Why am I only get 22.1MB/s transfer speed? (FreeNAS + HP Microserver)

Discussion in 'Networking, Telephony & Internet' started by -Sk3tChY-, Sep 7, 2011.

1. Mudg3

Mudg3 Member

Well i've just bought a intel CT NIC which I was going to get anyway so I'll give that a go.

2. draco76

draco76 Member

hi all.. sorry for this stupid questions but how do you test read/write speed over LAN between windown and ubuntu machine? is it just straight copy from win explorer or do you use any special command/software? thanks.

3. OP
    OP
    -Sk3tChY-

-Sk3tChY- Member

There's probably no doubt some utilities/programs you can use that may provide you with more verbose/accurate information, but in most cases a simple drop and drag and using Windows Explorer to monitor speed is accurate enough.

When the files are transferring just click on more details and it will show you the speed everything is transferring at.

4. aokman

aokman Member

yes not more headaches until something goes wrong lol... i quiver every time i see windows looking after decent sized arrays.

im betting its a combination of green drives with 4kb clusters and/or abysmal memory capacity. You should have 4gb at least for consistent performance in ZFS - 8GB is my choice. There is nothing wrong with freeNAS/ZFS itself more people who expect it to run on tiny servers with no resources and green hdd's.

For comparison im running 4 boxes now 2 freenas 2 solaris 11 and both max their gigabit connections at 100-110mb/s with some zfs tweaks though solaris is usually a bit better daily. I did have issues with WD green drives but once they were ditched with Hitachis all was well.

If you want to test true network speed use FTP only and if using gigabit try to set MTU 9000 if supported for Jumbo Packets. Intel CT 1000's definitely support it but switches need to also.

If your using 8gb ram pm me for some ZFS tweak settings also :)

Last edited: Sep 27, 2011
  5. Mudg3

Mudg3 Member

Just for a test because I will be selling my N36L shorly I threw in my new Intel CT NIC to see how it would operate. I get 80-100MBS when I go back to the realtech nic in Free nas its back down to 10-30MBS.

Hope that helps anyone else later down the track.

These are on Green Drives also.

6. m0n4g3

m0n4g3 Member

With SAMBA shares i've found that if you edit your fstab folder, and put in noatime into your array's mount point it can help HEAPS.

i was getting approx 50mb/s with SMB, put that option in and it shot up to 100-110.

There are also some settings you can tweak within samba but i can't remember them off the top of my head.

7. OP
    OP
    -Sk3tChY-

-Sk3tChY- Member

Well Hyrax1 helped me set up the box and I vaguely remember him setting noatime on the array, where/what should I be looking for in the fstab folder to confirm?

8. m0n4g3

m0n4g3 Member

try

Code:
    sudo nano /etc/fstab
    use arrow keys to scroll down to the line that mounts the raid array and ensure noatime is somewhere in that line under the options section

9. [KEi]SoVeReIgN

[KEi]SoVeReIgN Member

Pretty sure that's all freenas can muster with ZFS - Much harder to write to the raid than to read from it.

10. aokman

aokman Member

It can easily do over 100MB/s ive seen 300+ internally

11. cacaw

cacaw Member

To isolate any issues at the network stack, use iperf, a tool available in all OS;

Does not matter which one is the server/client, since you are on a LAN.

http://openmaniak.com/iperf.php

12. OP
    OP
    -Sk3tChY-

-Sk3tChY- Member

Code:
    # /etc/fstab: static file system information.
    #
    # Use 'blkid -o value -s UUID' to print the universally unique identifier
    # for a device; this may be used with UUID= as a more robust way to name
    # devices that works even if disks are added and removed. See fstab(5).
    #
    # <file system> <mount point>   <type>  <options>       <dump>  <pass>
    proc            /proc           proc    nodev,noexec,nosuid 0       0
    /dev/mapper/Array-Root /               ext4    noatime,errors=remount-ro 0     $
    /dev/mapper/Array-Home /home           ext4    noatime         0       2
    /dev/mapper/Array-Swap none            swap    sw              0       0
    That's how my fstab file looks.

Not sure what error=remount-ro means, but it looks like there's noatime on both volumes.

I recently transferred a substantial amount of data to the box via normal windows transfer (drop and drag) to a SAMBA share and the transfer speeds were pretty miserable at about 20-40MB/s. :thumbdn:

When I first start the transfer it starts off at about 60-70MB/s or something, but then quickly slows down to about 30-40MB/s, from there it can get as low as 20MB/s depending on the type of files being transferred.

I've heard people get great speeds with WHS 2011, but I really want a solid, reliable, flexible array and mdadm + linux is probably the best option.

I'll give it a try and report back.

Last edited: Oct 6, 2011
  13. aokman

aokman Member

- Set network MTU to 9000 if supported
    - Optimize ZFS configuration
    - Update freeNAS version (they are up to build 7903 now)

Here are my ZFS settings for a 8GB ram setup (DONT use them if you dont have 8GB or more ram...)

vm.kmem_size="7168M"
    vfs.zfs.arc_min="3584M"
    vfs.zfs.arc_max="3584M"
    vfs.zfs.prefetch_disable="0"
    vfs.zfs.txg.timeout="5"
    vfs.zfs.vdev.max_pending="10"
    vfs.zfs.vdev.min_pending="4"

No sure what you can do on the Samba front as i hate it completely...i use FTP for all my transfers and SMB or AFP only for viewing media.