Will Ryzen Wraith Spire Cooler fit on a Ryzen 3chip (that comes with a Stealth)?

Discussion in 'AMD x86 CPUs and chipsets' started by Gamelife, Aug 2, 2017.

1. Gamelife

Gamelife Member

Hi friends,

Am in the process of building a ryzen setup and with the release of the 1200/1300x was planning on going with one of those instead.

I see that they come with a Wraith Stealth cooler so am wondering if the higher processor versions, 1500x - onwards that come with the Spire /Max cooler will be compatible with it?

The Stealth has a square base on the bottom of it while the Spire has a round base, was wondering if anyone knows if that will cause an issue, fitment, etc.

(i'm aware they cannot be purchased separately, but may have a chance to get my hands on one so if i am able to, use the Spire instead of the Stealth)

Cheers in advance,

Else, will fork out a little extra for a 212 :confused:

2. mesaoz

mesaoz Member

Any AM4 cooler should work with any AM4 chip/board (within reason)

The board itself should come with the adaptors for the two different cooler mounting types (screw or spring clamp)

3. Dragonfly

Dragonfly Member

4. OP
    OP
    Gamelife

Gamelife Member

Thanks for the replies guys,

Saw they were selling the coolers but would probably just go the 1500x to cover the cost difference / better cooler instead of purchasing separately. Just thought to see in the event i do get my hands on the better cooler from someone else who upgraded without having to fund the additional amount.

i believe both stealth and spire coolers are screw types, just wasn't sure if the base being circle vs square mattered and didn't want to ruin anything before i got into it lol

Cheers

5. OP
    OP
    Gamelife

Gamelife Member

Appears only the wraith max was released for the cooler and probably more worth going aftermarket on the prices.

Unless anyone knows if the Spire is also being released separately? :confused:
    and where to buy one of those by itself instead.

6. gregpolk

gregpolk Member

Doubt they'd sell the spire separately, given the only CPUs anyone would want to use it with already have it bundled. The best bet for buying would just be second hand as a lot of 1700 owners (like myself) would be using aftermarket coolers anyway. You could throw up a WTB thread and see if anyone nearby has their still lying around.

7. Bertross

Bertross Member

8. Dingostolemyghz

Dingostolemyghz Member

9. Bertross

Bertross Member

nice double use! Dat.TIM

10. OP
    OP
    Gamelife

Gamelife Member

Saw that price, figured at that stage be better off going noctua or even a cm seidon liquid instead for the same cost lol

11. TaroT

TaroT Member

that's true but in saying that i have setup 2 1500x's with that cooler(well the stealth spire one) and they are pretty good ...not 90 bucks good but still good.

if it is gong to cost the extra why not get a 1500x...
    only 70 more than a 1300x and faster.

12. AEKaBeer

AEKaBeer Member

Yikes $89! I thought at around $50 it would be great in a mini itx build where a tower cooler like the 212's wouldn't be suitable but for that a 120mm aio is the way to go.

If I recall correctly, the Wraith Max is going to be paired with the top end APU so that still might work if not the spire seems to be more than adequate and quiet enough for the job.

EDIT: Just spotted the Deepcool Maelstrom 120T for only $59 so yeh that settles that.

Last edited: Aug 29, 2017
  13. Bertross

Bertross Member

apparently RGB adds to the value :p

14. Ratzz

Ratzz Member

The wraith Max looks like a pretty good option to me. A proper cooler, heatpipes and all, performs extremely well (140W TDP), and suits an ITX build perfectly.. apart from its height, which may present problems.

As far as I can determine, the Max is 85mm high without a fan. An AIO takes less space at the CPU, but the rad has to go somewhere..

It seems to me that an ITX Ryzen 1700 + Wraith Max, in a Vesa mounted Antek ISK110, would make a fantastic tiny rig. All you would need to do is cut a hole through the top of the mesh and let the cooler protrude. Maybe buy a more powerful PSU, like a 300W G-Unique or similar as well.

If you are going to buy an AIO, spend the extra bucks and buy a H60. The H60 punches way above its weight, well worth the extra 40 bucks or so. Deepcool aren't exactly known for their high performance, you get what you pay for.

Last edited: Aug 29, 2017
  15. AEKaBeer

AEKaBeer Member

Not for $90, at that price you're better off with the low profile Cryorig C1 or one of the Phanteks low profile options.

Deepcool aren't amazing but they've always delivered more performance than equivalent coolers in their price bracket. At $60 this Asetec aio will outperform a $55 212, will be quieter and will fit in smaller cases. As far as the H60 goes, it's just another Asetec cooler with a different shroud, there will be at max a degree or 2 difference in performance that will fall to margin of error.

I guess my biggest issue with the Wraith max is it has about the same performance as a 212 (slightly worse) but costs $34 more. Again the form factor is good but not for the price of a premium air cooler.

16. OP
    OP
    Gamelife

Gamelife Member

do you mind me asking how your average temps were with the 1500x's and the wraith spire cooler?

hadn't originally looked into the 1500 as it was also a 4core processor and the 1600 was a bit of a jump for budget.
    also had the chance to purchase a spire (reason for the original question, to go on the r3 chip) but unfortunately that ship sailed and was sold before i could get to the ballgame. :o

still another 2 months as well before i can even see the sales pages here and find out if one gets posted up on ocau :lol:

will look into those other coolers though and see the difference and space required to mount.

it really does. RGB fanboy life costing the premium.
    that AMD RGB goodness > function of the cooler :p