Why is steam so expensive?

Discussion in 'PC Games' started by tfroggydawg, Nov 20, 2008.

1. tfroggydawg

tfroggydawg Member

You would think that having to use bandwidth which you pay for and not having a booklet or a dvd you would pay less for a game.

Yet a quick look on steam shows the exact opposite for many games.

Call of Duty 5 World at War
    $59.99 USD = $95.5207 AUD (The game was $68 at Bigw/Kmart on release)

Call of Duty 4
    $59.99 USD = $95.5207 AUD (A lot less than $95 at retail lol)

Fallout 3
    $69.99 USD = $111.393 AUD (The game is what $79 at most stores)

Farcry 2
    $54.99 USD = $87.6504 AUD (The game is what $79 at most stores)

Are people buying this crap???

Yes I know HL1 is cheap at the moment :)

Last edited: Nov 20, 2008
  2. ed3r

ed3r Member

Rates have changed, when the dollar was strong steam was the cheap alternative. boohoo

3. gaspah

gaspah Member

yeah thats strange, steam was cheaper until a while ago...

just like hardware, the E1200 was like $50 a few weeks ago, now they're $80.. thats like 60% increase.. im pretty sure the AUD didnt drop that far... ridiculous..

4. Dodoman

Dodoman Member

Activision has not given proper Australian distribution rights for steam, hence the expensive CoDs. It was cheap for the first week of release (CoD4), then Activision made them up the price.
    Fallout 3 and Farcry 2 I dunno. Same reason perhaps.

5. prezident doom

prezident doom Member

Yeah that will be 3/4 of the problem atm.

6. OP
    OP
    tfroggydawg

tfroggydawg Member

Exchange rates have been 65-75 for a lot longer and more often than 90+

Why would steam pricing be based off exchange rates that were only around for what 12 months? a couple of years?

7. yoda123

yoda123 Member

Um it's not based off any exchange rates.

It's a US product and as such the pricing is in US currency.

When the AUS dollar fell, they didn't up the pricing or anything.

8. yucatan

yucatan Member

Even in the US it is consistently $5 more expensive than retail. Somehow people justify this charge as being for 'convenience'. While it's true that it is more convenient than driving to the shops if you dont have a download quota, it's also far cheaper and easier for them to deal with additional sales.

9. Cornflake

Cornflake Member

I remember when CoD4 came out it was cheap on Steam and some company complained (Activision?) so they altered prices after that for AU.

10. B4TM4N

B4TM4N Member

I would think you find that steam was the best and cheapest alternative for buying games, its only till now thats its expensive in Australian dollar because of the rates.

Stop complaining

11. SLATYE

SLATYE SLATYE, not SLAYTE

It did. Not long ago the $AU was around the 98c mark; now it's around 62c.

At 98c, a Celeron E1200 ($50 AU) would have cost $49 US. At 62c, the same CPU (at $49 US) would cost $79 AU. This is almost exactly what we've seen with CPU prices. No doubt game prices are similar.

12. groovinator

groovinator Member

i enjoyed buying steam games when the aussie dollar was strong :D but now, it's just back to the old school ways of going shopping. not really a problem for me, just use it when it works to your advantage.

13. Untaag

Untaag Member

Valve doesn't have any control over the price of games on their distribution service (other than their own of course), which are set by EA in the end no doubt. I assume the publishers are cutting in valve for whatever the usual middlemen take (although it'd probably considerably less).

14. Assasinator_2

Assasinator_2 (Banned or Deleted)

I can deal with that exchange rate bullshit.

It's the fact that Fallout 3 is actually only USD$50 if you connect from America, that is the big bullshit part.

15. trickma

trickma Member

That's what we get for making the world censor it :p

16. booksacool1

booksacool1 Member

I too struggle to understand why anyone would by a current/new game from steam. They obviously have a separate pricing scheme for the australian market (as evident with the large change in fallout 3's price), so WHY can't they keep the price in line with the value of our currency?

I think they don't want to be taken seriously. The australian consumer has some money to spend, but certainly not $111 on fallout 3, ESPECIALLY not when I can locally buy the boxed game for $80.

Seems like valve is run by a bunch of monkeys. Pity, because they make some good games.

17. FLB

FLB Member

I rememeber getting orange box for $55 when the exchange rate was at its best for along while, when it was $90 at most places here in Adelaide. Good Times, don't happen often for us Aussie gamers.

18. gobbledegook

gobbledegook Member

My guess is that they don't want to upset the distributors/retailers by undercutting them. As a retailer, why would you stock a product that can be purchased cheaper direct from the developer?

Some people will always prefer the boxed product but if you upset the retailer they will simply sell somebody else's product.

19. gaspah

gaspah Member

yeah just like all software, america has their own set USA price then an international price... and they wonder why there is so much piracy abroad.. maybe i should only pay for australian developed games from now on...

20. haza

haza Member

It would be great if Games on steam were significantly cheaper. I'm talking half the cost of retail here.

I don't see any reason why they can't do it...No packaging costs, no distributions costs, no retailers taking their own cut. Almost zero costs really.

They should be able to make the same (or nearly same) profit as selling via retail, even if they did sell for half price.

Such a move will be likely to reduce piracy also (lower cost, more convenience = less reason to pirate)

Even Valve over price their stuff. Why would I buy L4D for $50 USD from Steam when I can buy it for $57 AUD from cdwow (with free shipping!).