Why no Telstra NBN 100

Discussion in 'Networking, Telephony & Internet' started by burrows, Jul 19, 2019.

1. burrows

burrows Member

I am just wondering why Telstra only offer NBN 50 and not 100.

2. guy.incogneto

guy.incogneto Member

If your house can't reach speeds above 50mbps, maybe they won't offer it to you.

For example if your area uses fibre to the node and your house is far away from the node.

supasaiyan likes this.
  3. Quadbox

Quadbox Member

Because they sell it as an add-on. See "speed boost" after you've selected plan.

And then question why on earth you'd want to go with telstra for NBN

darknebula and JSmithDTV like this.
  4. JSmithDTV

JSmithDTV Member

5. OP
    OP
    burrows

burrows Member

Thanks for your help guys.

JSmithDTV likes this.
  6. mmBax

mmBax Member

Give them a bit of stick in online chat and they'll probably offer it for free.

I'm on 100/unlimited plan at the moment for 90 a month.

7. OP
    OP
    burrows

burrows Member

Because no other service provider except for Optus have priority assist. I have some disability's so i need the service.

8. OP
    OP
    burrows

burrows Member

I gave them some stick today. However they still refused to put in the NBN 100 for free until i told her that i could get it a lot cheaper from AAB. LOL soon as i mention that i got it for free for 12 months.

Alby1976 likes this.
  9. OP
    OP
    burrows

burrows Member

LOL Telstra are trying to be tight arses. Telstra rang me and said they wont provide me with a modem as my modem is compatible with the NBN. The modem i have is the TG97 i had this for 2 years and i said i had purchased this modem outright as my old modem died on me. So i told them since they wernt going to provide me with the new modem i wanted a credit for this modem. They said i would have to talk to billing to get a credit. I talked to billing and they said they couldn't do a credit but they said they would send me out the new modem.

They also said a technician will be out to connect it. Is this someone from Telstra or NBNCO?

Last edited: Jul 25, 2019
  10. @sia@home

@sia@home Member

Same deal here. Do you actually get 80-90 megabits over the weekend and during the evenings. I'm getting speed test results between 16 and 65 most of the time outside of working hours

11. Copie

Copie Member

Why go with telstra? you are fucking stupid if you want to stay with them especially on NBN

12. rireland

rireland Member

Went though jb hifi when they had an offer on. Casual plan, modem with 4g backup, cordless phone, ttv2 x2, unlimited 100/40 for $90/m. Initial connection was 50mbit until they were happy the line was capable of 100. Quite happy with my connection speed and the price.

13. Sphinx2000

Sphinx2000 Member

Priority assist for what? Service? like the examples your receiving so far?
    Nearly all the other big players have better service and install/response times than Telstra residential NBN.
    Telstra have outsourced everything too much, calls are always a middle-man affair with apologies and blame shifting, but nothing gets done in a "priority" manner.

Last edited: Jul 27, 2019
  14. cevad

cevad Member

15. Sphinx2000

Sphinx2000 Member

Im sure many other major ISPs will offer the same "priority service" for disabled or medical people if discussed with them, but my point was that other regular service would be better than Telstra's "priority service".
    They are already giving the OP the run around and cheapening out, etc.

16. Copie

Copie Member

And being telstra they will still transfer you around to 3 different departments before you find someone competant enough to read and understand the issue.

JSmithDTV likes this.
  17. caspian

caspian Member

Telstra is the only provider required to offer PA as it's part of their carrier licence - legacy of being the largely exclusive landline network operator. look forward to them ceasing PA as well once they have divested themselves of their landline network. they'll be in front of ACMA the next morning to have their licence amended.

absolutely nobody in the industry wants anything to do with PA, it's a significant additional cost and a considerable potential liability with zero upside. operators are quite happy to let a PA customer go as being a customer they don't want, which is why nobody that isn't compelled to offer it does. https://www.crn.com.au/news/tpg-aus...rned-over-priority-assistance-services-524741

ACMA will probably have to look at options like compelling every operator to offer it on request, or subsidizing the cost of continuing to require Telstra to offer it - which probably means something like charging the operators that don't want to a fee for someone else to make it available.

what run around? as far as I can see, it's a normal connection process so far.

what cheapening out? a credit for a free modem he's not paying for? no worries sir, here's your cheque for $0.00 - that's 100% of the fee you haven't paid.

iMomOx3 likes this.
  18. JSmithDTV

JSmithDTV Member

How does assisting disabled and people with serious medical conditions have no upside? o_O

Could even be a marketing differentiation point for the Company.

JSmith

19. ir0nhide

ir0nhide Member

No one except those who need it care and they are in a small minority. Shareholders and the general public don't give a shit unfortunately.

20. TheWedgie

TheWedgie Insert Custom Title Here

Zero commercial upside.
    Corporate Social Responsibility is a management buzzword that consultants use to justify and extend their contracts.