1. OCAU Merchandise now available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion here.
    Dismiss Notice

Who wants a free LCD?

Discussion in 'Electronics & Electrics' started by Caffeine, Nov 20, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Caffeine

Caffeine Member

So work was scrapping a quantity of 16x2 backlit character LCD's. I nabbed a pile of them because I hate seeing perfectly good components thrown in the bin.

Since I have way more than I need, I'm happy to give the rest away so people can make good use of them.

They're Powertip PC1602-K character LCD's. Datasheet is here

They use a KS0066U controller, which is HD44780 compatible, so there's thousands of examples for interfacing them to everything on the net.

They're physically a very small display, suitable for displaying very small text :D

They have a 16 pin FFC connector on them, but it's the same pitch as IDC ribbon cable, so they're easy to interface to.

If you want a couple let me know, you'll pay postage costs from Sydney and that's it.

here's some crap pics, for size comparison that's a AA battery...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

A couple of notes:

Yes, I have permission from work to take them.

No I didn't pay for them, so I'm not selling them, I'm giving them away.

They are brand new.

No I won't give you tech support for them, they're provided as is, with no warranty or guarantee.

There's no catch, I'd rather see them put to good use than binned, and if it lowers the cost of entry for someone to discover enbedded programming or electronics then that's cool.

I don't want this to turn out like the free stuff thread where people were grabbing stuff (like microchip samples etc) with no intention of using it. Don't abuse it basically.

I'll give preference to people who either frequent this forum, so I'll know they use them, or reply with an indication that they have got a use for them, even if it's something simple, or for learning.

There's plenty to go around, but I won't send any one person more than 5 without a good reason.

2. zeeps

zeeps Member

I wouldn't mind 2 or 3 of these, be interesting to see if I could get it working with openwrt on my router.

3. Odje

Odje Member

I'll take a couple if no one else wants them. I am sure I could use them in one or more of the many embedded projects that I got planned for the holidays.

Where in Sydney are you located? It may be easier to pick-up but postage is fine if you prefer.

4. extreme101

extreme101 Member

id definitely like a couple. ive been learning to program IC recently, so a LCD display would be a good project to learn.

5. OP
    OP
    Caffeine

Caffeine Member

I'm near canterbury.

I just checked, and the FFC connector pitch is 1mm, not 0.1in like I thought (IDC pitch) but it'd be still simple to solder on discrete wires (or buy 1.0mm pitch ribbon cable)

I might put together a breakout board...

6. kurwa

kurwa Member

Don't mean to be a dick, but how much would postage be :p I just took basically all my money out my bank for christmas spending so have a cheapskate amount left.

edit - thats for one or two.

Last edited: Nov 20, 2007
  7. The Touch

The Touch Member

I would like a couple If you don't mind. I've nver played with lcd's before.

8. dakiller

dakiller (Oscillating & Impeding)

I'm bound to need an LCD somewhere along the line, put be down for whatever you want to send

9. intrasonic

intrasonic Member

I would like one please! Happy to pay postage to 2161. Hopefully my rudimentary soldering skills will let me make a parallel port interface. Plus, it looks small enough to even fit in one of my spare 3.5" bays.

10. OP
    OP
    Caffeine

Caffeine Member

Postage would probably be only a few dollars. I haven't checked yet. They are very small so fitting them in a padded bag wouldn't be a problem.

I'll check it out when i go to the post office next.

11. OP
    OP
    Caffeine

Caffeine Member

OK, I'm heading off to my garage to try wiring one up (if I can find my hookup wire...)

12. OP
    OP
    Caffeine

Caffeine Member

13. MooGliSH

MooGliSH Member

Would be grateful for 2 or 3 for mods, would cover packing postage and a couple of dollars for your trouble. :)

14. GooSE

GooSE New Member

I'll take one or two...

15. azron

azron Member

I'd happily take one off your hands and pay for postage to Vic. PM incoming!

16. Pierced69

Pierced69 Member

Me too me too :)

I would like two if any left :D

17. noboundaries-au

noboundaries-au Member

Ill take a few off your hands. :) (3 or 4), Been looking for some LCDs for my PCs for a while.

18. PrawnBoy

PrawnBoy Member

two would be SWELL man! :thumbup: id even take one if not enough to go around!

19. scottath

scottath Member

I would love a few [4 if possible],
    Is it also possible to hook up them to a temperature probe and have them show system temps?
    Need to learn how to use them well too, for modding my case and to display general statistics about my computer [temps mainly]
    Could someone give me a link to a tutorial or similar
    Postcode 2234 PM me for postage cost

Thanks

20. Paronga

Paronga Member

i'll take a few. 2 or 3. Postage to victoria. If you could send me a PM with details (if you want to give them to me).

I would be using them for experimenting, hopefuly put one on my xbox or Wii, i'm not sure. I am thinking of learning to program PICs so yeh, i think it'd be awesome.

Cheers.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.