White balance - best time-saving gadgets?

Discussion in 'Photography & Video' started by kini_mini, Jun 11, 2007.

?

What white balance tool do you use/prefer?

1. Auto white balance and fiddle it later

49 vote(s)
    48.0%
  2. Auto white balance and it's fine by me

13 vote(s)
    12.7%
  3. Expodisc

8 vote(s)
    7.8%
  4. Generic gray card + custom white balance

13 vote(s)
    12.7%
  5. Lastolite disc or other proprietary

5 vote(s)
    4.9%
  6. Pick closest setting (daylight/shade/incandescent etc)

14 vote(s)
    13.7%
  1. kini_mini

kini_mini Member

Please post any more information, recommendations etc. I have no idea if other brands/cameras have this problem but my 30D's auto WB is pretty horrible in anything other than bright daylight.

I used to use the while balance card that came with Scott Kelby's CS2 book, but I lost it some time ago. Since I'm not a pro shooter and I rarely take more than 100 shots at a time, I've survived by shooting auto WB (on 30D) and correcting as necessary in processing. That can work eventually but lately I've realised that I just don't have the time for that any more...hence this poll :)

2. sir_bazz

sir_bazz Team Papparazi

Anything auto is prone to be tricked under the right conditions. I still do the AWB thing with RAW and fix in post and also use a preset in ACR for the studio lights to make things easy. While this works well for controlled lighting, lately I've been thinking about getting a WhiBal.

Looking forward to reading others replies.

bazz.

3. 0oBelialo0

0oBelialo0 Member

AWB, then sort it out in RSE. RSE's auto gets it right for me about 90% of the time.

Ben

4. stenchlord

stenchlord Member

I normally just AWB then fix in PP. I mean if it's something that i have time to recompose and do the shot over then I will but for most shots I tend to just fix them in PP.

5. Alessiman

Alessiman Member

I am sold on the WhiBal. Anything that makes it easier for me to set white balance has my vote

I did some happy snaps last night for a "white party". Try to AWB those files in CS3 was a pain let me tell you. None that successful!!

6. mute

mute Member

AWB and adjust in PP

Although AWB sometimes provides the best results so it's left as is :)

7. OP
    OP
    kini_mini

kini_mini Member

That happens sometimes, but I was just shooting in a restaurant that had spot incandescent lighting angled in arty ways...the shots ended up falling into about three distinct WBs depending on which part of the room they were shot in. None of them were right out of camera either (ACR's auto was closer, but still needed work). There are two shots where the skin tone is still wrong...I've given up :p

For the people who *do* use grey cards or lastolites etc - any preferences? I'm set on picking one up in the next month or so.

8. peewee82

peewee82 Member

Note that WhiBal is just a grey card, with black and white. Yes, handy to have them all together, small and durable. It's just that they make it sound like it's some ground-breaking invention.

I'm extremely naughty when it comes to white balance and just let the camera do whatever the hell it wants lol then adjust in RAW by eye. I don't shoot bucketloads of images and I never need to process hundreds of images taken at the same time. So I guess I can get away with it. I'm sure I'd drive myself crazy if I did need to process that many images.

9. CD

CD Member

i must admit i'm wasting quite a lot of time adjusting the WB on my photos (although i save some time by adjusting a small batch at a time).

would love to hear any time-saving tips...

the whibal looks good, in that it doesn't need TLC. i wonder how the gretag macbeth gray cards compare with this.

Last edited: Jun 12, 2007
  10. land_down_under

land_down_under Member

I found a tute some time ago using the WhiBal and Lightroom - a couple of clicks and you can autosync all of the photos taken for that shoot - certainly seemed to save a bunch of time.

I have just finished reading another Bryan Peterson book - he recommends shooting with WB set to Cloudy (setting around 6300K) for the vast majority of his shots. Have just started trying this out.

11. djjc

djjc Member

I use a grey card if the conditions are relatively consistent, but if its constantly changing, ill shoot in RAW and adjust later. I shoot RAW exclusively now, so the grey card is just saving me some work later on the computer.

12. 0oBelialo0

0oBelialo0 Member

Forgot to mention - when I have a heap of shots taken in the same lighting, I adjust one in RSE and then apply the changes to the rest. If they're all really similar, you can apply exposure, fill light, contrast, saturation etc adjustments in bulk.

Ben

13. chet

chet R.I.P.

has anyone had any experience with using an Expodisc?

14. OP
    OP
    kini_mini

kini_mini Member

Yep, once you've worked out the right WB you can generally just apply it across all the photos taken under that lighting. But sometimes getting even that first one right can take a long time - from my limited use of the Scott Kelby card and its ACR gray panel (one click with the dropper), I could be saving myself a lot of time.

Thanks for all the replies guys, I might just go get another card solution :).

EDIT: yep any comments on the Expodisc would be good - POTN people seem fairly favourable but it's a lot more than the cards and I don't know if there'll be that much of a difference for me.

15. ehor

ehor Member

I've got one of those translucent white lens caps that you take a photo with and then set custom WB.
    Haven't used it yet though so can't comment if it's good.

16. bugeyes

bugeyes Member

I use one of these for white balance.

but would consider the whibal if it wasn't so ridiculously expensive, I mean $40 for a piece of plastic the size of a credit card....pfffft get real :rolleyes:

Just found this , which looks similar to the whibal for under $10 :thumbup:

17. PASHN8

PASHN8 Member

I have the 'Pro' version which is of metal construction in 82mm, not the usual plastic. It is good when you use it, but I shoot in so many different light sources sometimes, that it becomes annoying to keep re-setting the custom white balance.

For best results I just shoot in RAW, and adjust in post.

18. arkenstone

arkenstone Member

ACR?

I can't figure out what ACR is...

19. vien

vien Member

i've tried the CBL lens thing that does the full colour balance, it seems to work ok.

it's pretty expensive though, not sure if i would place down 150+ odd bucks on it.

20. CD

CD Member

Adobe Camera Raw

On another note, I find it much easier to adjust white balance at night, since the lighting is fairly constant (flash + some ambient). During the day it really varies as you move in and out of the shadow. I keep forgetting to use my gray card when I'm in the middle of covering an event such as the Buddha Birthday Festival