Why don't some websites have www anymore?

Discussion in 'Networking, Telephony & Internet' started by -Sk3tChY-, Oct 29, 2009.

1. -Sk3tChY-

-Sk3tChY- Member

Prob a fairly silly question, but how come a lot of websites don't have www before them anymore?

How come some can be resolved simply by typing say imdb?

And how does it work when say for example with overclockers.com.au they have their forums as forums.overclockers.com.au ?

I'm curious, and wanting to understand a little better.

I'm sure it all revolves around DNS, but not exactly sure how/why.

2. shift6

shift6 Member

Interesting...I wouldn't mind knowing myself, but I thought it might also be a browser thing. For example typing in 'imdb' in firefox will go straight to imdb, but for IE8 itll suggest the 'best site' when typing 'imdb' simply in the field. That's what leads me to believe that some browsers will automatically add the www / .com or simply provide the best result (due to some pre-established algorithm perhaps) when certain web site names are typed in.

Note: I might be totally off :p

3. Rezin

Rezin Member

Some info on what Firefox does - domain guessing.

Edit: As for the OP, there's no rule that says you have to use www. DNS A records are what you should look into more.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Domain_Name_System

Last edited: Oct 29, 2009
  4. jamiemao

jamiemao Member

i think its a browser thing. for me, i never type www before websites.

5. CacTuar

CacTuar Member

The question about having added bits the front of an address is somethingive always wanted to know too.

6. JohnnoD

JohnnoD Member

You can have whateveryouwant.domain.com as long as it has an associated DNS record (either A, CNAME) telling it where to go.

What is annoying is when there's no record for www. and typing www.domain.com doesn't work, where as domain.com will. Get up with the times people!

7. Spingo

Spingo Member

http://no-www.org/. Well, that's the justification put forward by one of the staff members at my work why our domain names shouldn't use www. It didn't take long for me to point out that our "www" website sits on a different server than the root of our domain, and various things internally require the root domain to be on a different server.

In many cases, prefixes usually point to different servers. In the case of my work, www.visionbytes.com points to a load balanced cluster, while jira.visionbytes.com points to another server and wiki.visionbytes.com points to a separate virtual host on the same server that runs our JIRA instance. mail.visionbytes.com also points to a different server. And you're right - this is done through the magic of DNS.

With regards to the "imdb" example, this is more of a browser thing. Firefox for one will redirect you to www.imdb.com if you enter that term into the address bar as it's aware that IMDB is a popular site. If Firefox isn't able to perform a DNS lookup on the domain, it does a (Google?) search on the term and directs you to the top ranked site for that term.

I believe that www.overclockers.com.au and forums.overclockers.com.au all reside on the same server, though under different virtual hosts. This is in order to make using the site easier.

8. nEBUz

nEBUz Member

The www.-- is a subdomain... so you could for example have forums.-- or anything.else.etc.----

subdomains are registered within the DNS system. Typically sites will have the www subdomain registered/redirected to the primary subdomain (.com/.au etc. being the top domains)

My host for example maps www.mysite.com to mysite.com for me, they also let me use other subdomains, which I can redirect to other IPs (via dns) or to my IP, which then resolves the request and sends it to the appropriate page (say forums.mysite.com might redirect to mysite.com/forums =O)... at least this is how I understand it :p (mechatronics engineers don't know enough about teh internet apparently!)

edit: see above for a more succinct explanation ^ :p

Last edited: Oct 29, 2009
  9. OP
    OP
    -Sk3tChY-

-Sk3tChY- Member

Hmm.. I'll need to look into DNS a little more to get what you guys are all saying, anyone know a good place to start? I've forgotten everything I used to know. :(

I can get that the browser might do some guessing or just automatically put in www, but for some sites it will add it in, or in some case remove it.

For example;

delicious.com will resolve fine but if you put www.delicious.com it will remove the www, any particular reason? :confused:

I'm using Firefox btw.

10. oli

oli Member

People are lazy.

For a long time on by far the majority of websites www.whatever.com will take you to the same content as whatever.com

So why bother showing it? It's not as if people need to be reminded that the address is a "world wide web" address and not an FTP or SMTP or whatever other type of address you can have.

11. Luke212

Luke212 Member

you dont need www if your web designer has set up your site correctly.

no site i ever do requires www no matter what browser a visitor uses.

12. oli

oli Member

Host, not designer. Unless the designer is the host as well of course. ;)

13. Rezin

Rezin Member

They would be redirecting www.domain.com to domain.com in server-side or client-side code, or other server-side methods. No particular reason... just that's how they want it to be. :)

14. FiShy

FiShy Member

I hate wbesites who dont have records for just a TLD.

I'm looking at you BOM.....

15. Primüs

Primüs Member

no-www.org ftw! www. is deprecated. If your typing a domain into a browser, it automatically chooses the http protocol, so you dont have to specify www., how annoying! Im not quite a class A of no-www.org though as i realise not everyone shares my view, but i run a little mod_rewrite script to turn any url to my websites containt www.domain to just domain

16. Luke212

Luke212 Member

no either the designer does it, or they tell the host to do it. its up to the designer.

17. oli

oli Member

I run a host, and I just do it by default unless the designer requests otherwise.

They never have.

18. Luke212

Luke212 Member

yeah exactly

19. Rezin

Rezin Member

Try using a sans-www link in something like mIRC though. Take a Pix short URL for example... it starts with ocau.com, so mIRC doesn't recognise it as a link meaning you have to copy/paste it into your browser. If anyone knows how to get mIRC to recognise sans-www links, I'm all ears. :D

I do the opposite. :cool:

20. oli

oli Member

Die in a fire! :lol: