why dont monitors have motion smoothing or checkerboard?

Discussion in 'Video Cards & Monitors' started by weak beta male, Aug 23, 2018.

1. weak beta male

weak beta male Member

i just got a new 4k tv (not for gaming, my parents need a upgrade from their 2004 crt lol) and i realized the motion interpolation/smoothing works rather well. i have an old hdmi so its 30fps 4k at max, but doom looks 60 fps (havent checked other games). obviously it'll never be as good as true 4k 60 but 30 to 60 is a huge performance demand, why dont computer monitors have this technology? i'd rather save tons of money on hardware for a bit of sacrifice in details. and checkerboard as well, 1440p 60 checkerboard to 4k 60 will probably only be a bit of sacrifice in detail.

2. Dr Evil

Dr Evil Member

Have you looked at monitors with Nvidia Gsync or AMD FreeSync? I think that is what your after.

3. mesaoz

mesaoz Member

Post processing the image adds significant delay making it useless to actually play games on with any degree of accuracy.

4. Thalyn

Thalyn Member

The results also vary wildly depending upon the framerate. Video sources can (generally) rely on having a constant stream of frames which can be interpolated between giving reliable and even results, where a game can (and usually does) vary almost to the extremes of what a display can handle.

You can see the impact on consoles easy enough despite them often being limited to 30fps. Just find something that can't maintain it (or can't even come close, like Dynasty Warriors 9) and you'll get yourself a hot, nauseating mess.

5. bart5986

bart5986 Member

motion interpolation?

Hopefully never.

I wish it was never made.

guy.incogneto likes this.
  6. havabeer

havabeer Member

Same it ruins things filmed at 24 - 25fps

As mentioned it’s the delay, doesn’t matter on TV’s as there’s no input, but when you press a button and half a second later something happens and you end up dead

7. nope

nope Member

checkerboard artifacts would look terrible on a pc monitor mate

8. power

power Member

checkerboarding is done by the source not the display.