Will this work? iCloud and 2 phone numbers

Discussion in 'Apple iOS (OS & Devices)' started by Hater, Nov 5, 2015.

1. Hater

Hater Member

3 devices, an iPhone 5, an iPhone 6, and an iPad Mini. All have the same iCloud account logged in on them.

All have a SIM card in them - One has a Vodafone Australia SIM, the other two EE UK.

The iPhone 5 is sitting in Australia, connected to power, Vodafone and the internet via wireless.

The other two are in my pocket, on the other side of the world.

If someone texts my Australian number, will it be received by the iPhone 5, and then sent via WiFi to the iPhone 6 and iPad which are on the other side of the world?

If so, and I reply from the UK, will it reply using the UK number or the Australian number?

2. Little Man

Little Man Member

I believe this can work, however under Settings > Messages > iMessage (on all 3 phones), you'll want to have both the mob. number and the apple ID email address ticked as 'You can be reached at'.

If senders send you iMessages to the iPhone 5, you should receive messages to the iPhone 6 & iPad, assuming you've ticked your email under 'You can be reached at'.

If senders send you standard SMS to the iPhone 5, by default these wont be fowarded to the iPhone 6 or iPad, until you go to Settings > Messages > Text Message Forwarding (on iPhone 5) and swipe to enable your iPad and iPhone 6 to 'Allow these devices to send and receive text messages from this iPhone'.

As for where these messages will be send from, I'm going to say messages replied to from the iPhone 6/iPad in the UK will be sent to the iPhone 5, which will then forward the reply as a standard SMS. I believe this will be the case because:

- Avoiding international SMS charges
    - It doesn't seem logical for messages to be sent to a device (e.g iPhone 5) and then the sender receiving responses from other devices; breaks down the privacy of the 2-way communication that's been established.