Who is now only using Mac?

Discussion in 'Apple Desktop Hardware/Software' started by jastormont, Feb 16, 2009.

?

What do you use?

1. Only the Mac

48 vote(s)
    18.9%
  2. Only the PC

107 vote(s)
    42.1%
  3. I use both PC and Mac

99 vote(s)
    39.0%
  1. scruff

scruff RIP

Had a macbook pro for 2.5 years. It's been running windows 7 exclusively since the beta was released. It's superior to OSX in every way.

2. Quantum Flux

Quantum Flux Member

I don't exlusivley use the mac, but I'm finding it more and more able and the PC is starting to gather dust. The biggest plus for me is no crashing, viruses or re-imaging. It just keeps going and handles long up times really well.

3. rubix

rubix Member

both mac and pc, have been using a macbook pro for about 2 years now. Pretty much the only reason I still use a PC though is because of gaming.

4. Mr. Bump!

Mr. Bump! (Banned or Deleted)

doesn't WoW install on OS X?

5. neon_87

neon_87 RIP

Have Macbook that my gf mainly uses, but i use it sometimes.
    Have mac workstation at my desk at work plus i manage about 40 macs as well (on a windows enviroment, with 200 windows machines, though)
    Have all windows machines in house (minus macbook)

I like both.

6. Flamous

Flamous Member

Mac's at home.
    PC's at work. However I could use a Mac at work if I wanted.

As for the media PC's, I use a mac mini as my media player. Frontrow works very well for me. I don't record my own shows however there is hardware and software available.

7. OP
    OP
    jastormont

jastormont Member

Yes and all the add-on's.

I think pretty much all of Blizzards games are PC and Mac compliant. And the best thing is that the same media can be used on either as well. :D

It would be good if most Game makers took a good hard look at how Blizzard design high quality software that works just as well on both platforms. The up and coming Doom 4 (and it's engine) is being developed for both PC and mac similar to what Blizzard do to my knowledge.

Last edited: Feb 18, 2009
  8. OP
    OP
    jastormont

jastormont Member

You sure about that?

I feel OSX still leads the way when it come to Networking and Security. Windows 7 I feel is better then what Vista is, but it still is in many ways Vista in a different dress. The Load times and GUI improvements aside I think it is the same old Windows buried under there. ;)

Not that I am saying OSX is perfect either.

9. Mr. Bump!

We haven't seen the best of this incarnation of OS X yet either with 10.6 around the corner which is all about refinment

10. xsive

xsive Member

Mac only (home/work). I ditched Windows many years ago; it must be getting close to 4! I just wish OSX was more Unix-like in some respects (damnit, I want my alt key to work like alt!)

11. ghettro

ghettro Member

Macbook which I use about 30% of the time, Vista machine for games which gets used for the remaining 70%. Mostly because I like to play games and I don't have the hassle of having to plug in the external for my lappy at my desk.

If I didn't play games it'd be mac all the way. Oh yeah and also have a Vista Media center for PVR, it kicks butt :)

12. ewok85

ewok85 Member

If

- Windows remote desktop wasn't so pitifully slow
    - Connecting to Windows file shares wasn't so messed up
    - Visio was a native Mac application

I would probably happily use a Mac for work, but right now its just 'meeeeeh not bad'. Looks purdy, I'll give it that much :thumbup:

13. Mr. Bump!

I'd swap Visio for Entourage every day of the week

14. Smokin Whale

Smokin Whale Member

Windows all the way, baby! :p

15. Grechie

Grechie Member

Windows born and bred, however, repair macs for a living !

I love coming home to my windows :)

16. Dedge

Dedge Member

Jumped from PC/Linux to Mac in late '07 and haven't looked back. I use a Mac at work, and I use a Mac at home. Still keep my PC around for occasional gaming.

17. StormWaterdrain

StormWaterdrain Member

After starting on a 4.77mhz PC in 1985, I eventually shifted to Mac around 2.5 years back. The Mac Mini really attracted me due to it's small size (I had previously been using Shuttle machines to keep the size down). Got a Macbook on holidays and liked that, so followed it up with a 24" iMac - which I still believe is a damn nice piece of hardware. Last addition was the Macbook Air - perfect for what i need.

I seem to just 'use' the machine, therefore it's been quite a nice experience. My only system maintenance tasks are repairing file permissions occasionally and running scripts via Onyx every now and then.

The Mac version of office pisses me off. Can't adjust to the 'feel' of it.

18. Grant

Grant Member

Ubuntu for general stuff
    Ubuntu at work
    Ubuntu for gaming

I've been tempted to use OSX86 out of sheer curiosity, but I don't see the point :)

19. skootyloops

skootyloops Member

I use my imac as my main machine... dual screened with my 20" =).... Bought my first mac in november 07 which was the lovely mac mini. Then upgraded my arsenal with the imac and a few months later a macbook.

They have served me fine, I did use my pc a lot when I first got my mac as I was new to the OS and didn't know all the applications etc... But ever since fulling moving over I haven't looked back.

I do have multiple pc's, however they are unused except for the odd lan which I attend.

20. Asteroid

Asteroid Member

I switched to mac back in Jan 05. I couldn't be happier.

Until I finally cracked after years of cursing and bought a Thinkpad running Vista. I'm a happy man once again! :D