Why Do People Mod PC's and What Was Your First Mod?

Discussion in 'Modding' started by Zenskas, Jul 21, 2010.

1. Zenskas

Zenskas Member

Sorry if this has been asked before, I am a bit of a modder myself but basically I wanted to know other people's opinions to the thread title :D

Personally I find it very fun to hack and slash PC's up, it is a good thing to do to get your PC how you want it, and it is also worthwhile as often you can improve the performance of you PC with some mods.

Last edited: Aug 1, 2010
  2. disguisey

disguisey Member

its the feel of taking something already created then changing it into something else.

3. OP
    OP
    Zenskas

Zenskas Member

Good start! Anyone else care to share?

4. DeejW

DeejW Member

Modding is artistic release for me. Its combining the love of nice pc hardware with a touch of creativity, as for lighting if its done right I like it. not a blue cold cathode ziptied to the inside of the case. but its down to everyones taste, I also like the clean look of no lighting

5. OP
    OP
    Zenskas

Zenskas Member

Nice description :thumbup:
    BTW I love your scratch build too, that is one fine example of why modding is such great fun.

6. aeolas

aeolas Member

Its a good feel to give my touch to something and work as clean as i can so it looks nice to me and hopefully others. Its nice to show people what u have done. As when i do tubing a pc, it takes me a several times changing up the way the tubing goes before i am satisfied.

7. disguisey

disguisey Member

its like creating something new and wholesome , something completely your own and can express an idea or opinion of your choice

8. DeejW

DeejW Member

thanks man, future modders beware - may become addictive. :upset:

9. Rec0n

Rec0n Member

Personally, I like to explore any improvements that I can comfortably make at home that will make the case work more efficiently for me in both thermal performance, noise and ergonomics.

I have very subtle lighting from some case fans in my CM534+ case, some customised routing of cables etc in order to retain accessibility to all of my components as well as some HDD mounting setups that help to provide for solid airflow around all the warm bits.

I am not a fan of flashing lights or anything else too 'out there', but respect the wish of others to spend time and money on these things.

As a family man of middle years, I find that I have no desire to spend hard earned money on excessive modding, nor do I have the time to spare doing things that are not economical or beneficial to the operation of my gaming computer.

Younger people tend to be far more attracted to flashy, lighty things, but that doesn't make you immature. Maturity is not something to be measured by lights and gadgets, but by the methods one employs to interact with others around them......

10. OP
    OP
    Zenskas

Zenskas Member

Hehe figured you might come here Rec0n.
    Well I was interested in other people's opinions anyway but as it turns out I was correct in my thinking others like to creatively express themselves and this re-enforces my ideas/motives for suggesting mods.
    Might be boring and dumb to some but to others it's a great past time and a solid way of learning more about computers.

Am interested in more descriptions etc, and yeah I know it's addictive hey!

Last edited: Jul 21, 2010
  11. disguisey

disguisey Member

Yeh I'm getting pretty jumpy only done a few small bit's on a few generic casses >.< wanna do something good to my 900

12. OP
    OP
    Zenskas

Zenskas Member

Definitely do something to your 900, it's not a very great case in all honesty but a common thing to do is drill some cable routing holes and painting the inside black :thumbup:

13. Rec0n

Rec0n Member

Indeed...

Of course there are people who thrive on modding...it can be a very satisfying passtime/hobby. I just think that these 'opinions' can sometimes come across as preaching, and even worse if someone doesn't accept that other peoples opinions are as valid as their own...(sry people about the left turn in the thread, but Zenskas knows what it is all about).

Art is always going to be the cause of differences in opinion, and some are simply into the basics. Others though appreciate what is possible with some sleeving, shrink tube, paint and lighting.

Take DeejW as an example. I don't know anyone who would not admire the impressive craftmanship that he has demonstrated on his latest scratch mod, but the point is that not as many would be interested in having that case in their home. (Personally, I would love it!).

This OCAU forum is really the ideal environment to discuss and admire the modder's work, but don't disallow other people's opinions in their own home...

...and next time I buy a case, it WILL have room to run cables behind the MB...I really have dudded myself over the years.

Last edited: Jul 21, 2010
  14. OP
    OP
    Zenskas

Zenskas Member

Too right, but in our case Rec0n, it's merely a suggestion that was shot down and made fun of for no apparent reason. How would I know a bunch of gamers had an intent dislike to customizing their PC's so much? Again, I never stated PC modding had to be done :)

Back OT, it sucks your case has no space for cables behind the mobo. Don't worry, I have built a few PC's like that and understand it is pretty awful :upset:

I would also be interested in how people got into modding and what their first mods would be???

15. Dodge M4S

Dodge M4S Member

For me, its a therapeutic thing. It makes me feel calm. Most of my projects and mods are unfinished but thats OK. Some people drink to calm their nerves, I pull out a screw driver and a hand saw.

16. disguisey

disguisey Member

was watching a few LP videos on youtube tonight, and there new album comes out soon, as they have a new logo, based on blakc and white colour scheme, thought of doing a black and white scheme with the Linkin Park logo spray painted on the side windows that has nothing on it, white painting the whole cases black, the HDD, Mess etc a white colour, as well as spray painting the side. I created a rough drawn diagram tonight but will create a better one with auto-cad soon and see what you think. The only problem is pray painting the logo onto the side of the HDD. As I would like it to cover most of that side of the case.

17. OP
    OP
    Zenskas

Zenskas Member

Mate that sounds like a lot of painting, but would be pretty good to see :thumbup:

18. PapaRubbery

PapaRubbery Member

Excellent thread, OP.

Firstly, for me, it's about making something from nothing (when it comes to scratch building). I, like others have touched upon, like to get that creative release that you get from seeing a project come to life.

For instance, not five minutes ago I was outside with the drop saw cutting up lengths of pine to make 30cm^2 frames. I screwed up, and used the shorter side as the height, instead of the taller side. So I had to start again, after I had made one frame. Normally, if I fuck up like that at work/uni/life I'd swear a bit and kick myself. But because it's for modding, I laughed, shrugged my shoulders, found some more and started again.

Also it's about making life a little easier. Modding provides that. Also justifies me buying expensive tools! :p

19. disguisey

disguisey Member

yeh it will be, but at moment I am still waiting on my CPU to arrive so I have the time, just need ot have a look at some tutorials

20. vartain

vartain Member

modding for me is the good feeling you get when Youve created something yourself. You can look back at it and think, Wow I made that