Why do you buy Expensive Motherboards?

Discussion in 'Overclocking & Hardware' started by CHINNO, Sep 12, 2008.

1. CHINNO

CHINNO Member

Why do so many people by the expensive motherboards? I have been looking at building a new pc for a while now but am still a bit unsure on the motherboard side. Back in the early 939 days i spend $245 on an asus board but now i really can't see the point in spending that much. Is it for future use or more about Overclocking ablity? I'm just interested to hear what reason a lot of OCAUers but these $250+ boards for?

2. 2_stroke

2_stroke Member

overclocking, features, bling and quailty. Its like buying a hyndia excel or buying a bmw, simple.

3. Nova Phoenix

Nova Phoenix Member

I'm considering getting an Asus Maximus Formula to replace my Gigabyte GA-EX38-DS4. Why? Better overclocking controls, and this board has them in spades (I've seen the bios and it's massive!). Also because I heard Asus boards are good for OCing in general.

4. Bandito

Bandito Member

+1 overclocking ability (I hope) and wank factor. I remember seeing a motherboard at work when the female tech took the case off, and I was like - look at all those copper heatsinks and heatpipes! Ah, can I have a few minutes alone with that? lol but seroiusly, that board was crazy! not sure what it was tho. I reciently bought a Foxconn Blackops board for like $440 or so. I wanted a board that wouldnt limit my oc. So I figured why not!

5. Zedd02

Zedd02 Member

Extra features. The default motherboards do all that most people need. I get expensive motherboards for the features. I need at least 6 SATA ports. Most cheap motherboards don't have 6, they have 4. I want good quality audio without a sound card. Realtek 889 sound chips are quite good, but a little too pricy for low end systems. I don't want a lot of clutter in my I/O area. Basic motherboards normally have PS/2 ports, serial ports, etc. I want 2 ethernet ports. Rarely do cheap boards contain 2 ethernet ports.

Other then that, longetivity. My current motherboard was purchased 3 years ago. It it's still floating along without issue. And it's been going 24x7 since.

6. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

I don't basically. I my upper limit is about $230 on mboards. And so far I've managed to do quite well, and some of them come pretty blinged for that price.

7. saba

saba Evil Vizier

It'd be nice to buy an enthusiast motherboard that's solid and reliable, without legacy slots on the back.

With plenty of PCIe x16/x8 slots for expandibility -- let me choose what I want.

Without onboard RAID (you're an enthusiast and have an expansion card) or lots of SATA (one or two for a boot drive or burner).

With basic onboard sound (you'd have a better dedicated soundcard).

With nicely positioned slots for cooling space, and power connectors out of the way at the top.

Eh, I'm ranting. Nevermind.

8. FFC

FFC Member

P35-DS3P

$159 when I got mine 8 months ago.

Has everything I need - and more.

I doubt I'll ever see a board as good for as cheap.

9. power

power Member

i won't buy the top end boards but mid range entry level deluxe type boards generally are more reliable and have better features including RAID.

oh and most cheap boards are SHIT.

10. OP
    OP
    CHINNO

CHINNO Member

So for example if someone want to just get a Quad 4gb ram and needed 6 sata one of the cheap boards like Gigabyte GA-EP43-DS3 would be fine but lacks the extras the ocers would want? so to oc a $139 board would have to turn into a $400 board? just trying to work out exactly what that extra $250ish would be getting you.

Last edited: Sep 12, 2008
  11. boogerthe2nd

boogerthe2nd Member

If you're going for a high end chip, as in highest without going to the ridiculously priced 'Extreme' range, then an expensive motherboard would make some sense.

What I don't get is why some people spend more on their motherboard than their CPU... when their on a budget :confused:
    Their supposed argument is for better overclocks... but they could easily buy a better CPU with that extra money and still overclock.

12. MrSmoke

MrSmoke Member

i got mine because it was the cheapest SLI x16 at the time.
    + it was also a good overclocker for the q6600......shame i got a dud q6600 :(

13. oculi

oculi Member

wank factor, the last mobo i bought was a GA EP35DS3, i got a higher end version as the store didnt have the poverty spec one.

That was about 120 bucks, no reason to pay more unless you want firewire or some other shit.

Speaking o which, when are motherboards going to have wifi and bluetopopth built in?

14. MrSmoke

MrSmoke Member

theres an asus mobo with wifi

15. Tony

Tony New Member

i actually like slightly strange boards

i mean every dickhead here gets a gigabyte - that's fine if you wanna drive a commodore and whatever

i bought a $46 board... p35, crossfire, 6 sata, marvell 1000,

q6600 @ 3.0ghz

did 15,000 3dmarks on 3850 xfire

16. Bandito

Bandito Member

I just got a phase change cooling system, and plan to try to get oc's in the order of 600FSB - I doubt cheap boards could do that even with nb on phase cooling (I dont know cos tomorrow is the first time I will try my phase cooler)

My 2 other oc's so far have been limited by the cpu temps. and since I now have phase, I figured I should go a better, best mobo I could find at my local umart - it was the most expensive, so I got it without too much research - turns out it was probably a good buy. It was my 30th birthday, and I figured - what the hey.

Hey, Im honest! I admit that a part of it was to show off. I am only a newb ocer really, and I make no secret of that, but I expect that since I have a blackops others will see me as having more credibility. But I am a newbee, and the fact is that although I have been learning how to use all the features, I dont know how to. Hey, I'm honest dudes!

I reciently built a pc that I sold to my boss. I keep it at work and I use it when I go in there (I work from home half the time)
    It was (from memory) a GA-x48-ds4, it was like $169 or $189. I saw heaps of oc features in there, but I made it and oc'd the E8500 3.13GHz to 3.8GHz in one weekend. I never really looked into the features much, but it did seem like a good featured board.

I doubt there is any advantage in getting a high end expensive board like the blackops or probably anything over something like the GA-x48-ds4 as I suspect the limiting factor will be you cpu temp.

17. Flamin Joe

Flamin Joe Member

Well this dickhead :rolleyes: actually likes Gigabyte boards because they are stable and still have good overclocking features/ability. I work for a wholesaler who distributes Gigabyte, EVGA, Foxconn, ASUS, Intel and the cheaper brands Asrock, ECS, J&W etc and as far as returns go, you get what you pay for not only in quality, but service as well.

18. Sub.Zer0

Sub.Zer0 (Banned or Deleted)

You sure do with Gigabyte! Their current crop of P45 boards show this clearly. LMFAO

Fkn POS's.

19. Syvirus

Syvirus Member

I just like the look of eVGA's MB, Blue is just how i say...lame -.- I like the black MB's with bright colors on them:p. And yes im aware the Lan MB is bright orange and yellow but it dosent appeal to me.

So to me i go for the MB that stands out in looks and not much about how good it can OC.

20. stablez

stablez Member

the good die young.:upset:
    I have a shit mobo.
    Payed top price but it will live a long time.
    www.overclockers.com.au

top dollaer boards dont mean shit.
    Its the satisfaction.

Id rather a comy than a hummer.
    Maybe if petrol was unleaded 50 cent.
    But that my marshal idea.

Last edited: Sep 13, 2008