Why do all games look like dreams?

Discussion in 'Video Cards & Monitors' started by Luke212, Nov 30, 2010.

1. Luke212

Luke212 Member

man i really hate this bloom effect that developers insist on having in games. it makes everything look like a dream sequence. its nothing like reality.

what do u guys rekon?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 30, 2010
  2. anthony256

anthony256 Member

Because it's an easy effect to have on consoles, make it all look flashy and "lit well" when it's actually really unrealistic.

Kinda like bloom/camera flare in movies - it adds nothing, yet they think it's stylish. Sometimes it's effective... but not in EVERY SINGLE SCENE (I'm looking at you Michael Bay).

3. hazard002

hazard002 Member

If done right, it can look great.

Spyro is a bad example, because it's made to look like fantasy, and like a cartoon, not real.

A good example would be the newer of the Need for Speed series, bloom works great and is realistic looking, only showing when you come out of a dark place (ie, tunnels), or under a bunch of trees.

EDIT - Most games have an option to turn it off as well if you don't like it, but I think it adds to a game. But thats just my opinion.

4. MdMa

MdMa Member

Each to their own.. I don't mind it in certain instances/games.

BTW, great sig Luke212.

5. mrpiccolod

mrpiccolod Member

Yea I'm not a fan of bloom for the most part either, can live with it tho.

As a side run oblivion with HDR instead of bloom, its so much better :thumbup:

6. peterz

peterz Member

I turn it off in all my games when I can... BC2, COD:BO, etc.. Looks much better / runs much better without it!

7. RhysG

RhysG Member

Don't act like you weren't impressed the first time you fired up Half-Life 2: Lost Coast!

8. mAJORD

mAJORD Member

Bloom effects like in screenshot # 2 annoy the shit out of me, so no i'm not a fan of the way it's implemented in a LOT of games.

Everything in moderation

9. ^catalyst

^catalyst Member

Bloom can add a whole lot of win; but it is rarely used to optimum effect.

This, is one of video games great shames.

One could say that, video gaming in its current sense is "All dressed up and no-where to go". As we have all this computational power that allows us to generate such wonderful visuals and the such but it is all too oft used in an amateur way.

Hopefully, someone will come along in the not too distant future and revolutionise it. I'm sure it will happen with the increase in game creation talent from the youngins of today.

10. Vaper

Vaper Member

its a dirty trick

11. NNNG

NNNG Member

I tend to find it prominent in games released around 2005 - 2007. Just fairly early implementations of HDR. Newer games have MUCH better post-processing.

12. rattus73

rattus73 Member

Just a question what where the three games in the original post?

13. Toliandar

Toliandar Member

Bloom and motion blur have both been overused in order to hide the dated graphics of consoles.

I say overused because they each have a place; however it is a cheap trick to hide detail/make things look pretty at the expense of a more true to life interpretation.

14. Brick

Brick Member

Motion blur annoys me more than bloom. Don't have any problem with it racing games, but for example, Crysis using motion blur when changing weapon = fail.

15. C.Michael

C.Michael Iron Photographer

I think your main problem is your not a Khajit on Oblivion...

16. ThunderbirdMoz

ThunderbirdMoz Member

yea I dont like it either. Its like Tinkerbell flew overhead and sprinkled pixie dust over everything.

Edit: I also don't like the bokeh effect in games. I don't mind it in photography and I know thats how our eyes work but in games I want to focus on what I want to focus my eyes on not what the game wants me too.

Last edited: Dec 1, 2010
  17. irR4tiOn4L

irR4tiOn4L Member

Well I think Arma 2 is a good example of HDR and graphics done right, and looks very nice. But games like that - they are not for everyone, and neither are their 'realistic' graphics - some people just think it looks bland or boring because they are looking for something more colourful

So i guess, to the OP - just like movies, a lot of the market wants embellishment. They want dreams

18. Scaramunga

Scaramunga Member

I personally hate bloom. BC2 looks particularly horrible with it enabled. Looks too generic. I know that no all game graphics are set out to mimic real life (and thank goodness for that!). But imagine walking around in real life with bloom (like in the second screenie), you'd wanna neck yourself.

19. HWMB

HWMB Member

Yeah man I am with ya, it looks nothing like when I go back in time and get medieval on someones arse, or start a high tech war with random adversaries, and certainly nothing like that when I take a trip back to bad old days and get my vigilante on.

Yep its nothing like reality. :rolleyes:

20. MrSmoke

MrSmoke Member

they make it like dreams so when you finish the shit story you can treat it like most generic dreams you have and forget about it :upset: