Why doesn't this camera exist? Good high ISO, High FPS, 1080p Movie Mode

Discussion in 'Photography & Video' started by birdie, Oct 14, 2009.

1. birdie

birdie Member

I want a Full Frame camera, similar to the 5D MKII but that is lower MP say 12-15MP with better ISO performance and higher FPS for action with the 1080p HD Movie...

None of the current cameras do that even though they could...
    -5D MKII has the high MP which doesn't result in the awesome Hi ISO performance of the D700/D3 and also the slower FPS. Also the movie in 1080p is only at 30fps, no 24fps...
    -7D is crop sensor (which isn't a deal breaker) but they went and made it 18MP so i guess there goes the High ISO peformance again...
    -D700/D3 have the great FPS and ISO perfomance but no HD Movie...
    -The newly announced D3s adds 720p (why no 1080p??? this is their flagship model (not counting the D3x which is a different target))
    -D300s is crop sensor (again not a deal breaker) but it is the 12MP so thats good, but I'm not sure about the High ISO performance... though I haven't heard it promoted like i have the D700/D3... and again only 720p Movie mode...

Maybe Canon will get it right with the 60D??? who knows... I'd love to see a 60D with 12-15MP with better high ISO performance, reasonable FPS (6FPS at least, maybe take a note from Canon and give a boost when the grip is installed??) and 1080p with 30fps/24fps...

Heres to hoping Canon gets it right...

What's your thoughts?

2. ya3

ya3 Member

I'm always intrigued to find out why people have a screaming need for 1920x1080px video and why 1280x720px won't cut it.

3. OP
    OP
    birdie

birdie Member

I guess its not really a need... its more a why don't they do it... Canon's already doing it... but just not the other parts quite right yet... Also 1080p video does look nicer than 720p on a 1080p screen... more resolution is good :)

4. ya3

ya3 Member

Answered your own question ;)

5. FB008

FB008 Member

Too many armchair gear whores who seem to "need" all of these fantastically fantastic features yet never shoot. Love seeing their reaction after the announcement of the D3s, I bet most of the professionals wouldn't care less.

OH NOES IMA GOING TO CANON THEY DIDN'T DO 1080POO FUR VIDEOZ, IMA SWITCHING NAO!~

D700 is the perfect camera, pure photographic machine. Only wish it was a little smaller, i could make a few sacrifices in the viewfinder and AF system for size savings :)

6. bueller

bueller Member

^^^ What he said!

People seem to be forgetting that pro's have been getting by on a lot less for a long time... totally agree with the former poster's comment about people always going on about gear but never using it too!

The 7D would be an absolute GODSEND for me - could happily shoot with one of those for the next 5 years!

Last edited: Oct 15, 2009
  7. lench

lench Member

the main reason i switched to a DSLR was because i wanted better performance at low light.
    it was a huge step up but now im craving more! i probably wont be happy until you can get a low light and extremely 'clean' image at 1/250+ using some ISO comparable to (or better than) the human eye

as it is im quite happy shooting at 12MP, any larger and it becomes more of a burden (read/write speeds, SD/CF card sizes, hard disk space, ram etc etc)

8. proffesso

proffesso Member

no 25p? your native broadcast / tv standard? tsk

movie mode on dslr's isnt anything like a normal video camera...if thats what your expecting.

the only thing to really come close is the red scarlet...and its not out yet.

9. DaLeroy

DaLeroy Member

+1000 It really is an awesome camera. Smaller would be good, but once you've got a 1.5Kg lens hanging off the end of it, it doesn't really matter :lol:

10. thommo2002

thommo2002 Member

What is everyones obsession with video in DSLRs.

Does anyone actually use it?

I shoot with a d700 and absolutly love the thing. I have shot images that were in extremely low light and with the correct exposure are fine.

11. proffesso

proffesso Member

yes, a lot of people. some people are buying them as cheap pro video cameras..image quality is great, if you know the downsides

12. michael_

michael_ Member

its an SLR why do they even need video, i would much rather get rid of video for lower costing or better ISO performance.

13. isaaus

isaaus Member

Remember video on dslr is not an old game it's a recent development and will take time tk mature. Also as said d700 is a perfect camera. I don't own one but I have handled it at the store before I got d3. Only difference there is between d3 and d700 is the slower fps and inclusion of sensor cleaning. Fps can be adressed by addition of a bettery grip.

D700 doesn't need a video mode because Lets be honest it didn't needed it when I was released.

Now expecting a 1080p from d700x will not be wrong.

Remember Prosumer will never be satisfied. Just like higher mp is better race was implemented. Similarily we will seen movie race in dslr's. Sadly that mean less new features will be implemented and companies will look at movie as a huge feature. But prosumer being prosumer will not e satisfied with 1080p, they will want 2k after that and Valid argument will be, tethering is there and so is the sensor, companies just need to implement the better processor.

To me it all seems useless, I would rather have better low light performance than movie or fps. And if u really(catch word really) need HD video go get a broadcast camera. They have been out there for ages and do everythig required and finding a second hand one under the price of a new dslr with lenses shouldn't be hard.

EDIT: D3s is a FF DSLR.

14. Alpha2k6

Alpha2k6 Member

does 30fps vs 24fps really matter at all ?

If new TVs are 100 or 120Hz shouldnt they be able to show 30fps properly?
    In this case 30fps should have a better image quality?

Also why do you need 1080p?? 720p is very good, and saying you don't need more might be like saying 640k is enough for everyone.. but 720p is very very good for home equipment IMHO.

15. isaaus

isaaus Member

I am not an expert by any means but aparently 24vs30 fps, there is viewing difference and somehow 24 is better and is the standard.

Apparently it can be achieved post processing but is tricky to do.

Ofcourse above info can be completely wrong as I am not a film maker or video pro, last time I even made a video or got filmed was in 2001.

16. SgtCaboose

SgtCaboose Member

This.

There is no valid reason why a consumer would requre anything above 720P.

I have a 720P tiny little handheld as well as a 1080P chunky camera (relatively) and honestly the quality difference is only just noticable (1080P monitor).

1080P also creates a lot of other issues such as post-processing and the export/render time.

There is no valid reason why a consumer would requre anything above 720P.

17. OP
    OP
    birdie

birdie Member

Looks like I've opened a can of worms here...

ya3: No... I was just saying for myself its not really a "need" but my point still is why don't they do it...

FB008: are you putting me in that category? Well I'm not... Yeah I enjoy the gear its a fun part of the hobby but yes I also totally enjoy the actual part of going out and spending time taking photos...

it_inspector: I know the D3s is full-frame...

I guess the reason that most people want video in their DSLRs (me included) is the fact that you can get very nice videos out of the DSLRs (as has been seen from the 5DMkII) because you have the good lenses to achieve similar from a dedicated video camera, costs alot lot more... Also the convenience and cost savings of having everything in one is great from the prosumer...

I guess both Canon and Nikon are nearly there... If the 5DMKII had a bit less MP so they could get a decent FPS and also resulting in the better ISO performance and a firmware update to add the 24fps it would be prefect. Also Nikon just needs to add 1080p to the D700 and it would be perfect... So its nearly there...

As far as the pro's don't need it argument... i guess none of you listen to TWIP podcast, their argument is, that maybe yes now, and maybe into the future there will still be the purists but you will need to be at the top to do any good just doing stills... The middle and lower section will need to adopt video, Esp documentary togs as the newspapers budgets are getting smaller so if they can send one guy to get some photos and while he's there get a few short videos so they can add it to their website or whatever, its much better value for the newspapers.

*puts on flame proof clothing*

18. hippyhippy

hippyhippy Member

D3s is still 12MP .. and for a FF .. guess pixels dont matter.

wish i could afford a d700 :( ... low light would be so much easier .. i got a d90 and i rarely take videos, nice feature to have but thats the last feature i'd consider when shopping for a dslr.

19. led_blind

led_blind Member

One thing that is forgotten with 1080 is bit rate. Canon's new 7d has a slightly higher bit rate for 1080 than most and it shows in sharpness...

20. FB008

FB008 Member

Yeah, for the gear whore part anyway. It's a continual whinge for many people. Once something is released they always whinge about how it's not right and they should have done X, Y and Z. As ya3 already pointed out:

Well, you go enjoy your consumerism. Because with bigger resolution comes bigger processing and storage requirements.

I'm glad nikon hasn't jumped on the megapixie fairywagon.