1. OCAU Merchandise now available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion here.
    Dismiss Notice

REVIEW Why I left Apple, and why I'm going back.

Discussion in 'Mobile Phones & Devices' started by echelon6, Feb 1, 2015.

1. echelon6

echelon6 Member

There's a similar thread on this topic but I think my perspective is different and deals with different concerns and my conclusions are different.

I had an iphone 4 since it first came out in 2010 and I used it daily for business and personal for 4 years. For most of its life I loved it, it served its purpose and was reliable. Near the end of its life I began to hate it only because it was getting slow, after being forced to update to newer and newer ios versions due to app compatibility.

Pros:
    -apple product build quality is best or (arguably) equal best (and the equals aren't significantly cheaper, e.g. the HTC flagships are only 20% cheaper)
    -IOS is more polished - no significant bugs - does its main jobs successfully as a smartphone
    -Properly set up out of the box (as a person who is busy with productive shit, I don't have time finding the best 3rd party apps for basic functionality like predictive typing, which the default android keyboard is so inexcusably terrible at.)

Cons:
    -Apple's business practices

I'll elaborate more on this - basically Apple is in the business of maximising the size of their ecosystem so they make their systems very closed and practically a PITA to use with devices not part of this system. e.g. need the bloated iTunes just so you can add music to the phone. Their game is in building up the size of their customers and keep them dependent on their line of products due to the ecosystem, and as a result they can continue milking their cash cow customer base and maintain high margins.

Another way to see it is Apple is analogous to Mac (no brainer there) whereas Android is analogous to PC - by separating software and hardware as with PCs (like what Android has done), it's allowed PC hardware to be heavily commoditised and market forces and open competition erodes margins down until we have cheap PC hardware like we do today - the same cannot be said for Macs, but people still buy them for the software-hardware integrated experience and the implied guarantee that things just work (albeit you pay a high premium for this fact). So there's heaps of competition driving prices of android phones down relative to apple, but apple is the only choice if you want to avoid android - again they can maintain margins and 'rip you off' if you want to avoid android.

But anyway, I got what I paid for, 4 years for a phone is fantastic no matter how you see it, but it was too old and slow and it was time I got a new phone. Now, considering I am against wasting money and being dependent on an ecosystem and I am quite tech savvy, Android sounded like a great idea. It was the PC of phones - hardware was already heavily commoditised (e.g. if Samsung decides to charge too high, well fuck em I'll get a HTC / LG / Huawei / Xiaomi / OPO etc etc - so much choice).

Plus, stronger google integration and general compatibility and openness is fantastic as well - e.g. drag and drop music into the phone, something so simple that you can't do in an iphone.

Build quality (alot of people don't care about this but I really care - I appreciate good workmanship in the things I buy) is inferior in general but there are some acceptable choices.

Now, in 2014 I settled on a Oneplus One off ebay. I was eager in doing research, eager in buying it, and was excited and positive in using it when I first got it. However this all changed after the first few weeks - here's why: (not sure whether these issues are specific to the OPO or android in general but I have a feeling it's android in general)

1) the default camera app DOES NOT SAVE photos if you lock your phone right after taking the photo (as you would). Instead you need to wait for the loading cursor to screw off before locking the phone and pocketing it, else you LOSE your photo. I discovered this while overseas on holiday - after I lost several photos already.

What the fuck Google - for a multibillion dollar company, get your shit together! My friend who is an Android loyalist who will probably read this, told me "that's what you get for buying a cheap chinese phone" well mate, I don't think so - hardware is hardware, this seems like a software issue or at least a compatibility issue that shouldn't have passed QA. His solution is to find a third party camera app - which I'll now have to do to achieve usability of the camera, but I think I'm reasonable in thinking that this is an inexcusable flaw.

2) the default keyboard is TERRIBLE at predicting correct typing. It's so bad I have to retype 1 out of 3 words. After asking the above friend 'wat the f' I find out that practically every android user downloads and uses this app called Swiftkey. I get the app and it's good - much better than the default, and it's acceptable. But again, I think I'm reasonable to think that this is another inexcusable flaw of a multibillion dollar company's product. Many people argue "yeah Android may not just work out of the box like IOS but it's for tech savvy people who want extreme customisation instead of mums and dads" well mate, customisability and 'working out of the box' (or as I call it, rudimentary quality control) ISNT MUTUALLY EXCLUSIVE - why can't Android be great in default, but also be customisable?

3) the lock rotate icon in the swipedown menu DOES NOTHING. It does not lock the orientation of the phone when on or off. Again, what the fuck Android! you made it to version 4.whatever and no one found out that there's a button that does nothing?

4) After just a few months of ownership of the OPO phone, I'm now seeing other sort of dodgy bugs that I cannot reliably reproduce, e.g. soundloops, crashes etc. I cannot fully blame android on this because from the above 3 points I've been throwing my phone alot out of rage and hatred. Fuck this phone so much. On second thought, it is Android's fault.

I will be hocking this on ebay or gumtree soon and returning to Apple phones. I don't have the time to fuck around with finding 3rd party apps to make basic functionality usable. I'm not in high school anymore with loads of time to muck around with this stuff.

IN CONCLUSION
    Apple sounds terrible in theory - you buy one shit and then realise it doesn't work practically with non-Apple shit and you may end up buying more Apple shit and then you're a sap. But the product itself works.

Android sounds GREAT in theory - separation of hardware and software, market forces and competition drives innovation faster, lower prices and more choice. But the product actually doesn't work (mayyybe if you had heaps of time to make it work it will work). It's a polish issue - lots of little latent hinderances and QA issues start to surface as you use it.

So Apple, while being a terrible choice, is the only choice, for me.

Last edited: Feb 1, 2015
  2. Menthu_Rae

Menthu_Rae Member

I read your whole rant and I can see your viewpoint.

I will say you made a mistake in going with the OnePlus One - it is at the cheaper end of handsets/hardware, it's using Cyanogen which is the equivalent of say, Arch Linux.

My first foray into smartphones was the Samsung Galaxy S3. It was at the time (4.0 ICS and later 4.3 JellyBean) the first point where I thought Android was polished enough to use rather than being some kind of experimental new OS.

Ultimately the extra layer of software on top of Android (TouchWiz) bugged me too much - the Galaxy S3 became slower and slower to use (this may also be related to the eMMC bug) and so I got rid of it.

As a result, I moved to a Google/LG Nexus 5 after seeing a friend's Nexus 4 and how quick it was compared to my S3.

I haven't looked back since - it doesn't have the best camera, the best build quality or the best features - but "pure" Android is a joy to use. Even when it was lacking features with 4.4.x compared to Samsung's UI - the move to 5.0 has ultimately boosted functionality in a huge way.

The speed difference compared to my S3 is immense and at no time have I found the phone slowing down to any level that would be frustrating.

The LG build quality is "OK" but not amazing - but they are at least a large enough manufacturer that there aren't significant issues impeding functionality / usability / longevity.

Anyway mate - TL : DR - I think you made a poor choice in venturing to the Android world with your handset/software choice and only have yourself to blame. At this stage in 2015 there are numerous Android handsets with good to great build quality and software releases that aren't overly bloated like in previous days.

3. Rigby

Rigby Member

Why did you get a One Plus One? All of your problems seem to stem from that. It runs CyanogenMod which isn't stock Android. A nexus phone probably would've suited you much better.

4. Sipheren

Sipheren Member

I had iPhones from the first to the iPhone 4 after which I moved to a HTC One X. I have not looked back since, moving to the HTC One M7 and using that until this week.

I had a look and used an iPhone 6+ and just love the design so I have moved back. You definitely miss some stuff from Android but I do have to say the feel of iOS is very nice, it's all very simple and very fluid.

That said, I never had any major issues with Android, I always ran the Android Revolution (latest) rom.

From the sound of your post the OnePlus One and Cyanogen are the main faults.

5. OP
    OP
    echelon6

echelon6 Member

Fair enough, thanks for your analysis. Question is what's with all the hype and good reviews and good feels about the OPO all over the internet? It's not like I did zero research before deciding to get it... disappointing that so many people are happy with such an unpolished pos

Can I flash the OPO to stock android?

6. Sipheren

Sipheren Member

There seem to be a few asop roms xda, try some of those.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/oneplus-one/development

7. Ratzz

Ratzz Member

Bought a new ZTE Blade android for the wife a couple weeks ago. $88 at officeworks, unlocked, everything works just as it should, good battery life. Build quality is good.. even her daughter who uses an iPhone 5s can't fault it.

Of course it depends on personal needs, and I did used to have an iPhone 4 for some years which I had no complaints with apart from the obvious 'who the fuck thought an all glass phone was a good idea' thing.

Personally I think this ZTE is every bit as good, if not better, than my iPhone 4 was. Unless you have specific needs which a basic phone doesn't cover, I'm thinking spending megabucks on fancy phones is just silly these days. Unless you have very specific needs, they all work well.

My Huawei Y530 android is an excellent phone (a bit bigger than her ZTE), very happy with it, and it also cost me less than $100. Compares well with the aforementioned iPhone 5s although battery life could be better.

I've also found predictive text works just fine on both of these androids.

I think you just bought a dud.

8. _slappy_dn

_slappy_dn Member

Should have got a HTC one m8.

9. OP
    OP
    echelon6

echelon6 Member

Probably should've

ahh well live n learn

should've got an iphone 6 too

10. OP
    OP
    echelon6

echelon6 Member

11. Menthu_Rae

Menthu_Rae Member

I believe a lot of the hype came from Cyanogen ROM devotees. When you read about various Cyanogen ROMs however, things like non-functioning cameras, phone diallers not working (i.e. the phone call part of your phone!), all manner of things not working - it makes it clear that for many people they just love tinkering with their phone to make it something it wasn't...

I'm not sure where you did your research but when I went on various forums people were having many issues with their OnePlus Ones - even things like the screen being tinted yellow as a hardware problem that then had people writing software fixes to change that area of the screen to be less yellow and stuff (WTF? :confused: ).

I probably spent about 30 - 45 minutes skim-reading reviews and looking on their forums and worked out it was most likely a POS.

I can appreciate that a lot of people feel otherwise and that there was a lot of hype over it - but as always you need to cut through that to find what's really going on.

No device nor 100% of devices is/are perfect but usually the types of faults you see are indicative of where the issues lie and how severe they are.

The reality of the situation is that Apple have the cash, control, discipline and arrogance/image to live up to - so as a result their hardware/build quality/design is fantastic.

The price you pay as you've noted with your OP is that you end up locked into their ecosystem and their hardware-refresh cycle.

You could still go out now, throw your OnePlus One in the bin and buy a new Nexus 5 and still be ahead price-wise compared to the iPhone 6.

I would suggest - if you haven't completely given up - that you do some more research or even post a thread on here asking for handset suggestions and maybe find something that does really suit you. :thumbup:

EDIT: Flashing on random ROMs I think will likely end up being a dead-end for you. There are always going to be bugs and broken things in ROMs rolled by one-a handful of people. You might get lucky, but you might also end up wasting a lot of time.

12. JamesR

JamesR Member

I don't seem to understand the hate iTunes gets.
    It's been my default media player since version 4.7 came out, and I have never had a problem with it.
    I am an Apple enthusiast, I have had mutiple iPods, iPhones i have an iPad and an iMac with MacBooks inbetween.
    I like the intergration of the software, I can download movies,music, tv shows, podcasts, apps, update and backup all my idevices and manage my music library on my Mac and other devices.
    Sure, being able to drag and drop files would be nice sometimes, but it's not a big deal.

The other thing that keeps me coming back to Apple is the support. On the few occasions I have had issues with Apple products, I was able to return to their stores and resolve any issues without too much fuss.

13. bennyg

bennyg Member

Review? This belongs in the rant thread. Extrapolating your ONE phone worth of experience (that doesn't even run an official version of Android) into all of Android is flawed.

1) and 3) I have experienced in zero of my 7? Androids over 5 years.
    2) - there are better alternatives to all of the stock apps but not everyone wants the same, this is the strength of competition - I have choice. I have run various versions of CM over the years on various phones and sometimes the stock apps suck and get replaced. Maildroid and touchpal contacts & keyboard are ones I've used for years and are automatic installs on new/newly imaged phones and camerazoom is the alternative if the stock camera app sux.
    4) phone and build specific. This OPO sounds like it's got more issues than the couple of cheap chinafones I've had and is running a rushed CM build with rubbish stock apps that you can't be bothered replacing.

Google to find forums and threads everywhere about what apps are the best. Unfortunately there's no easy one stop support page or "genius bar" to do it for you like what you are probably used to with apple

14. supasaiyan

supasaiyan Member

I'll put in my 2c... Owned a 3G, 3GS, 4, 5 and then jumped to a HTC One XL, Z1 and now LG G3 ( with a couple of Nokia's in there too).. If I could have the camera from an iPhone and put it on an Android, I'd be set. I have a 18m old kid, and while I do have an SLR, the camera on every Android I've used, doesn't stack up to the apple ones!

15. ~kraven

~kraven Member

Androids fragmentation started to become less of a problem, but now is its biggest problem.

For the normal person, explaining why their GS5 is slow or staggers or bloated due to ROM issues is pointless. Most people don't want that. That can be seen by the HUGE flood back to Apple with the iPhone 6/6+. It swung the 2 horse race from nearly 55/45 pre iPhone 6 to 55/45 in iPhones favor. 10% swing was massive,

Androids issue is that stock android is beautiful, reliable and solid. That's only Nexus devices though. Most normal peoples experience with Androids is a Samsung (hence their huge drop in sales/popularity as they make shit versions of phones for the normal person. The shines worn off.

All this is being said by a huge Android fan. Fragmentation is killing Android. Make everything stock, let manufacturers have themes and make all the add-on shit apps. The GPe devices where amazing, but pulled due to low sales as 85% of smartphones in the world are sold on contracts/plans.

From someone that truly dislikes Apple, they do make good products, but they are also closed, and very good at milking money from small iterations.

16. Slugoid

Slugoid Member

As many have said, this is just an experience of one phone (a Chinese brand) and an Android version that's based off the stock version. If you want a proper Android experience, get a Nexus or stick with big brands (i.e. Samsung, HTC, Sony etc.). Chinese brands are ok for the price, but there's always something wrong with the firmware. Even Xiaomi, one of the bigger Chinese brands, is not has stable as firmware from the big brands.

Apple or Android, to me it's all the same. For me, I'm fully integrated with Google (Gmail, G. Keep, G. Drive, G. Contacts, G. Calendar, Chromecast), so I'll be happily staying with Android for a long time. I use to have iPod and iPad, so there's little reason to go back to iPhone where I'll have to integrate with the iOS system again.

If you compare Android Lollipop with iOS 8, the experience will be quite similar. Both are fast and stable imo.

17. Hullsy

Hullsy Member

Its a fucking phone I cant believe you would waste the effort and time to write this post Apple is Evil Android is not so evil if you want to loose your mind use a Windows 8 phone

18. flu!d

flu!d KDE Neon 5.16

I love my Nexus 5 running Android 5.0.1, there's no way I'm ever going back to the Apple closed ecosystem.

19. power

power Member

So you had an iPhone 4,bought what is essentially a cheapie Chinese enthusiasts phone with a tinkerers os installed and didn't like it and then wrote an epic post about your two phones? As above get an HTC or Nexus or something else not SS as they take android and wreck it.

20. majorlol

majorlol Member

interesting, i'm considering giving apple iphone a chance because of you! haha:thumbup: