who can change plugs (eu/uk/us to aus)

Discussion in 'Electronics & Electrics' started by ßundy, Jun 6, 2011.

1. ßundy

ßundy Member

Hello,

I have collected various appliances with different plugs and I'm sick of needing a UK powerboats in the kitchen. Is there anyone that would be able to put au plugs on about 10 appliances for me, of so how much? I'm in Melbourne.

Thanks

2. Pugs

Pugs Member

I Think any sparky shoudl be able to... if not a specifica applince electrician should be able to to help

3. Siggi

Siggi Member

I believe the area is covered by the asnzs 3760 (test and tag). The wording is a little ambiguous, but I think legally anyone who has done that course (its a short one) can replace plug tops.

Keep in mind that each Australian plug is going to run a few dollars, so material costs alone might be $50.

4. Kyl3

Kyl3 Member

I can change them

5. RobRoySyd

RobRoySyd Member

Changing UK plugs to AU needs to be done with some care.
    In the UK protection for the device and its lead can be provided by a fuse inside the 3 pin plug.

6. OP
    OP
    ßundy

ßundy Member

Should have been clearer, I was hoping someone here wanted some money to do this job on the weekend, I wasn't wondering who can legally :)

Some of them have a fuse in them, are there Australian plugs that can hold a fuse?

7. RobRoySyd

RobRoySyd Member

No.
    The reason for the fuse in the plug is to protect the wiring from the plug to the appliance, it does not protect the device itself.
    The reasons for this are twofold. In the UK a ring main is used which effectively doubles the current rating for a given conductor size so 2.5mm2 will be protected by a fuse / MCB of 32A or greater. Secondly to permit the use of a lighter gauge wire to the appliance e.g. a bed side or table lamp.

So long as the flex to the appliance is 1mm2 or greater then in Australia the fuse isn't needed as our 20A fuses / MCB will provide adequate protection.
    I have been caught out by this decades ago when I had a flex to a piece of UK test gear vanish in a snake of smoke. The flex was incredibly thin and the GPOs in the building were on a 32A breaker :shock:.
    That was one lesson I'll never forget