsets are mostly junk compared to the Pimax right now simply based on resolution and FoV.

Hopefully other companies release similar headsets as there is still a lot you can improve on.

Last edited: Mar 22, 2019