Why some motherboard have 2.5G LAN and Intel LAN?

Discussion in 'Newbie Lounge' started by JaCe88, Aug 22, 2019.

1. JaCe88

JaCe88 Member

I bought the MSI X570 MEG ACE and noticed quite a few motherboards have two LAN ports. One is labelled 2.5G and the other is Intel gigabit ethernet (at least on my board) and I couldn't quite figure out why it has two, and which one I should choose given I only have gigabit ethernet anyway (i.e. it's not the newer one).

Any thoughts/advice?

I have my network switch near my PC with a few empty slots so I could plug both cables in, but I fail to see how that would achieve anything.

2. theSeekerr

theSeekerr Member

Dual LAN is a common feature on high end boards. If you don't know what it's for, you don't need to care.

One is 2.5G and one gigabit because 2.5G ports are expensive. They wanted to include one as a point of differentiation on their high-end board, but including two would be excessively costly. Conversely, they couldn't only include one because that's a $590 motherboard and Dual LAN is expected at that price point.

3. OP
    OP
    JaCe88

JaCe88 Member

Whilst 2.5 sounds like the obvious choice here, which port should I be plugging into? I sense Intel is the superior one even though it’s not as fast?

4. Aetherone

Aetherone Member

It'll not make a lick of difference unless you have a 2.5gbps switch to plug the other end into. The Intel is a fairly safe bet that it'll flood the interface without pegging a CPU for interrupts. I think we're past the years of NIC chipset having a Windows measurable effect on latency.

JaCe88 likes this.
  5. power

power Member

just use the Intel, you won't notice the diff and the Intel will be solid.

6. HobartTas

HobartTas Member

With the Intel one you will have drivers for it whatever other OS you might install, Realtek is not far behind in that regard either but on the other hand if it was a Killer network port then it's Windows only and if say you installed Linux you would be SOL as they make drivers for Windows only and nothing else.

7. dimension11

dimension11 Member

In some countries that have 1 or 2GBps internet, having a 2.5G port allows you theoretically to take full advantage of the internet speed. However in Australia where the max is 0.1GBps, it doesn't make any difference from that point of view.
    The other thing may be to copy files more quickly, but you'd need an entire pipeline that can support the speed (from the HDD to the controller to the switch to the other end's NIC/HDD), so practically it probably won't make too much of a difference and 2.5G is more a marketing gimmick for the home settin.

8. OP
    OP
    JaCe88

JaCe88 Member

Fair point, I totally forgot about other countries having faster internet than us! Can't believe it's like $60 p/m for unlimited gigabit internet in Singapore... (although the internet is somewhat filtered)

9. Pugs

Pugs Member

It is for your Local Area Network not your actual internet connection... if you have other 2.5G devices and a switch that is compatible with the new standard it will work...

10. dimension11

dimension11 Member

To be fair, in Singapore or South Korea where there are potentially a thousand literally households per apartment block, it does make more sense to run fibre to the buildings and overall it allows for lower cost and higher profitability which allows development of higher speeds etc etc.