Why Hardcore Gamers Mean Nothing To The Industry

Discussion in 'PC Games' started by Broden, Jul 14, 2010.

1. Broden

Broden Member

Source

What's everyone's thoughts on this? Some fair points are raised. Hardcore gamers might be aroused by them, but personally I don't see any issue with big budget casual games or anything. So long as someone is releasing good PC games I am happy (and always will be. <3 Valve).

2. T1MT1M

T1MT1M Member

The dude is a pretty big douchebag, that is all.

3. Zerstorer

Zerstorer Member

The writer is a douche, but he makes good points that many PC exclusive gamers don't seem to realise.

4. dogthinker

dogthinker Member

Huge gaping flaw in the article... He appears to have a serious misunderstanding of how capitalism works.

There's a demand for casual games. A big demand. So lots of casual games get made.

There's a demand for hardcore games. A smaller one, but still profitable. So guess what? Games get made for this market too. Just not as many.

The surge in demand for casual games doesn't mean the market for hardcore games will vanish... Their market share has shrunk, but that's because the market for games is, much, much, bigger than it was. Hearts of Iron III anyone?

Last edited: Jul 14, 2010
  5. Tinian

Tinian Member

Ignoring the enormous generalisations the truth of the matter is that by and large, companies never really catered for the hardcore gamer in the beginning. Most of the truly competitive games were either modded or patched beyond recognition. As it stands, major publishers aren't interested in spending the money after the product has hit the market - there's no return for it in PCs.

6. mevereyn

mevereyn Member

On a scale of 1 to 10, that lacklustre, embittered, childish trolling gets a "lame".

And dude, not that you'll listen (or, uh, even see this!) anyway, but yeah. "Consoles dominating gaming"...? Uh huh - probably since the 70s or so. And, "the majority want things to be easy"...? There's that news thing you do again.

7. Ward_2901

Ward_2901 Member

yeah go release a sucsessful mmo on a console...

whilst there may not be a massive amount of new games being released for PC's there are still some extremely profitable PC game titles.

8. James086

James086 Member

EDIT: I changed my mind, it does seem that hardcore gamers get catered too, I think it's just that we have ridiculously high standards.

9. SilverSilence

SilverSilence Member

I read that and instantly went into rage mode.

Last i checked any online/digital sales (Steam/GG/Impulse) aren't even counted in sales statistics of games. Steam sales alone - Christmas, Summer etc. would probably sell more then all the consoles combined.

The PC is such a universal device capable of so many things that it will never die as a gaming platform, it will always be there, maybe not as strong or popular in the future but it will out last any console.

I also would never EVER give up my kb/m for a shitty little inaccurate faggy piece of shit controller.

10. Comma

Comma Member

I prefer comparing it as:

Competitive vs Casual gamers.

I prefer a challenge in all things I do and often competing against people who are on a similar intellect level as me is more fun than mindlessly kicking ass... But then again there are times for mindless ass kicking.

11. Philll

Philll (Taking a Break)

I don't agree with everything he says, but he has a point. If there were more 'hardcore' gamers we'd have better games, period. They wouldn't buy the constant rehashes of shit so they wouldn't sell. If they don't sell, then what the market wants is what the market gets. Because the casuals, aka the Halo generation could care less how many times the same game is pushed out... well, that's why we have so many lackluster games with a few good in between. They were going in the perfect direction until around 2005, then less and less good games started appearing, and I don't think it's a coincidence that most of them were extremely simplified at the same time they appeared on consoles as sequels.

There are no original ideas left either. The Wii was successful so everyone else decides to rip it off at the same time. There's no shame for some of the shit they pull, or put spin on. "Not balanced for lean" - ha.

12. tek_01

tek_01 Member

Yes its a shame, I agree with phil that there are too many ripoffs/copies of the same games and ideas over and over again, and also a major dumbing down of games so they can be released on pc/all consoles. The author is right in some things but wrong in others as ppl have pointed out above.

Reality is that (most) people want to just put in a disc and play without having to learn anything too difficult. Its a shame because as stated, they make what sells and if the majority want this, this is what is going to be pushed out into the market

We just have to wait for the 1 in 10 (maybe more?) games that is actually decent to play that is aimed toward a gamer.

13. Fortigurn

Fortigurn Member

I thought Portal was pretty hardcore. Took me over two hours to complete, and I still haven't touched the bonus levels.

14. FatBoyNotSoSlim

FatBoyNotSoSlim Member

"You put on your anti-static wristband"

lol what?

15. SpudBoy

SpudBoy Member

i do my overclockin nekkid! :leet:

16. elephantman

elephantman Member

I have had discussions about this with many of my close gamer friends.

My view on it is that in the past, on average most games were pretty hard in comparison to games these days and in multiplayer games, you had a steep learning curve and a big gap between the pros and the n00bs.

Take CoD4 and MW2 for example (bad example maybe but its a very popular game), any decent FPS player will obliterate these games after playing for a few hours. Extremely easy learning curve...

I played about 80 hours of CoD4 and my k:d ratio was over 3.5, I'm not bragging im just highlighting the ease of the new age of games.

This ease of gameplay and short learning curve means that your casual gamer can pick up the controller and have fun and really, in the casual gamer lies the money.

I have even seen SF go from an extremely steep learning curve (3rd strike) to one significantly easier in SFIV.

The market is just not there for hardcore gamers, the scene has evolved and business is business however I think while there is a saturation of the market with casual games, there will still be a consistent amount of games being released for to cater for us.

This is my personal view on it, feel free to disagree or discuss otherwise.

and the writer of that article is a douche.

P.S.
    I have been playing BC2 for the past month, I chose it over MW2 because I wanted something hard and new to me and so far I am loving it (it has been many years since I've said this about an MP FPS).

17. dead_man

dead_man Member

sounds like a console fanboi having a whinge.

fact is both formats have there merits, there hardcore gamers and there casual gamers.

18. CordlezToaster

CordlezToaster Member

pc gaming will live with apple getting steam its like a console version of a pc.

Only limited graphics cards etc.

19. porridge

porridge New Member

Doesnt world of warcraft make 700mill a year or something stupid? that alone would make his figures defunkt.

20. cicada

cicada Member

I score this about 3 out of 10 lame trolls.

5 points taken off for lack of razor wit, and lack of cutting use of language and vocabulary. Big fail here.

You need to display some elite wordsmith skills and or a razor wit if your going to successfully humiliate and incite a bunch of cynical and apathetic PC gamers. We all have our internets 101 pass and this lame attempt at a troll is so year 2000.
    urrrgh! pathetic.

I mean, the pasty white guy in his mums basement is so far removed from reality that no one buys it. Completely undermines all his other (potentially valid) points. If he wants to "push the buttons" of hardcore gamers he needs to be more accurate and clever.

The other 2 points were taken off for him getting hard over E3 and motion sensing in games. Every non hype report I read seemed to allude that motion sensing (although big at the moment) in practice, is turning out to be a bit limited in terms of the games it suitable for and the audiences its suitable for.