Why is there a strange tsclient showing up in my network places?

Discussion in 'Networking, Telephony & Internet' started by -Sk3tChY-, May 3, 2010.

1. -Sk3tChY-

-Sk3tChY- Member

Well as you can see, it appears to be coming up as another host on the network:

[​IMG]

I did a little research and it turns out tsclient is basically a linux equivalent to windows rdp client.

That being said - I don't have any of my PC's on the nework running Linux, nor have I ever used tsclient myself personally.

Is there any explanation as to why this might be coming up?

My initial suspicion is that perhaps some fruit cake is trying to rdp into my network or something?

I do have remote access enabled on all my machines and have port 3389 forwarded on my router.

2. Rezin

Rezin Member

Code:
    netstat -a | find ":3389"
    Anything returned by that (from a command prompt)? How many PCs on your network? Which PC is 3389 forwarded from the modem to? I've never seen tsclient to show up outside of an RDP session.

3. OP
    OP
    -Sk3tChY-

-Sk3tChY- Member

C:\Windows\system32>netstat -a | find ":3389"
    TCP 0.0.0.0:3389 cosmo:0 LISTENING
    TCP [::]:3389 cosmo:0 LISTENING

I've basically got 3 machines on the network running:

XP Pro SP3
    Win7 Pro 64bit
    Win7 Starter 32bit

I have port 3389 forwarded to my XP Pro SP3 machine, and this strange tsclient has popped up on my Win7 Pro machine.. :confused:

I'm gonna reboot the PC and see if it remains there, it's been stuck in there a few days now, I haven't restarted tho.

EDIT: I did a reboot and it doesn't seem to appear there any more, but I'm still a little curious as to why/how it got there in the first place. Especially given I'm not running any Linux boxes on my networks.

Last edited: May 3, 2010
  4. Primüs

Primüs Member

Alright, for starters, tsclient although a name to a Linux RDP client, is also referenced in the Windows RDP application.

When you connect to a machine via RDP, say me on my laptop 'primus-laptop' to my PC 'primus-pc', and i have shared resources turned on like hard disks, when in the remote desktop connection on my primus-pc, i can use \\tsclient as a name to access the computer im remoting from in this case 'primus-laptop'.

This wouldnt usually be a big use to those who RDP in the same network, but it is exceptionally handy for when say remoting to a public server, where normal windows file sharing isnt available.

Well thats the sharing side of RDP anyways tsclient is also used for more im pretty sure but that will put it into prospective for you. I'm guessing you remote desktopped to your win7 machine at one point, and it just added tsclient in the list as part of its auto-discovery thing.

5. OP
    OP
    -Sk3tChY-

-Sk3tChY- Member

Ahhh ok, that makes sense, cheers primus. :)