Why is HALO so great?

Discussion in 'Game Consoles' started by li21, Sep 16, 2007.

?

What are your thoughts on the HALO series of XBOX games

1. Played and LOVE them!!

106 vote(s)
    28.4%
  2. OK. Can't see what the fuss is either

176 vote(s)
    47.2%
  3. Never played them

38 vote(s)
    10.2%
  4. Didn't like them at all.

53 vote(s)
    14.2%
  1. li21

li21 Member

Hi all,

Halo 1,2 and now 3 seem to have some of the biggest hype and best reviews in a console game. I played Halo 1 for about 15 mins and seen people madly playing over Xbox live aswell

I finaly got a copy of Halo 2 on my old xbox to see what the hype was about..
    Ive put in a good 2 hours so far and I just cant see what its hailed as such a great series? To me its no more outstanding than any other FPS.
    (I'm currently loving BLACK tho theres no multiplayer. Best Single player FPS IMHO)

The visuals in Halo 2 are mediocre too. What am I missing?
    Definately not putting the game down tho. With the success its had, they must be doing something right. I jsut cant pick it.

2. SpeedRacer

SpeedRacer Member

I think its a case of being in the right place at the right time for a large portion of the game playing population.

Coming from the point of view of someone who was into halflife and halflife2 before looking at either of those games, there was absolutely nothing special about them to me.

But for a lot of console gamers this was probably the first taste of a decent fps game since goldeneye and as a result, gained a much larger following.

I've attempted to play both of them and neither had the instantly compelling storyline of the pc alternatives. I'm sure it gets more compelling if you commit the time into playing them but there was little incentive for me, there were better alternatives.

But as much as I like the half-life series I can appreciate others wont be interested in the same way.

3. KappA

KappA Member

I never really gave the halo series a chance. Yet i dont feel the need to go back and give them that chance. At the time of the halo movement on the original 360 i was a ps2 user and a keen pc fps player (hl1/2 + mods), so i never felt the need for another. I am now a fan of fps games on consoles but the halo boat has already sailed for me.

4. nimmers

nimmers Member

Betting I'll play Cod4 more that Halo 3.

5. claf-43

claf-43 Member

Guaranteed I'll play COD4 more then Halo 3

I didnt bother with the Halo 3 beta either....

The only thing that I like about the Halo games is the theme music. The rest seems cartoony and childish at best.

Gears of War for me has taken over as the new MS flagship title by a LONG way.

And I think the only reason Halo seems to get overrated so much is that it was the only good exclusive game on the XBOX early on. So xbox fanboys are gonna defend it alot.

Last edited: Sep 16, 2007
  6. OP
    OP
    li21

li21 Member

I guess it is all about timing and exclusivity to xbox. But even at that, I think there are better FPS's on XBOX/XBOX 360.
    Blowing up aliends that make funny noises isnt my sort of game. PRefer something like a combat FPS.

7. QuakeDude

QuakeDude ooooh weeee ooooh

Agreed, Black is a damn fine FPS, quite possibly one of the best on the xbox, but for me, Halo runs rings around it from a complete story point of view. The FPS portion of it isn't anywhere near as polished as Black, but what it does do is balance out the story and FPS components well.

Having said that, if the Halo story line doesn't grab you, then I can appreciate why people don't see any worth in the series. I guess its a little like Star Wars - if you love the story, then the movies are great, otherwise they're fairly average Sci-Fi's in comparrison to some of the other movies out there :)

Last edited: Sep 17, 2007
  8. Oppressa

Oppressa Member

It was a well timed release and, like Halo 1, is awesome with some X-Boxes linked together for some big-screen split-screen action. Nothing beats a Halo party :D

9. metamorphosis

metamorphosis Member

10. yume

yume Member

Its the Story that really draws me in, I admit that I don't play the game much, but I've read the books/comics and played the game for the story line. Waiting for contact harvest to come out.

Halo 2 is really fun in multiplayer though, was hard to pick up at first playing with a control but you get use to it.

Plus all the fan stuff is really good: ie. red vs blue

11. TOX

TOX Member

Yeah me too, I will grab Halo 3 simply because I feel I have too but I played about 20mins of the Halo 3 Beta, I have played about 6hrs of the COD4 one so far

I'm not a big fan of futarstic weapons and shit

12. Deeman

Deeman Vagrant.

Quite simply, it's the storyline and Bungie's attention to detail.

Halo is far greater than the sum of it's part suggest it should be, and if you don't care for the storyline, then it's probably just another FPS, and not a particularly brilliant one.

The graphics aren't super-fantastic (but the detail is amazing, zoom in using the sniper scope in Halo2 on the rocket launcher, and you can read the usage instructions on the side)

The NPC dialog is brilliant (from both the Marines & the enemy), and the energy sword in Halo2 is the most satisfying weapon i've ever used in a single-player FPS. The graphics are serviceable (but hardly ground breaking), and the musical score is as epic and powerful as you'll find in any game.

Mainly though, it's the storyline. It's arguably the most detailed storyline in an FPS to date. It's not for everyone, and you need to be paying attention to get it (it's not spelled out like an episode of CSI, you need to really think about it), but the storyline is absolutely incredible.

The best part is, that the depth is there that when you do think about it, it all actually falls into place, and gets better the more you follow it, rather than running into a dead end like most other storylines do. You can't get 4 books out of Half-Life's backstory, for example.

I've been gaming on the PC since Wolfenstein 3D, and totally agree that FPS's are usually rubbish on consoles (Goldeneye was rubbish, don't believe the hype), but Halo is absolutely the one great exception in my book. I'll be buying a 360 specifically for Halo 3 single player.

Halo isn't a standout from any single point of view (storyline excepted, perhaps), but as a package, I can't think of any game that meshes everything together so well.

Couldn't care less about multiplayer, which seems to be the big draw for most people (there's two sets of Halo fans, those in love with the Halo universe as a story, and the 12 year olds who like screaming like bitches over xbox live), but that has absolutely nothing to do with my affection for Halo, and you shouldn't assume that everyone falls into both categories, or consider them as one.

As a lifelong PC FPS gamer, it pains me, but Halo is absolutely my favourite single-player FPS ever. Online? Not a chance, but single-player, nothing (to me) comes close.

If you want to see the kind of work that goes into something a simple as the naming convention of a weapon, or even the kinds of weapons that make it into a Halo game, it's worth checking out this link. Nothing in Halo (except the concessions made to meet deadlines, like Halo2's ending and the library level from Halo 1) is merely cobbled together, or added in without serious thought...

http://www.bungie.net/News/content.aspx?type=topnews&cid=12753

Last edited: Sep 17, 2007
  13. UB3R

UB3R Member

marketing...

14. metamorphosis

metamorphosis Member

You're a space-trooper. You've got a gun. You're gonna blast some aliens, who are semi-comedic and run around like little retards at a fieldday. There's some big guys. A race of aliens created a weapon- which happens to be biological/biomechanical. Oh, and this holographic chick keeps popping up. What's not to love. Oh that's right - it's basically just "Aliens" combined with "Unreal 1". Yup.
    m@

15. QuakeDude

QuakeDude ooooh weeee ooooh

..and they've managed to take that age old formula and yet somehow turn it into something entertaining and enthrawling. The fact that many people find it a great story seems to imply that they did a damn fine job at it, much better than most of the other FPS's that have had a crack at it...if indeed its as common a concept as you've implied.

16. stuffisgood

stuffisgood Member

Yeah and Aliens is just some alien killing people on a space station if you take away the storyline, and Unreal 1 is just a stroll on an alien planet. I think you missed the bit where Deeman said "greater than the sum of its parts".

17. AthlonMan

AthlonMan (Banned or Deleted)

Right time, right place I guess.

Halo One was nice. Xbox was new and needed a game to show off the graphical abilities. Halo was there with guns, large envinronments and awesome sound. It was the best FPS since golden eye, except with more challenging AI and larger environments. I loved it.
    Halo 2 was pretty average. I think the devs tried too hard. You can see the Xbox struggling with textures and the storyline was just way too complicated for a console shooter.

18. Skinner

Skinner Member

I've never really liked the Single Player. Just another B-Grade alien story line with incredibly non-threatening enemies (Grunts? Elites? How can anyone take them seriously). For me, it's all about the Multiplayer. Something about Halo's multiplayer is incredibly addictive. It's just so smooth and balanced, and it's made right for a console. Playing Halo 1 on LAN with mates was some of the best fun i've ever had playing a video game.

19. Deeman

Deeman Vagrant.

You can reduce any game or any book or any piece of fiction for the last two thousand years to that kind of formula if you so choose - from Shakespeare through to to any film you wish.

If your first paragraph was all you took out of Halo's storyline, then you weren't paying attention.

The problem is, the example you gave is where most games stop - Halo doesn't. It expands and extends all of those things, and gives them a backstory worthy of a novel (and has spawned multiple such books).

20. joecool55

joecool55 Member

Nail. --> Head.