1. OCAU Merchandise is available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion in this thread.
    Dismiss Notice

Wifi Setup and config

Discussion in 'Newbie Lounge' started by NeonTiTan, May 19, 2022.

1. NeonTiTan

NeonTiTan Member

Hi OCAU,

Firstly thanks for helping!

objective here is to optimize my wifi around the house and ease of use.

My question is there a wifi extender that can connect by ethernet port(data in and data out). If there is something like this, what do you guys recommend.

Cheers!

2. macktheknife

macktheknife Member

What is your current router/modem? Budget?

The cheapest option will be just add a normal wireless access point. They can cost below $100 and you just switch what access point your devices uses when you move into the area of the AP instead of the router's wifi.

A more expensive option will be a mesh wifi system so you can move between the areas without having to switch the access point. This setup would be something like an Asus RT-AX86S router then their AX Mini XD4 mesh access points connected to the ethernet port to the router and it'll act like a single wifi point.

3. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

I can fully recommend the Ubiquity UniFi AC Pro. I had terrible issues with my router wifi as I have a lot of IoT devices connected wireless, and adding the AC Pro solved every single issue. And I only used one for the whole house, which admittedly isn't huge but all I needed was one and it seems to adequately cover fringe areas also. inside the house is rock solid.

T1tan likes this.
  4. Pugs

Pugs Member

Do you currently have Data Cabling installed?

macktheknife likes this.
  5. Dodge M4S

Dodge M4S Member

I haven't tried it yet, (don't see why it wouldn't work though) but have you got an old ADSL2 router? You could probably turn that into an access point.

6. Pugs

Pugs Member

These can work.. but it wouldn't handle alot modern traffic needs...

7. ir0nhide

ir0nhide Member

Wifi extenders are trash, don't use them.

Cabling is always better when possible but I'm assuming that's out of the question.

Mesh wifi is where it's at, several consumer brands (TPLink, Dlink, Netgear) have decent/good wifi mesh options. Depending on the size of your house you might want to opt for a 3-unit pack versus 2. Make sure to get Wifi6 (also known as AX1800/AX3600/AX4200 etc etc) so you get value long term. For me, the cost of getting cable run vs. a high-end mesh setup was worth spending the extra $$ and hanging several cabled devices off the mesh AP (you can get ones with inbuilt switches but they are exxy).

Elmf likes this.
  8. OP
    OP
    NeonTiTan

NeonTiTan Member

HI All, Thanks for the suggestions.

I ended up doing 2 things. Getting ethernet cable run from office room the lounge room.

Bought the ASUS RT 92U. Went with this over other Mesh wifi 7due to the extra ethernet ports.

the connection now will be.

NBN Wired ASUS1
    Cameras/Alarm Wired to ASUS1
    Computer Wired to ASUS1

ASUS1 Wired to ASUS2
    PS5 Wired to ASUS2

Everything else on the Mesh Wifi.

I havent connected anything up yet. Still waiting on for units to arrive, but let me know what you think and let me if there will be any issues you think I will encounter with this.

Pugs and macktheknife like this.
  9. macktheknife

macktheknife Member

Did you get an asus mesh point or are you just going off the router's wifi?

10. OP
    OP
    NeonTiTan

NeonTiTan Member

I didn't know U need a mesh point. I thought they would sync up using Asus AI mesh. I'll give it a try