Why is Blu-ray playback such a headache?!?

Discussion in 'HTPC' started by Dodge M4S, Sep 5, 2013.

1. MUTMAN

MUTMAN Member

no, you are wrong
    dvi output on the nvidia cards can and does do bitstream lossless audio
    which is handy if, like me, you have a 3d capable display but not a 3d capable receiver. (display is 1.4, amp is 1.3)
    in therory there is no good reason why amd cards cant do the same thing, but, the option doesnt exist in amd drivers (yet?)

2. oscarg

oscarg Member

Thanks for pointing that out.

Technically some later nVidia cards can get their DVI connections to pretend to be HDMI connectors, and that is great...

...but thats not what I was referring to.

Most DVI sources don't do that, and a DVI to HDMI cable will not fix that.

I was referring to the DVI standard, which does not support audio, (or deep color, xv colour etc etc)

Im pretty sure the Geforce 6210 (which this thread is about) will not do that.

And its funny - I had the same issue as that with my RX-V3900 (would only support HDMI 1.3).. although its still a great amp :)

Last edited: Sep 21, 2013
  3. Barret50Kel

Barret50Kel Member

I know it's true because I have done it before, I don't need to refer to Google :)

And I have the Marantz SR7005, yes the logo appears for DTS-HD MA and DD TrueHD, I have been bitstreaming for a long time now and know the ins-and-outs-and-whys, and mated and myself can tell a huge difference with my setup compared to LPCM, hence why I do it. I borrowed an Oppo-103 and hated it compared to my setup, it was slow and the interface was annoying, the network feature was flawed and it couldn't read exFAT at the time (I believe they can now though?), and I am not comparing the price to a Titan as there are cards much cheaper that can bitstream (for nvidia and radeon).

Also, the Oppo had no distinct advantage with picture quality, further reducing it as an alternative for me.

I can't say I've ever had a 12-hour HTPC fixing session, but it sounds like something I wouldn't enjoy and with my current setup, haven't had to fix for the 18 months since I started ripping my own collection.

Now with the new standards coming out in the next few years, I can't recommend spending money on htpc software either!

4. flu!d

flu!d Never perfect, always genuine

I've run both ATi/AMD and NV cards in my HTPC and overall I had far less issues with the NV product, trying to output the correct colourspace for HT use out of the AMD card using CCC was a PIA, and I was bitstreaming audio via HDMI on both cards.

Nowadays I use onboard intel graphics and I find the solution to be far more effective than the AMD/NV solutions combined.

And just to clarify, NV bitstream audio over DVI when using the correct adapter.

The good thing about the Oppo is the possibility for region free playback - However it comes at a fair premium. Oppo aren't the bang for buck brand they were in the days of DVD.

5. Scissors

Scissors Member

I've just switched from onboard intel gfx to nvidia 200 series and the picture quality has taken a huge leap forward. My blacks where never right using the intel and it always converted to 60hz.
    If I was doing something wrong with the intel I couldn't find any answers.
    Anyway my $40 nvidia 200 series passive cooled gfx card has certainly impressed me and it will take a lot of convincing to get me to try onboard again.

Last edited: Sep 23, 2013
  6. flu!d

flu!d Never perfect, always genuine

Don't try AMD then, I had a nightmare of a time getting black levels right with AMD.

I did experience issues with Intel, however when I updated drivers and made a custom resolution things just seemed to right themselves...

7. Sledge

Sledge Member

Maybe i'll do the same...except then i'll have to go to USB tuner i think...
    They support bistreaming etc?

so.. which one?
    1G GT210 MSI / GF210 Asus // 1G GT610 MSI/Gigabyte/Asus 32 / 32// 40 / 40 / 40

Last edited: Sep 24, 2013
  8. Fishface

Fishface Member

The 210 will not support HD audio.
    I'd suggest the Asus GT610 which is fanless.

9. Sledge

Sledge Member

Though i do have a spare HD4350 at home.. which would be better then?

10. Fishface

Fishface Member

You will need the 5000 series cards to do HD audio.

11. Sledge

Sledge Member

Yeah I ended up getting the GT610 on the way home anyway...

Bluray playback through TMT works, but I don't get any sound going to the AVR when I select passthrough... I have to downmix to DTS etc to get anything.. (can't remember if it worked before or not)

While playing videos through XBMC I gets a fair amount of tearing in the video.. how do I fix this? (this definitely didn't happen before)

Last edited: Sep 24, 2013