1. Check out OCAU's review of the SpaceX Starlink satellite internet service!
    Dismiss Notice

Who here has bought grey market bodies?

Discussion in 'Photography & Video' started by Mr DOHC, Jul 13, 2011.

1. Deftone2k

Deftone2k In the Darkroom

It was for the school he works at not for his personal use.

2. shizmo

shizmo Member

Ordered K5 from DWI 2 weeks ago. Arrived in 3 days.

:thumbup:

Firmware v1.01

I updated to v1.1 no worries.

3. bubblegoose

bubblegoose Member

This guy is on the money! :lol: (but I do use them for my personal use to ;) )

We had a limited budget, and wanted to kick start a photography course. We wanted 8 full setups in total as well as some UWA's, some tele's, macro gear etc. And we had a limited budget. Buying local would have seen us with half the gear, with the only advantage being a local warranty. which for the money we saved, we could replace half the gear if they got damaged and still have money left over.

4. cvidler

cvidler Member

I bought my 7D in person in the US (so I'm a grey importer in this case :lol:).

It's exactly what you'd get from an authorised canon distributor here, or anywhere else. After all they all come from the same factory.

I got mine back when they were brand spankers back in 2009 thanks to a convenient business trip.

As for warranty issues, well, the things' worked fine, never broke.

And as said, with the savings on getting a body here, I splurged and got a grip, extra (genuine) battery, and some other accessories with the money saved.

Personally, I'd say you'd be silly to spend the exorbitant extra $ for local stock. There's no reason to do so.

5. MATTATHOME

MATTATHOME Member

i have heard stories of people who needed to use warranty from HK and it was quicker than sending it for repair in OZ.

I have bough Grey D200/D70 no problems, but have never had an issue.

MATT

6. r00b0y

r00b0y Member

FWIW on warranties/likelihood of camera failure:

My work has around ~150 Nikon bodies - D70, D50, D40, D60 & D5000s. In 5 years the only issues we've had have been 3 dead shutters on the D70s (all over 50k actuations), and a few fried circuit boards, also on D70s. Nothing bought since 2008 has had a single issue - many cameras have done 70k clicks in this time.

Bear in mind we have always bought the cheapest cameras available - these results would be even more skewed when you start talking about the semi-pro bodies.

Of course there are no guarantees with anything, but personally, buying grey is a gamble which I have & will continue to take. I've already saved enough buying grey to afford a new pro body by itself. Should something die I'm still well ahead.

7. C0L0N3L

C0L0N3L Member

Got my D700 from DWI. Saved about 1k i think

Had to do the CC ID check thingy..
    and then they didn't post it for 4 days, I eventually found out they were holding it because one of my lens's wasn't instock. They offered to split the shipping at no extra cost, which they did and when my lens came a day later they gave me another battery, so ended up being alright. Pretty annoyed they didn't let me know that they where holding it though.

8. Jessi_691

Jessi_691 Member

If the price difference was 1k I'd take the grey import without thinking twice. But I've found one really good deal at at authorised dealer, and the difference between this place and d-d-electronices was only $370, then on top of that I don't have to pay postage, so potientially only $300 difference. I'm thinking, buy once, buy properly.

9. AwesumaPowa

AwesumaPowa Member

+1 for DWI. I've bought about $3k worth of lens' and about $5k of bodies from them for myself and friends.

Some people claim to have issues with them but as long as you call the Sydney phone line beforehand to check stock and price you're sweet. Postage only took about 2-3 days for all my orders.

10. Awesomesauce

Awesomesauce (Banned or Deleted)

DWI are awesome I bought a mate a D90 through there and another mate got his D3X (sans customs duty) with just a few day's postage.

11. HumbleBum

HumbleBum Member

For the same item? :wired:

12. insular

insular Member

i'm about to buy a 7d body here in the UK and claim VAT when i leave the EU. as VAT is 20% now, the body after VAT is about the same as grey with the great AU-GBP exchange rate.

so 1200GBP with VAT, and i dont need a calculator to work out 240GBP is 20% (ok i double checked).

so 1441AUD, and ill pay around that cos of 28degrees mastercard.

or have the prices in AU been going down?

and i will at least have warranty somewhere, as if you go grey you get none.

13. Awesomesauce

wtf go grey get hk warranty.

14. insular

insular Member

serious or pisstake? you're dreaming if you think HK warranty is any kind of warranty.

1. sent back body
    2. diagnosis: your fault
    3. pay full cost to fix or postage to send back still broken camera

no consumer rights
    overpriced mack warranty not worth the paper its printed on

ive read instances on forums of where this has happened to people.

15. kingbob86

kingbob86 Member

Bought my 60D grey, would do it again.

16. blue_bug

blue_bug Member

I can report that would not be all the cases.
    I got a 550D while was in HK April 2010, and the shutter has starting playing up. I gave it to my friend (based in HK) to sent to Canon for service and it was done and shipped back to her within 5 business days without her having to paid a single cent.

The camera body has 24 months warranty.

17. Dark Orange

Dark Orange Member

Bought a 30D body grey market, it is still going strong.

My partner bought me a 5D-II as a birthday present from an "Australian company with an Australian warranty".

Turns out it is a HK based company selling HK stock. Their Australian presence is a PO box shared with other companies attached to a mail forwarding service.

I have had a nice long whinge about the company here before, but long story short - if your camera has a warranty fault, you're screwed.

18. GetSmart

GetSmart Member

I use citiwide.com.au (I find they are often cheaper than DWI).

Never had a problem, reasonably fast delivery.

19. Awesomesauce

If you're buying anything over a grand get it sent through FedEx so you avoid the GST surcharge.

20. Craggles

Craggles Member

lol how do you come to this conclusion?