Who is responsible for telephone line

Discussion in 'Networking, Telephony & Internet' started by xc351, Feb 18, 2021.

1. xc351

xc351 Member

Just trying to figure out who is responsible for the phone line nbn Co or telstra.

Also where do they stop taking responsibility for it.

My cable comes into house then travels clipped along ceiling a good distance then goes into a white telecom box. Are they responsible for it up to this point.

I also know for a fact its not berried deep and I can see conduit in a concrete drainage moat thing arround my place under the xpanded mesh.

2. Pugs

Pugs Member

Nbn should be as Telstra are no longer required to maintain it

Depends on what technology you have

If you have fixed wireless you can still have a landline (purely for a phone service only tho)

3. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

For what purpose? You're phone service provider will be responsible to address any issues you may have with your phone service.

4. OP
    OP
    xc351

xc351 Member

i have FTTN so the copper is obviously the week link, my sync speeds have been dropping of the last year or so.
    Now its down totally when we moved to this place 3 years ago we had some 20odd year old kid that was useless that said he couldnt see the connection point and was basicly blaming us.

Told him exactly where is was then wanted me to assist him.

Issue was in a pit or something down the street i presume there is water ingress issues.

BUt the feed into our place is crap so if its there responsibility ill get them to replace that.

5. power

power Member

The rsp should be talking to nbnco on your behalf afaik.

Pugs likes this.
  6. Hive

Hive Member

What ISP?

7. supasaiyan

supasaiyan Member

up to the network boundary point (USUALLY the closest phone socket to the front of the house)

https://phoneworks.net.au/ friend was having a to-fro with their ISP about slow internet (surprisingly NOT Telstra) and they called up these guys. Found a fault in street and told him everything to tell his ISP. Ended up getting the invoice paid for by the ISP

8. OP
    OP
    xc351

xc351 Member

It's barefoot/mate telecom.

Nbn Tech came out again said he can't really pinpoint anything cause we can't fully isolate it, checks pit/node and its magicly good again.

9. ir0nhide

ir0nhide Member

NBN own it but you can't talk to them directly. If your ISP isn't helping you with your fault, churn.

Pugs likes this.
  10. OP
    OP
    xc351

xc351 Member

They are but saying u live xxxm from the nodes so those sync speeds are normal, I tell them it's degraded over the last year which isn't normal. Sync speeds were 95mbit down to 50 or so.

Once I'm back home I'll re check speeds now it's been "fixed"

11. Quadbox

Quadbox Member

They've got no obligation to do a damned thing if your sync speeds are above the prescribed standard, which is... 25mbits? I think? anyways, it's well below 50. So good luck

Pugs likes this.
  12. supasaiyan

supasaiyan Member

pm me your address, let me see if i can run a line test on it

13. oldguy_qld

oldguy_qld New Member

The last person or company that touched it.