1. OCAU Merchandise now available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion here.
    Dismiss Notice

Win 7 on iMac (keyboard/mouse issues)

Discussion in 'Apple Desktop Hardware/Software' started by glenpinn, Mar 28, 2011.

1. glenpinn

glenpinn Member

as per title, i have just got round to installing Win 7 home premium 64bit onto my sons 21.5" iMac (bootcamp) and he is pretty happy with it so far.

gaming seems to be quite fine given the 3.0ghz cpu (e7400) and 4gb ram and 4670 graphics, and crysis runs on medium pretty well.

now, he has got 2 issues, his apple wireless mouse takes ages to activate after the mac has booted onto the desktop, and sometimes it locks up or vanishes from his screen, and the wireless keyboard has a couple of keys that are performing a different function to what it should be doing.

so, is there anything here that sounds familiar, and anyone knows of a fix for this.

cheers

2. jania

jania Member

Win 7

Hi there i have had an issue like this in the past month and i seem to have solved by reinstall the bluetooth and keyboard drivers using the Mac dvds provided, this solved all the locking and mouse issues i had.

3. sickbunny

sickbunny Member

Try reinstalling or updating the boot camp drivers within windows.

Edit. Too slow lol

4. OP
    OP
    glenpinn

glenpinn Member

ok thx, i actually just read thru the 13 page bootcamp installation guide again, and found a section dedicated to things like driver issues (not installing properly etc) and it recommended to insert the Mac disc and rather than let it auto run or start the setup, just open the disc up and locate the individual drivers required for re-installation.

seems the best way to go at the moment and see what happens.

cheers

5. 5p1k3y

5p1k3y Member

imo, buying a windows KB and mouse is probably a better option. he ll get more keys as well.

6. jboles

jboles Member

I think if you install the apple keyboard driver takes care of the remapping of the keys but if it doesn't try something like this. i use it on my pc with mac keyboard to swap the alt/windows keys to where they should be.

7. Evo6

Evo6 Member

make sure you have updated boot camp the current version, i have a 27" imac also and the newer version of bootcamp that you download from apple includes updated drivers for everything and fixed a lot of my issues. Been playing Crysis 2 on my imac the last few days and its awesome..

8. OP
    OP
    glenpinn

glenpinn Member

ok thx, i didnt think of updating bootcamp.
    do i do it from the imac itself so it gets updated automatically or do we save the download and self install it (not sure how its done)

also, my son can play crysis on medium using the 4670 graphics, so his gaming performance has dropped a bit over using his e8400 with the 4870 dual edition card, but he doesnt game as much now so its not a problem.

last point, if he uses a windows keyboard and mouse with the mac while running bootcamp, will it be fine for mac as well, or need to swap back and forth.

im happy to get him a wireless KB and mouse for windows if needed if it makes it easier.

cheers

EDIT: my son tells me this morning that mac did updates yesterday and bootcamp was one of them in the ones he saw being done.
    he also uses his logitech wired gaming mouse as well, the mac mouse he said was a pain for games, and i offered to get him a new/2nd hand wireless keyboard and mouse set that will suit him for both mac and windows use on the iMac, given he will still be doing a bit of gaming.

an i finally get to sell his e8400 gaming pc and 24" screen.

Last edited: Apr 2, 2011