Wifi network design for rental

Discussion in 'Networking, Telephony & Internet' started by Azrael, May 14, 2019.

1. Azrael

Azrael Member

Given our router has started glitching out, and NBN has been delayed... again... i figure its time to start designing a new network layout that will work well in this rental, but also flexible for future places and NBN.

Currently everything is running off a TP Link Archer C9, with the 5ghz band dedicated to AC, and the 2.4ghz serving N and G. The TPLink now regularly needs a reboot as it stops serving the 2.4ghz network, and sometimes stops routing entirely.

DNS is currently handled by a PiHole instance on our NAS.

Ideally i would like a few different networks.
    The first a 'public' N network for the home automation stuff (Xiaomi) and visitors.
    The second a 5ghz home network for all other devices, running at both N and AC.
    The third a 2.4ghz legacy network for a few test devices that are still N or G locked, such as our MFC printer.

Plus i would like some way of being able to easily reconfigure for NBN when we finally get it, and have robust QoS metrics for traffic.

Finally, i need to get wifi extended through several brick walls to the garage which houses devices that often have poor antennas (Raspberry Pis etc).

I know that many wifi routers will happily do all of this together, but given the failure rate of domestic hardware (this C9 is barely 3 years old), im keen to do it via discrete functional hardware.

Im thinking starting off with a PfSense machine hardwired to an older Draytek Vigor 120 that from memory goes into bridge mode. For non-public wifi Ill start with a single Ubiquiti AC Pro and see how that goes. But planning on adding an AC Lite for extra coverage via mesh to the garage. I think i can backbone off AC there and just serve N to the garage, given the limited devices there. Public wifi will probably be handled by a USB wifi card off the PfSense router. I may also shift the PiHole over to the PfSense machine, depending on overheads.

Does this sound plausible, or am I better off just going and getting a commercial router again and running some aftermarket firmware like Tomato or similar?

2. theSeekerr

theSeekerr Member

Sounds plausible, but I'd want to have a good reason in mind to bother maintaining a pfSense box rather than just grabbing an EdgeRouter Lite / EdgeRouter 4. You'll easily outperform any "prosumer" router...once you've done it properly you'll never go back.

3. OP
    OP
    Azrael

Azrael Member

No good reason found.
    Mainly that i wasnt aware of the EdgeRouter series. When i did more networking stuff it was always with pfSense as the best of the prosumer side of the equation.

This is part of the problem really, in the past I've either used hacked consumer gear (WRT54G etc), high end CISCO gear (1200 etc), or RFC stuff (pre-N and MANET). All of the Ubiquiti stuff has come well after i stopped doing network stuff.

So current thinking is EdgeRouter 4 and AC Pro for the primary networks.

Still unsure on the public network, unless i use an old AP for that. Suggestions?

Last edited: May 14, 2019
  4. gdjacobs

gdjacobs Member

Either the Edgerouter X or the Mikrotik RB750GR3 would be excellent for home use. They're both a step up in build quality from standard consumer gear, have mature, feature full operating systems, a good amount of SoC power, and come in at a great price point.

5. bryn

bryn Member

do it from the same AC Pro on a different SSID that drops into a different VLAN from the edge router

6. power

power Member

such effort.

i'd recommend an ASUS RT-AC86U it'll do it all.

dave_dave_dave likes this.
  7. OP
    OP
    Azrael

Azrael Member

And how long before I’m back at square one with a single device that is failing...
    Plus for less than the local price for an AC86U, I can get an EdgeRouter X and AC Pro.

Ah of course, forgot about that capability of the edge router.

8. power

power Member

eh, your call the ASUS products are more robust than your current equipment.

9. OP
    OP
    Azrael

Azrael Member

The DSL-AC55U here that requires hourly reboots disagrees with you.