White balance (?) on GoPro

Discussion in 'Photography & Video' started by miicah, Mar 21, 2019.

1. miicah

miicah Member

I've been trying to make videos of my motorsports exploits and am having a lot of trouble with my GoPro. It's a Session 5 and what happens is that everything inside the cabin looks great and is clear, but all the windows are just blown out/white and you can't actually see what's happening outside the car.

Is there a setting I need to be looking for, or some sort of adjustment?

2. Hater

Hater Member

with a sensor that size you're not going to get a good dynamic range.

you could try an ND filter and setting the ISO accordingly so it doesn't go all noisy, you'll lose detail in the interior of the car but you'll be able to see what's outside

you could also just mount the camera outside

3. ^catalyst

^catalyst Member

It's not the white balance, its the exposure.

There is too much difference from the brightest part of the image to the darkest part of the image, this is referred to as dynamic range. A small format camera like a gopro will have very limited dynamic range, ie, it will not to a good job of capture a very dynamic image. Like say for example deep shade (inside the car) and broad daylight (outside the car).

I'm guessing the camera adjusts the exposure based on what is in the frame, so if you can mount the camera so the image is largely through the windscreen as opposed to having a lot of the cabin in the shot it will likely self correct. Elsewise you would need some way of adjusting the exposure.

4. ^catalyst

^catalyst Member

Also I don't see how an ND would help, unless you mean a graduated ND but even then.

5. Hater

Hater Member

my theory (never done it in a car though) is that it'll make the gopro see the interior as solid black, make the processor crush them all together and not focus on that bit, instead try and calibrate the colours to whats coming in from the windows

depends how dark the interior is i suppose

6. ^catalyst

^catalyst Member

It isn't about colours. It is exposure, or put more simply, brightness. Colours do not factor in to this equation, not even tangentially via white balance.

A camera can capture a 'brightness range' which we call the 'dynamic range'. Cameras do not work like our eyes / brain vision system; digital cameras capture photons and convert them to voltages.

Any camera system has a sliding window of dynamic range, you place the range where it is suited; in the OP's circumstance you want to capture what is through the windscreen primarily. Given the interior of the car is drastically darker than the vision through the windscreen (in the day time anyway) the camera cannot fit both the extremely dark and extremely bright parts of the scene within its limited dynamic range.

You need to pick one of the following options :

1) Expose for the outside, get very dark interior (shift exposure, same dynamic range)
    2) Expose for the interior, get completely blown out (too bright) outside (shift exposure, same dynamic range)
    3) Put some kind of bright light in the interior car (reduce dynamic range of image)
    4) Get a camera that has enough dynamic range for you to capture everything (hint: you either cannot buy this or you cannot afford this :p )

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dynamic_range#Photography

All of this is covered in the GoPro help article for the Session 5 :
    https://gopro.com/help/articles/Question_Answer/Advanced-Protune-Controls-Explained

upload_2019-4-9_18-15-57.png

miicah likes this.