Why you shouldn't copy a windows instalation directly to an SSD!

Discussion in 'Storage & Backup' started by balckjok3r, Jan 15, 2013.

1. balckjok3r

balckjok3r (Banned or Deleted)

Got an SSD. Spent most of yesterday with no luck trying to image my boot drive to it. Although the image itself works all fine. Just used gParted copy and past and set flag to boot. Start partition at 1024MB.

Then when I tried to boot all hell breaks loose. It thinks everything is on drive C, but the SSD isn't C drive. Your old windows install is. I got it working but I was confused why it was still slow as hell. Went to delete the old partition in Disk Management. Bam... Everything crashes. Cant open a thing. Even opening CMD prompt to use diskpart does not work. Even if you point it to D drive where diskpart is located. So good thing I find out why the SSD made no diffrence. It was still loading everything off the C drive on my HDD. :lol:

Lucky I got into safe mode where I was able to change the drive letter in the registry. Thanks god I know how to use Google and I have an android phone.

2. rainwulf

rainwulf Member

Getting an SSD is an ideal excuse to reinstall windows.

3. roger895

roger895 Member

Because searching on an iPhone wouldnt work... :rolleyes:

4. noober69

noober69 Member

there are some good guides online for swapping to a ssd. I did it without too much drama, mainly the disc alignment was an issue.

You know you can easily re-assign disc letters in disc management? No need for registry. Just rename original hdd from C to something like N, then rename SSD from D to C. Reboot, no dramas.
    Use ATTO disc tool to determine whether the ssd is aligned properly.

5. SLIMaxPower

SLIMaxPower Member

My last 3 ssd's included software that did just that, though only did it on my HTPC.

6. OP
    OP
    balckjok3r

Couldn't do it in disc management because as soon as I changed C drive to anything else it crashed and couldn't find all the files. I used a guide but they failed to explain anything about the drive letters. I would have assumed that windows would think the drive it loads off is always C. But this is not the case.

I only reinstalled windows last year when I got this PC. Not really worth doing it again. I've pretty much only installed D3 on it since then. Maybe a few other games off torrents to try out. But I've never played them much.

By android phone I mean a Galaxy Y. It was only $100. When my Galaxy S2 broke I got it. Ive never used the Internet on it before because its too slow and the screen is too small. And its useless at texting because the screen is too small for the keyboard. As soon as I got it I was like, fuck should of got a $40 nokia. But now I'm glad I got this one.

Last edited: Jan 15, 2013
  7. noobmastery

noobmastery Member

You can't change the drive letter for the windows drive you're currently booting off.

I did this a while ago, the windows image backup/restore tool worked a treat, you just need an external to store the image on. It resizes the partitions and everything.

8. boogerthe2nd

boogerthe2nd Member

Sounds like you didn't edit your bcd after imaging to the ssd. Should've either used bcdedit or a program like VistaBootPro or Easy BCD.

9. noober69

noober69 Member

Oops forgot what I did, I know I changed some drive letters and didn't have the OP's problems, so must have done something else.

Look at this post, as it is what I did.
    http://forums.overclockers.com.au/showthread.php?t=1043150

10. OP
    OP
    balckjok3r

Yeah.. I have that boot problem as well. Not 50% of the time though maybe 30%. Damn asrock motherboards they are POS's!

11. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

Only reason I was forced to do a fresh install last time around, otherwise I would have used an image for the ssd.

12. BlueSteel

BlueSteel Member

I migrated my Windows 7 installation from a 1TB hard drive to a 512GB SSD recently. I used some partitioning software that also did the aligning process as well (after cloning).
    I was skeptical a free (for home use) partitioning product would let me shrink the main partition on my (1TB) hard drive down to 400GB, then clone the now 400GB partition to the 512GB SSD and afterwards align it, but I was happy to be proven wrong. Very happy with the performance now.

I did make backups of documents first, so had nothing to lose.

I can find out the name of the software when I get home, if anyone's interested?

13. Forgiven

Forgiven Member

Sure interested here... Planning of getting a SSD

14. RyoSaeba

RyoSaeba Member

I just recovered a back up image from acronis to an intel SSD and the whole thing booted up sweet. No issues. No alignment issues either. Intel has their own version of acronis that will do the same thing. But I have a later version so the intel version wasn't required. And here's an easier way to check SSD alignment.
    http://whirlpool.net.au/wiki/checking_ssd_alignment

15. OP
    OP
    balckjok3r

Turns out nearly all the problems I'm having with my SSD after I got it working properly were the cable connector. Somehow the plastic part has separated from the drive and is stuck in the plug. :sick: I bent the plug upwards until I heard a click. Thought I broke it pretty bad but now it booting and has 400MB/s read speeds in AS SSD benchmark. YAY. Just can never touch it ever and it should be fine. :Paranoid: