1. OCAU Merchandise now available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion here.
    Dismiss Notice

Why don't teeth regrow?

Discussion in 'Science' started by Danske, Feb 15, 2013.

1. Tinian

Tinian Member

Actually I said that, you said they forget it. :rolleyes:

More useless assertion.

2. $$DoLLaZ$$

$$DoLLaZ$$ Member

I was referring to more to the cognitive development side. You didn't really mention cognitive development as a reason of their lack of ability to communicate well. Which is linked to them forgetting much of the painful experiences of physical change during a babies cognitive development. As they shift from the first stage to the second the brain is rewired and those painful experiences amongst other things are not archived ;)

3. Tinian

Tinian Member

Fucking what? 'At best babies have poorly developed mechanisms for communicating the pain they are experiencing.' What else would I be referring to, their shithouse dunking ability?

4. OP
    OP
    Danske

Danske Member

Holy shit can you guys stop your pissing contest?

5. $$DoLLaZ$$

$$DoLLaZ$$ Member

I assumed you were talking about their mechanisms of communication? ie speech...

granted it is a later part of cognitive development but then again everything is a part of cognitive development in some way.

I guess you could say urine trouble for being offtopic. :D

6. Sureshot

Sureshot Member

Certain people do regrow teeth or more accurately grow additional teeth. I know of one person who had 2 sets of adult teeth after his baby teeth fell out. (The first set of adult teeth were pulled out to make way for the second set)

7. pugsley100

pugsley100 Member

Sharks grow teeth. Perhaps science will one day be able to tamper with our genes and invent self replacing teeth for humans.

"Most sharks have 5 to 15 rows of teeth in each jaw. The teeth don't have roots and are easily broken off. A tooth usually lasts a week before it falls out.
    Sharks keep replacing their teeth all their lives. A larger tooth replaces a smaller one that falls out. A shark may lose thousands of teeth in its lifetime."

8. $$DoLLaZ$$

$$DoLLaZ$$ Member

The thing is why do we need that?

9. rush

rush Member

Consider it to be overclocking your mouth.

10. The Wolf

The Wolf Member

We wouldn't need to tamper with our genes. Each one of our cells already contains the instructions on how to become a tooth. The problem is once a cell has differentiated we do not know of any method of reversing it. Stem cells may be used to regrow teeth, but since there is a ban on such research we will need to wait to see.

11. slavewone

slavewone Member

Tertiary teeth are an enigma. The women in my dads family are able to regrow tertiary adult teeth that become damaged, but not until the damaged tooth is removed, and certainly not an entire set that requires the first adult set to be removed (wow).

As for babies, teething and response to pain, it varies continuously with respect to development, activity etc etc etc. We use a mixture of Bonjela, Baby Nurofen (Panadol and Toddler Nurofen initiate a conscious gag reflex if he hasn't managed to disable us with a well aimed headbut /spit it out already) and several homeopathic alternatives (yeah, the poisonous Belladonna one that you need to imbibe billions of tablets it's so dilute and may as well be a placebo). Oh year, and a amber bead neckless as well.

12. clinic

clinic Member

I can't believe we've got this far into the thread and no one has recommended Jack Daniels for teething babies

Of course I'm not serious, but as a parent, I know you thought about it at least once :p

13. Agg

Agg Lord of the Pings

They used to recommend breastfeeding mothers to drink brandy as it calmed them down, and through their milk, calmed the baby down. :)

14. OP
    OP
    Danske

Danske Member

I swear I remember reading something about the harmful effects of Bonjela not too long ago? Am I trippin?

15. $$DoLLaZ$$

$$DoLLaZ$$ Member

I recall something like that a couple years ago. From memory (alibet hazy) it would cause committing and diarrhea in some children (I imagine a small minority) and in some cases effects on the liver and brain.

A quick google brought up this article. http://au.news.yahoo.com/a/-/world/5520403/ulcer-gels-warning-for-children/

16. Tinian

Tinian Member

From link: Bonjela Teething Gel for young children contains a different formula and is unaffected.

17. $$DoLLaZ$$

$$DoLLaZ$$ Member

Also a note on that. The Bonjela Teething Gel in Aus is different to that of the UK and Ireland. Seems the UK banned the salicylates in the formula and as result a revised version was mad. We in Aus get one similar to that of normal Bonjela (using salicylates in the formula despite the UK ban)

18. oculi

oculi Member

distance or accuracy? it's all fun until someones feet or pants get wet.

19. OP
    OP
    Danske

Danske Member

Safe to say we don't (often) regrow our teeth because we don't need to?

Here's some food for thought, did our ancestors have better teeth in regards to longevity since they probably ate less acidic food and drink like us. OR a lot worse due to the lack of dental practitioners and tooth paste etc?

Actually I think I found a flaw in my question, our ancestors didn't live to the age we live today... So hmmm maybe we should compare a 40 year olds teeth instead of 70?

20. fiberoptic

fiberoptic (Taking a Break)

What about animals that have teeth which constantly grow?

Rabbits and rats for example. Their teeth continue to grow and require regular chewing to keep them worn down.

So biologically it's possible, as I see it. It just doesn't apply to all species obviously.

I have often thought it'd be cool to have constantly growing teeth lol. Bye bye all concerns of losing teeth in old age!

Only problem is we'd need to graze all day.. and with our diets, we'd be freaking mega blimps.