Why does ubuntu kill my NIC??

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting Help' started by millsy, Mar 15, 2011.

1. millsy

millsy Member

Hey,
    As per the title, whenever i've run ubuntu on my pc, I get horrific issues with using my nic in windows.
    According to ethtool I'm running at 1000mb/s in ubuntu, but in windows it won't even recognise that I've plugged the network cable in!
    Sometimes by forcing a connection speed I can get it to work, and sometimes a restart will fix it, but I had this exact issue with my last pc, and the only thing in common is ubuntu and a realtek network adaptor.
    What can I do? This is beyond stupid now :thumbdn: I'm having to use ubuntu as it's the only way I can get on the net

2. karlcloudy

karlcloudy Member

This problem sounds very similar to the issue I was having when I had linux installed on my machine. It is definitely related to Realtek adapters and linux and both of my 8111D NICs in my PC are vulnerable to the issue. If you unplug your PC, then boot to Windows, do you have the same problem? Usually if I can't get it to see the network adapter, I have to power cycle the system to get them working in Windows again.

3. OP
    OP
    millsy

millsy Member

I tried powercycling it twice earlier but couldn't get it to recognise the network cable. An earlier powercycle did bring it back but I had to restart and lost it again :(
    Posted in the ubuntu forums as well

Last edited: Mar 15, 2011
  4. karlcloudy

karlcloudy Member

Just make sure that when you power-cycle you have it off for a good 10 seconds before you restart the system, since the motherboard needs to run of of juice and have the NIC cut out (when the system is off, the NIC stays on the network with a 10mbps link for WOL, I presume the linux driver does something to it, because it sometimes doesn't come out of this state and causes this issue with getting the link back again)

5. OP
    OP
    millsy

millsy Member

Interesting... I might give that a go later on :)

6. OP
    OP
    millsy

millsy Member

Yeah no dice, anyone? This is beyond stupid/frustrating, will be nuking ubuntu on my next format, it's the only thing I've had in common between issues