who has experienced LCD dead pixels?

Discussion in 'Video Cards & Monitors' started by genesis, Sep 9, 2007.

?

How many faulty pixels on your LCD

Poll closed Sep 16, 2007.
  1. 0 Perfect

143 vote(s)
    65.9%
  2. 1 Could put up with this

45 vote(s)
    20.7%
  3. 2 Could put up with this half as much

12 vote(s)
    5.5%
  4. 3 This is getting rediculous

4 vote(s)
    1.8%
  5. 4 Damn bullet holes

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. 5 Woo Hoo can claim warranty now.

4 vote(s)
    1.8%
  7. Starry Starry Night.......

9 vote(s)
    4.1%
  1. DavLe.BeRRy

DavLe.BeRRy Member

My Samsung 940B seems to be going strong, is there anyway to detect, what you cannot see?

2. faceboy88

faceboy88 Member

Pretty sure you'll notice it pretty easily.

3. millsy

millsy Member

Although not the info you are asking for, I have owned a chimei 22" wide for around 1-2 months and am yet to notice any busted pixels (fingers crossed:) ) However, on a cheap LCD TV my parents bought for the caravan, there is 1 stuck pixel which is a bright blue. It was one of those crap ones woolies had like last year :wired: . Pretty dodgy, even the brand stickers have fallen off. It was the "Kross" brand.

4. rush

rush Member

Same here. Birght blue, middle of screen. Massaged, it went away.

Came back a month later - massaged again - disappeared again.

One year later, still going strong :)

5. booksacool1

booksacool1 Member

Mmm all the computers I can think of (in this house)

Dell 9300 laptop (1920*1200) - No dead pixels
    Dell m1210 - No dead pixels
    Toshiba Portege M200 - No dead pixels
    Apple Macbook Pro 15" - No dead pixels
    Apple iMac 20" - No dead pixels
    Some random Acer 17" from 2005 - One dim blue subpixel
    Some random BenQ 17" from 2004 - One dead pixel in corner

Hmm seems our laptops have better screens...

6. wwwww

wwwww Member

[​IMG]

It's a very starry night on my new Dell laptop (Latitude D430). I'd say about 200 dead pixels, haven't bothered claiming warranty yet.

Shipped with about 20 dead pixels, and more seem to be popping up each day around the same area (first bright - then dead).

7. cold_fu5ion

cold_fu5ion Member

I've got a (relatively) small philips 19" (190S) no pixel problems. I strongly doubt that anyone with a dead or stuck pixel wouldn't notice. We had a 22" CMV 221D in the store I work in, when it got a stuck pixel I noticed it every time I walked past it (not even using the thing).

I don't think you can go wrong with a Samsung 22" 226BW as long as you get the one with the samsung panel, not the CMV one :cool: (look for the S on the back).

8. matthudson

matthudson Member

I got a brand new ChiMei 22" with one dead pixel. Was picked up from me by a courier and I got a new one returned within a week. Haven't had any since, been quite a while (maybe even a year)

9. antari

antari Member

BenQ FP73G - no dead pixels (12 mths old)
    BenQ FP91G+ - no dead pixels (6 mths old)
    ancient acer laptop - 1 dead pixel in the corner of the screen. (10 years old maybe)

I think you win.

10. Shinanigans

Shinanigans Member

2x Chimei 221D = 2 dead (red) pixels
    2x Chimei 221D = 0 dead pixels
    1x Samsung 940BW = 0 dead pixels

Luck of the draw really.

11. Xenon3d

Xenon3d Member

I havent seen a dead pixel for about a year. It was a real problem with early LCDs, not so much any more, I dont think. I have 2 Dells and a CMV, none of which have dead pixels, all are less than a year old as well.

12. nEBUz

nEBUz Member

Benq FP241W :: 0 Dead Pixels
    12" Powerbook :: 2 Dead Pixels... which isn't really surprising given the treatment it gets. Hell I'm surprised it still works (and the dust and junk means I don't notice)

13. heliflyer63

heliflyer63 Member

Have 4 Samsung monitors, bought over the past 2 years.

Not one single problem so far - very happy:thumbup:

14. Falls

Falls Member

My laptop 15inch screen has 1 x stuck pixel , eg on black background it is pink, on white background it's white. Was very pissed when it happened, hardly evey notice it now . Screen is 1400x1050, so only 1 in 1.5 million.

I've learned to live with it.

F.

15. MrHanky

MrHanky Member

I just got a new laptop that had a dead pixel on the screen.

Unfortunately, I'm a fussy little shit when it comes to this sort of thing - so I rang up Dell and told a little porky pie (that I had 6 dead pixels, not 1), sure enough they sent out a tech... he replaced the panel... 0 dead pixels.

I might add (and this was what I expected all along), the tech who came out couldn't have cared less what my reasoning was for needing/wanting a new screen. He didn't even ask, he just swapped them.

16. pusbag

pusbag (Banned or Deleted)

My dell 24" hasn't got a single one after being turned on 24/7 for over a year now.

However my IBM thinkpad laptop(which mind you has been dropped multiple times and has had the screen punched by my brother a few times after I've owned him in games) has a line of dead pixels which goes through the entire screen. It's still working fine though, they're tough lil buggers :thumbup:

17. Onyx

Onyx Member

1 stuck green on my Compaq notebook. After about 2.5 yrs of use, a red pixel became stuck near the centre of the screen as well.

1 stuck red pixel in the upper left corner of my first LCD monitor - LG 1710SQ.

I had about 12-15 on my first Viewsonic 22" widescreen (VX2235 model), spread in 3 main group/clusters, and with some outer strays. The replacement has none.

My new HP notebook, none (and my first glossy screen).

Dead pixels don't really bother me too much. The few brands offering zero dead pixel policies on their displays are to blame for the unrealistic expectations of the complaining majority IMHO (esp Americans in online forums).

18. Aetherone

Aetherone Member

I disagree. I work in a shop that has the policy of checking every single panel as they arrive for dead pixels - not waiting for the customers to find them.
    As a result, we're very good at spotting dead ones, and very distubingly large number of panels do not pass this test and are sent back. Correspondance with our suppliers would suggest we are quite possibly the only store in Adelaide with this policy as our return rate on panels is dramatically higher than anyone else - and our suppliers hate it. Some days we'll do two pickups past the same supplier. The morning run to pick up panels, and an afternoon run to return the dead ones and collect replacements.

Assuming we're not being deliberatly sent a skewed set of panels from a half dozen different suppliers and manufacturers, the average current failure rate of panels is around 20%. Some brands (notably Viewsonic and Samsung) are lower for many models (we'll ignore the 66% dead pixel rate on the Sammy 30") and some brands (Their names start with an "A" and a "B") have closer to 75% failure rate over all models. At one stage the "A" brand panels were such a problem, instead of shipping panels back and forward to the wholesaler, I simply went there and worked my way through their stock testing them all. 3 in 4 of their 24" panels had dead pixels [sarcasm] not bad for a product with a "0 dead" pixel warranty.[/s]

We do not rely on our customers to identify dead pixels for two reasons. One becuse most do not know what to look for and two because most dont use the simple software to obviously demonstate the flaws.
    Spotting a dud pixel (or sub) is very easy when the screen is showing a pure constant color. Spotting the same pixel on the default windows background is much harder - you need to be very good at "where's wally" for this.

Its disgusting that manufacturers offer a 0 dead pixel warranty and rely on uninformed and ill-equipped customers to find them.

I strongly doubt that you are correct, for the reasons listed above.

19. tmimeh

tmimeh Member

15" TOPCON - 0 dead pixels
    17" TOPCON - 0 dead pixels
    20.1" Viewsonic vx2025wm - 0 dead pixels
    1x 2407WFPb - 2 bright pixels, they only showed up as red on white
    1x 2407WFPb - 1 bright pixel smack bang in the middle, as above

If you're not sure if they're there or not, best not to go hunting for them.

20. OP
    OP
    genesis

genesis Member

What store are you from ?

I will strongly consider buying from you sounds like a great idea time consuming but fantastic customer service.

P.S What price you got on the FP241W and the Sammy 244T :)

Genesis