REVIEW Why I left Apple, and why I'm going back.

Discussion in 'Mobile Phones & Devices' started by echelon6, Feb 1, 2015.

1. whowalks

whowalks Member

So totally agree with this ^^^^^
    Thats why I am anti apple :(

As for your android experience ...... I havent actually read the whole thread but just the OP, however Im sure that most of the replies will be saying wrong hand set dude.
    Ive got a Nexus 4 after trying some cheaper ones from decent manufactures eg samsung and HTC. and love it. I just brought a Galaxy 5 for the wife and that's awesome (even she can use it) LOL

2. cvidler

cvidler Member

To continue the OPs mac vs PC analogy.

Getting a Samsung/HTC Android phone is like buying a HP/Dell/IBM PC. It's put together by professionals, and you get bloatware. But it's all tested and does what it says on the box. This extra care and testing costs. You pay for it in the price of the handset. It's also why Android updates for these handsets take much longer, each update goes through the same testing which takes time. The manufacturers don't want to release a phone with dodgy performance or buggy features. Hint: Apple does all this too.

Getting an OPO/Huawei etc. it's like getting a whitebox from some no-name PC store/market. It's a bunch of bits thrown together, and Windows installed on it probably without the right drivers loaded or config done. It's NOT tested thoroughly, but it's cheap. For people that like to constantly upgrade ROMs and such, their happy with that.

If you want a solid phone that works as it should out of the box. Stick to the big brands.

3. power

power Member

Not forgetting all the broken iOS releases that happen.

4. cvidler

cvidler Member

No one has been perfect. Shit happens etc...

My first S3 died from the memory fault. But it was promptly replaced and all good. My S4 and S5 have both been faultless.

5. power

power Member

Oh I know that, and I accept it - however too many people trot out the "Apple just works" when in fact many times it does not.

6. idiot_child

idiot_child Member

I have 2 suspicions:
    1. If you work for Apple and are in Windows software department, you're probably second division in the eyes of the company. People raved about how great iTunes is, this must be on a Mac.
    2. Jony Ive should stick to industrial design. The UX team are suffering from inattention from him being split across hardware/software, or he just isn't very good at software usability. Or the good ones jumped ship to their own start-ups long ago.

7. Hater

Hater Member

I must admit, iTunes on a 9 year old iMac G5 did run better than on my quad i7 ProBook running Windows 8.

8. clonex

clonex Member

HTC has a great record in recent times

9. power

power Member

I'm pretty sure that's not the issue, we've had a couple of users here trying to make out that because Apple have a closed shop all their shit don't stink.

Having said that, my 3 HTC's have been pretty decent. The One M8 in particular has been awesome, the thing just never skips a beat - so quick.

Earlier versions of Android (ginerbread etc) had some annoying limitations but in general they have been faster and more usable out of the box then the equivalent iOS device, especially high end devices.

I honestly wish people didn't have to experience Galaxy devices more than anything.

10. Sipheren

Sipheren Member

I think ever since JB came out Android has been on par with iOS in terms of performance. The only benefit Apple gets is being able to tailor the Software very specifically to the Hardware, this is why they get decent performance from less powerful Hardware (this includes battery life).

The mind set that Android is buggy and runs worse than iOS needs to go, this was correct during Gingerbread buy not any more.

My One M7 runs Lollipop just as nice as my 6+ is running iOS 8, the 6+ is maybe a bit smoother but it's also much newer than the M7.

11. clonex

clonex Member

Get a nofrills custom rom and you'll get the battery life of a old nokia brick.

Launchers/widgets and it'll drain right before your eyes.

Battery in my 920 lasts for ages

12. Sipheren

Sipheren Member

Yeah, of course. Even just changing the kernel improved the battery life on my M7 without sacrificing services.

If you don't use any of the background processes than using a rom that doesn't have them would always be a good idea.

I like having FB, email, twitter, cam backups, location services, etc all running so I live with the batter use. Just get a phone with a big battery :thumbup:

13. elvis

elvis Old school old fool

I skimmed this thread, and don't even know where to start.

Probably better I just ignore it and get on with some real commercial work (which doesn't involve either iPhone nor Microsoft, but does involve a lot of Android and x86_64 Linux, and a shitload of money).

Last edited: Feb 4, 2015
  14. OP
    OP
    echelon6

echelon6 Member

Yeah after reading this thread's replies, seems like OPO is a piece of shit. Fuck my phone so much. Thanks all for the feedback

15. clonex

clonex Member

Does iOS have anything like samsung sense/touchwiz or htc blinkfeed yet?
    widgets?
    Last iphone i had was an 3GS and shortly used an 4 maybe about 2years ago

16. Sipheren

Sipheren Member

Touchwiz and sense are just skins from the manufacturer, which I would rather not have.

Blinkfeed is just htcs flipboard, which is available for all platforms.

iOS has widgets in the notification pull down, so kind of, would rather them just on the main screen.

17. metalrain

metalrain Member

I choose Android for having unlimited file format compatibility first, then customizability second. I've had Samsung Galaxy/Nexus phones for more than half a decade now and probably will for the foreseeable future. I've never appreciated how Apple "babies" it's customers around :thumbdn:, deciding what the best experience is rather than allowing the customers to do what ever the hell they want with their most used piece of technology.

While I can understand how some technologically inept people (oldies, ignoramuses, cats etc.) may prefer having everything done and set for them, but the freedom of Android is just too good ignore :)

18. bondy_112

bondy_112 Member

I went from a iPhone 5 to a HTC One M7, to a LG G3 over the last couple of years.

The HTC really was a nice piece of hardware but the camera sucked and I ended up having the phone replaced twice for the same non focusing camera fault, out of the 3 other people I know that had an M7 all of them had hardware issues of some sort that led to the phone being replaced which is a shame because HTC otherwise had a great piece of design.

These issues pushed me towards a new phone so I picked us a G3 after seeing good reviews and decent hardware, while it was a great piece of hardware packaging and the screen was excellent it suffered from mixed battery life, overheating and the lollipop update really has some shitty force closing issues which makes the phone borderline unusable sometimes.

These issues with the htc and lg are not what I would expect from a flagship device from a mature manufacturer, from a second tier company or device say an opo maybe, but not from htc or lg. The upside of android was I could transfer files easily and there was ultimate flexibility to set up the device how I wanted.

Ultimately the upsides weren't worth it in the end as the hardware or base OS was too unreliable. In the end I went back to an iPhone 6 and have been happy since with the build quality and os stability.

Last edited: Feb 8, 2015
  19. Smokin Whale

Smokin Whale Member

I just want to point out that there is a software update that fixes all of the OP's issues with the OnePlus One. I've been using it full-time for around 2 weeks and there is very little I can fault about it. Best phone I've ever used, and I've used a lot. I use it for business and I love it. Much better than my Samsung Galaxy S4. With the sort of things I use my phone for, I can't imagine ever switching to an iPhone.

20. flu!d

flu!d Never perfect, always genuine

After running a Nexus 5 with Android 5.0.1 there is no way I'm going back to the limitations of iOS and iTunes - Not a chance in hell. My Android experience has been faultless with the exception of my S3, Touchwiz sucks, but thankfully a quick flash to Cyanogenmod rectified that for a true Android experience.

Right up until I dropped the S3 on the workshop floor....