Why I should not go to bong cooling!

Discussion in 'Extreme and Water Cooling' started by Silver_Platinum, Apr 8, 2004.

1. Silver_Platinum

Silver_Platinum Member

Whilst researching about the BA-Heatercore I managed to run into this new (new for me) cooling method called evaporative cooling or 'bong' cooling, now I'm quite interested in this, and this I will go ahead with the project, if everything is given the all clear.
    BTW I should mention, my system remains stationary.

What I want you guys to tell me is WHY I SHOULDN"T GO to 'bong' cooling!!!!

Cheers

2. sub429

sub429 Member

First thing you will want to do is check out the threads under the 'Evaporative Cooling Creations' heading in the collective sticky here:
    http://forums.overclockers.com.au/showthread.php?s=&threadid=171425

One of the most popular is Volenti's as it is simple and cheap to make, and performs very well.

Basically the only reason for not using evaporative cooling is that it is not portable, and the loop is open, allowing dust and other crap to fall in and possibly clog it up. This is easily fixed by having a filter over one of the sides though.

Evaporative cooling will definately give you better temperatures than a typical closed loop with a BA, or any other rad.

EDIT: Here's Volenti's same design, but cheaper:
    http://forums.overclockers.com.au/showthread.php?s=&threadid=180552&highlight=volenti

Sam

Last edited: Apr 8, 2004
  3. Kommando

Kommando Member

Im thinking of making a "bong cooler" to cool my ramsinks lol :):)

4. Mred32

Mred32 Old and Decrepit

Keep in mind that with bong (evaporative) coolers, the water evaporates so you need to keep filling it up. Depending on the weather and your system, this might be every day, or every week.
    Also, with a constant supply of water vapour in the room, you might find you get mould growing in places you don't want it.

Mred32

Last edited: Apr 8, 2004
  5. Kommando

Kommando Member

Does volentis style evapourative cooler run out of water?

6. OP
    OP
    Silver_Platinum

Silver_Platinum Member

I'm thinking of going with this one, it looks made Clicky
    Would this type of tubing, elbows etc be available at a hardware store?

7. Mred32

Mred32 Old and Decrepit

ALL evaporative coolers need refilling or they run out of water. The only way to avoid it is if the cooler is in a closed system with some method of reclaiming the water.
    The very nature of an evaporative system, by definition, means the water evaporates.

Mred32

8. Kommando

Kommando Member

Oh yer doh!

My bad, hmm... might do some experimenting :)

9. Long Haired Git

Long Haired Git Member

Remember, the water in a tower bong as per your link is free-falling down that height. Hence, the height of the shower-head above the deck is additional "head" in your loop.

So, if you have just a LRR/Cascade and its providing say 0.75m of head @ 5 LPM, and you have a 1.25m tall bong, you need a pump that will flow 5 LPM @ 2m of head.

This rules out even the eheim 1250.

Also, bongs are noisier than low-speed-fan-on-heater-core setups due to the noise of the water at the bottom, and to a lesser extent, the shower head itself.

10. Goose AU

Goose AU Member

heres a method for refilling them
    http://www.overclockers.com/tips667/

and Bong coolers can be very quiet if done well and I know id rather hear the sound of trickling water then annoying fans.

11. Cathar

Cathar Storm Father

Having experimented with evaporative cooling, I'd say that if I were to do it again, I'd implement it as two loops.

I'd hang a coil of copper tubing in a reservoir and feed each end of that into my main loop. The main loop would be sealed.

I'd then implement the evaporative cooling setup as a separate loop, and use that to chill the reservoir water that the copper tubing is sitting in. i.e. essentially acting as a water-water heat exchanger.

That way should the main reservoir ever run dry, because if you're like where I live, you need to stick in on average about 5 litres of water per day (and that's only for a moderately effective setup), running dry is a potential concern.

Anyway, the deal is if you ever did run dry, the fan that's blowing through the evaporative loop will provide enough air-flow over the copper coiled tubing for it to effectively act as a semi-decent radiator in its own right, so your main loop will never over-heat.

In general though, even when using a micro-irrigation filter, too much crap gets into the water for my liking. Your evaporative tower does effectively become a massive dust collector due to the air-flow through it coming into contact with the falling water.

12. Crash Dummy

Crash Dummy Member

I'm not sure what people normally use for water in their bong setups but i can see Cathar's idea as being a great one having 2 loops. I not quite sure if temps would be quite as good as having a single loop but i think the good points of the system far outweigh the bad things. The other big plus is with the duel loops as already mentioned you can keep the water clean in your main loop so you'd be able to run distilled water and also coolant if required with no worrys about your health from having nastys in the surrounding air.

*rubs chin* i think i'll have to give this a go some day.

As for the question in the topic. Go for it no reason not to make a evaporative cooling setup. So long as you don't mind refilling it constantly.

Last edited: Apr 9, 2004
  13. The Bad Egg

The Bad Egg Member

Reason why not to do it!

Apart from the filling, dust and portability problems, the other major problem with bong cooling is that the system is humidity sensitive. If the humidity is high, the cooling effect is less. I was thinking about going for bong cooling (if only for the name) but relised that Brisbane is most humid when its hottest- probably not smart.

From memory, the piont where cooling efficency starts to drop is about 85%. If it gets more humid where you are I wouldn't try it.

14. Tebinium

Tebinium Member

BEEEEG Evap cooler

Okay, here we go:

You set up your system.
    Then, you run the "wet" side of the system out through the wall.
    Over (or under) the concrete and lawn.
    To the 25 feet of copper coil in the pool.

MWUHAHAHAHA - that would rock :)

15. Volenti

Volenti Member

Traditional free drop bongs can be noisy but my design (and variations on the same theme) are silent if run fanless or as "noisy" as whatever fan you use.

Bare in mind that my design in fanless mode still out-performs a fan forced rad setup (even in high humidity), and fanless mode is the most efficient water use wise and collects less dust in the water.

16. garry_starling

garry_starling Member

seriously why is this called bong cooling?

question from an ex-stoner

17. Kommando

Kommando Member

Looks like a bong...

18. The Bad Egg

The Bad Egg Member

Only cause people don't want to put filters on the fans.