Wifi Mesh - New home build

Discussion in 'Networking, Telephony & Internet' started by ~kraven, Apr 15, 2019.

1. sTeeLzor

sTeeLzor Member

Yes. Network streamed audio in this day and age. You talk about incoming new technology yet cant embrace wireless for literally some of the lowest bandwidth uses you can find.

Old man shaking his fist at the sky. Hell, I even run my main TV viewing and console gaming via wireless at the moment because it was too hard to run a network cable there. I have literally not had a problem in there in over 2 years. Would I choose to do that for media consumption, file serving or gaming? Not really. Every other use case can go wireless

Last edited: May 13, 2019
  2. bcann

bcann Member

I'm about to go through this, and i'll damn well make sure its in the contract (And i have already) that i can get my own data cabler onsite, as well as AC guy onsite to do the work during construction. Otherwise i wouldn't sign the contract.

3. Gunna

Gunna Member

Yeah I wish I had the foresight to do this. 1st build and so much to think about - it's easily missed

4. bcann

bcann Member

sounds like you also got a dick builder

5. Zee

Zee Member

I think we'll just agree to disagree - Sonos generally works better with at least one of the units hard wired (some funcitons are actually not available with wireless only), and the rest running off the Sonos wireless mesh.

As for the rest, I'll stick with hard wired for stuff that sits still, and wireless for stuff that moves around.

Z...

bcann and darknebula like this.
  6. Zee

Zee Member

Yeah, nasty pricks, all I can say. I may, or may not have snuck on to a site or 20 on the request of the owner...

Z...

7. TRG.dOinK

TRG.dOinK Member

No builder will agree to it as far as I'm aware, however once you start, speak with your SS and generally keep it quite / don't break anything and everyone's happy :)

8. bcann

bcann Member

We had it written into the building contract with gj gardner. I flat out told them, either its written into the contract or there is no contract and no sale.

Personally, if i'm spending 300+k on a building and the builder won't let me do a few custom things, i'd be using a different builder.

9. Bradzac

Bradzac Member

Anywhere you want to stream media, put an ethernet port. The more ethernet you can prewire the better. I ran extra's to the cinema room and I'm glad I did, because of all the hardware that ended up in there.
    Don't bother with mesh, go proper AP's. Ubiquiti hardware is fantastic.
    Add more AP's than you think you need. We've got a ~450m2 house, had 1 AP upstairs and 1 AP downstairs, both roof mounted. Wifi worked fine, but I was running them at medium and high transmit power to get full coverage of the house. This meant sometimes I'd be upstairs connecting to downstairs AP, and vice versa. I added a 3rd AP in the office just sitting on top of the data rack and dropped the transmit power to low for the downstairs AP's, this meant I'm always connected to the closest AP no matter where I am in the house, which makes for a better experience. If I was to do it again I'd have 4, one at each end of the house on each floor.

Not sure if you're looking at security cameras, but I also put in 8 Hikvision 4k POE cameras, our data cablers ran the cable for us for these at the same time they did the rest of the house. It's just cat6.

If you want to wire up the house after handover, you can also add in conduit internal to the frames during the build. drill through the noggins, run it up to the roof, to make wiring at a later date much easier. I'd definitely recommend this. 40mm if you want to run to run AV stuff (e.g. to hide hdmi cables, power etc for wall mounted tv's)

10. Zee

Zee Member

Agree with all this. I've flat out had arguments with builders, electricians and owners, all at once, at the site meeting, when I told them my data cabling specs. They all told me I was wasting cable.

Imagine how satisfying it was to have the builder walk up to me 3 days before handover, begging me to use 2 of my "waste" cables because the electrician fucked up...

On a side note, if you're going to go Ubiquiti for wifi, they have a reasonable range of cameras, and seeing as the Cloudkey V2 is also a controller/NVR, it's probably a good option all 'round. They have a 4k camera now, though I've got a Flex 3 (1080P) set up in my coffee shop in the Philippines, and I can read the temp on the coffee machine.

Z...

11. TRG.dOinK

TRG.dOinK Member

Agree but no way was our builder going to do that for us. I just had to kindly ask my SS and keep quiet. Maybe GJ Gardiner was more flexible, dono... but I know our builders price was something dumb like $110 per cable....
    Pretty sure I went overkill and ran like 24 or so cables, still haven't hooked any up though (haven't moved in and need to find my notes where I put them) and some were for POE cameras... boy I hope i left a bit of extra length and put them in the right spots...

I'm prob going to use...

- Ubiquity AP or two (nfi about mesh, basically they sound like wireless extenders...?)
    - Ubiquity G3 Cameras / Cloud-Key-Gen2 Plus / UniFi Protect or Swan / Hikvision

GL with the build, get a private building inspector as well.

~kraven likes this.
  12. darknebula

darknebula Member

My 2c.. For a house of that size I would be paying a professional to look at your plans and advise on the number of AP's and where to put them with the emphasis being on 5g coverage. My floor size is about half yours and I run 2 for coverage (100Mbit in all rooms)

13. bcann

bcann Member

Yeah i think were up to 22 cables, i always put extra cables into important areas (IE Home Theatre Room) because i know i could use wireless, but i prefer cable for things that are fixed in location (IE TV/Amp/Xbox), we are going for at least 2 WAP's (ubiquiti AC Pro's, but might upgrade to the new AX standard), and are prewiring for a few things (Behind Fridge, Garage door opener)

Will definitely get a private inspector, because i have an x-files Trust no-one approach, and we are also going on my 40th birthday holiday for 3 weeks during the early part of the build. Just wish the bank would hurry the fuck up.

14. sTeeLzor

sTeeLzor Member

The over-engineering and waste is real. I am a tech head. I have my own server. I have special theatre room equipment, multiple xboxs. I am also an engineer and not wasteful.

I have the following rules:
    • Hardwire the main Media/File Viewing/Serving Devices.
    • Always run 2 for redundancy
    • Don't connect every gadget just because it has a LAN port. See if its actually used for anything.
    Thats it.

• I hardwired 2 runs each to my Study, my Theatre, my TV1, my TV2, my Kids Activity which all run to my Garage where my NBN modem is.
    • An Access Point for upstairs (which is an Asus router anyway) will be in my Study.
    • I did not hookup the 5 different things I could in my Theatre. Just the Xbox One S.
    • I did not hook up the 3 different things I could in TV1/TV2. Just the Xbox One X and Xbox.

Last edited: May 15, 2019
  15. Bradzac

Bradzac Member

Weird that you go on about not being wasteful and over engineering but in the next sentence say you run redundant cables everywhere for a residential build, when redundancy is the very definition of overengineering for fault tolerance.

16. sTeeLzor

sTeeLzor Member

I work as an Electrical Engineer doing installs, repairs and retrofits. Its never a waste to have a spare core because systems fail and its far easier to swap to a different core than rip out and re-run wire. As with any redundancy, there is diminishing returns. It is a balance between the two.

Underdoing the design is worse than overdoing it. At least overdoing it, you just lose money for nothing. Underdoing it, you lose functionality.

I also dont run cable everywhere. I skipped the bedrooms (other than MBR) and laundry/kitchen/dining.

17. sTeeLzor

sTeeLzor Member

Its not actually. Redundancy has a purpose. That's not over-engineering. That is by design.
    When you connect your fridge or your AVR or your TV if you have a proper media device, then you are paying for nothing.

18. s4mmy

s4mmy Member

You don’t have Ethernet in your Laundry?!?!?

19. Holdenkicks

Holdenkicks Member

STellzor, the difference between you as a self-confessed tech head and the majority of people is that you understand how to control your gear without any extra layers of automation. For people who want to automate things via Control4 or even Alexa, IP control is a necessity and it is flakey as shit over wifi - so Zee does have the best advice here. Hardwiring anything that doesn't move is the way to go. If your devices work fine off wifi and you won't be needing to integrate them to automation, Alexa etc then wifi is fine. Otherwise, I also recommend running cat 6 for everything and keeping wifi for tablets, phones and laptops.

20. sTeeLzor

sTeeLzor Member

I don't find modern day wifi to be flaky at all. Its a hold-over attitude from the days of early WiFi imo.