1. If you're receiving a message that you are banned from the Current Events or Politics forums, it's not you specifically: those forums have been hidden for all users. For more info, see here.
    Dismiss Notice

Will SSD improve HTPC performance?

Discussion in 'HTPC' started by oh_noes, Oct 19, 2010.

1. oh_noes

oh_noes Member

Hopefully this is a quick question. Will an SSD (Vertex 2, $200) improve HTPC performance?

I'm finding Media Portal is fast, but not as responsive as I wish. Going into Samba shares takes ~800ms or so, or a noticeable pause before playing it. I don't shut it down. Suspends take ~5 seconds and resumes take about the same.

Video/Audio quality is perfect. It's a Gigabyte HTPC Motherboard with 4850E with 4GB memory running Windows 7 64bit and Media Portal 1.1.1.0.

2. DavidRa

DavidRa Member

Doesn't sound like it, unless Media Portal caches thumbnails for network content on the local disk.

1s response time is pretty good really - but is that 1s to do anything or 1s to be playing the media? 1s to respond to page up / down is sorta slow. 1s to play stuff is fine :confused:

3. Tekin

Tekin Member

You can setup mediaportal to cache all the thumbnails etc for performance - and in theory if you had them on an SSD they would be quicker.

I'm toying with the idea, but i'm not 100% sold - I might just put this SSD in the missus laptop instead.

Probably better to hit up the mediaportal forums - the guys there are really good - and a lot of them have done optimisation config files for different setups.