Wifi Mesh - New home build

Discussion in 'Networking, Telephony & Internet' started by ~kraven, Apr 15, 2019.

1. gdjacobs

gdjacobs Member

These handy little devices called network switches have been invented to solve just this problem.

sTeeLzor likes this.
  2. bcann

bcann Member

Thats called pisspoor planning. I hate businesses that have the proverbial network switch hidden under the table, that has long been forgotten about and one day dies and you spend forever trying to find it.

Yes i know this is peoples personal homes were talking about, but to me that is equally as poor.

3. sTeeLzor

sTeeLzor Member

Or changing needs (or non needs as I see it) and having a solution. Its either a switch at the local side or a switch at the remote side? So who cares.

4. bcann

bcann Member

The people who have to look after it once that switch in some office cubicle is forgotten about until it dies/gets kicked/unplugged/etc, i'd rather have it in a cabinet in a central location so it can have clean power, and be known, then behind some dingy desk/tv cabinet.

5. gdjacobs

gdjacobs Member

You have dirty power in your entertainment center?

Using a network switch is an appropriate solution in this case. Running the better part of a dozen lines of cat5e to a single point is pure stubbornness where you could have one more device racked in your entertainment center taking care of fan out to your downstream devices. If bandwidth is a problem, switches with 10gbe trunks are at the point of affordability.

One disadvantage is the loss of some control features, but this is more of an issue in a business setting.

Gunna likes this.
  6. Gunna

Gunna Member

I'n not sure what peoples aversion to using a switch in a residential scenario is. It's not like you have to worry about a dozen employees running switches near their feet, it's your house. if you cannot track and manage a switch or 2 in an area that has seen a requirement for more ports then you have bigger issues.

7. callan

callan Member

Running a single line to a little 4/8port switch is preferable to running 4+ cables from the wall. AV network requirements are trivially met by even a 100mbit link, so I don't think a light-duty 8 or even 4port switch hidden somewhere in the A/V cabinet is a problem at all. they use a poofteenth of fuck all power so cooling/venting is not a problem. They even reduce wiring, as cables can be a lot shorter. Better 4 short cables and 1 long one than 4 long cables, methinks.

Callan

Last edited: May 20, 2019
    sTeeLzor likes this.